The new business is building

jasper3

Well this has been some journey :) after years of looking and getting knocked back, we finally bought our piece of land ,

20 acres of slope :lol: i 1st looked at it alone, then took the wife down…i had never heard her swear before…*** was her exact words :lol::lol: i think my reply was….Trust me… :lol:

anyway to cut a long story short..she soon fell in love with the place and we made the offer……most land down here is about 10k per acre…but it seemed no one wanted a slope, so we managed to get if for 3k an acre :yahoo:

_CDP0990_zpsqkwvjtg7.jpg

anyway, there are a few bits of flat land, so i managed to get planning for a barn….i really need one for the business...

we have never done anything like this before, in fact, i had never even planted anything to speak of….

today, sees our little 30 tree cider apple orchard starting to leaf up and blossom, along with the 9 other fruit trees,

we have built our 1st pig pen and half way through our goat paddock, …..loving the learning, especial stock fencing,

then we will be getting our 1st sheep for the top field….

so happy at the way things are at long last turning out…lots of hard work and long days, but loving every minute of it :yes:

DSCF1585_zpsbnubxfda.jpg

DSCF1515_zpso9yde0rc.jpg

bought me self a little run down massey to do the digging ..slowly but surly she is doing what needs done

DSCF1469_zpsaf6f8tpr.jpg

DSCF1458_zps03eiu40p.jpg

so hopefully by august, we will have our 1st free range meat on the market :)

Edited by jasper3

What a fantastic life choice for you both, albeit a really tough one. I wish you every success with your venture and really hope that you reap the rewards of your efforts and ambitions.

Very best of luck and fingers crossed for a great first harvest.

Edited by grrclark

certainly hard work, but it don't seem like it…can't remember when we enjoyed working so hard :lol: and getting a great feeling..we where indeed lucky to find land at that price, i heard many never even got out the car when they seen the slope...

that certainly worked in our favour, yet if they had looked across the valley, they would have seen all the other slopes being worked…the sheep will graze on the steepest parts,

one of the biggest things for us has been the acceptance from the neighbours, the offer of help has been mind blowing, the Cornish are not a bad bunch really :lol: and we are only 3 miles from the sea...

feeling very very lucky

certainly hard work, but it don't seem like itcan't remember when we enjoyed working so hard :lol: and getting a great feeling..we where indeed lucky to find land at that price, i heard many never even got out the car when they seen the slope...

that certainly worked in our favour, yet if they had looked across the valley, they would have seen all the other slopes being workedthe sheep will graze on the steepest parts,

one of the biggest things for us has been the acceptance from the neighbours, the offer of help has been mind blowing, the Cornish are not a bad bunch really :lol: and we are only 3 miles from the sea...

feeling very very lucky

Any deer in them woods ? You wouldn't want em eating all your lovely cider apples now. I'd better come down n sort em out for you ;) lol

It would seem on the face of it that you have had a ‘Long Uphill struggle’ to secure for yourself a ‘Long Uphill struggle’. :)

You must be made of extremely ‘tough stuff’, may you ‘Thrive and Prosper’ in your new enterprise and I wish you every success! :good:

Regards

I bought a farm house and 20 acres in the late 80s for £92,500 i dug a 1/2 acre pond and planted trees the prices they are fetching nowadays is ludicrous if you are truing to buy a derelict bungalow near me went for £330,000 but who's complaining

loads of deer, we are surrounded by forest… i will be adding a pond, seeing as we get so many ducks arriving at the stream , rabbits everywhere along with pigeons rooks crows jays maggies …..and not forgetting buzzards, sparrow hawk , goshawk and heard a little owl

the place is magic, haven't seen charlie yet, but no doubt when the chooks get there, he will turn up

when the time comes, we want to promote the business with a bird of prey display, and maybe a gun dog training day..just pondering on a few ideas, but one step at a time

Hi You, glad you made it,

Don't forget an electric wire around the bottom of the pig enclosure, or barbed wire if you don't have a fencer unit, don't want to see your hard work spoiled. if they want to get out they will. make them think twice :yes:

Hi You, glad you made it,

Don't forget an electric wire around the bottom of the pig enclosure, or barbed wire if you don't have a fencer unit, don't want to see your hard work spoiled. if they want to get out they will. make them think twice :yes:

Hi tonker..hope you are well mate…

yes i have bought a solar powered electric fence system …going to run two polywire cables around the bottom ,