Cleaning Multi Chokes

Old Boggy

Being a bit new to under & overs having shot mainly with side by sides all my life, although I did have a 20 bore Macnab Highlander which had fixed chokes, so the query never arose, I now have a Ceasar Guerini 20 bore with multi chokes which I use quite frequently.

My question is, how often should I remove the chokes for cleaning ?

I am not obsessed with forever changing chokes and stick generally to I.C & 1/4 for all my shooting which these days is mainly pigeon decoying and walked up game in season, with perhaps 1/4 & 1/2 for flighting, so the chokes remain in the gun for long periods unchanged.

Maybe I'm wrong and stand to be corrected, but firmly belief that with the confidence of whatever cartridge is being used and the gun held straight, then it does the job so don't wish to become paranoid about whether the correct choke is being used.

To remove the chokes each time I use the gun and clean it seems somewhat excessive.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, although I suppose using common sense would tell me every so often, whenever that is !!

Many thanks for any replies,

OB

I don't like changing chokes once I've found what works for me.

Have sometimes left them in for up to a year.

When I do clean them it's a pretty intensive job. I get the choke and internal threads perfectly clean with hot soapy water / white spirit.

Then make sure they're dry with a hair dryer. Then I completely smother the internal threads and choke exterior with lithium grease.

Then do it up as tight as I can by hand with a tapered wrench. Lots of excess grease to wipe off and push tissue paper through the bore.

Only take them out many months later on a rainy/boring day. A bit of heat hairdryer/radiator will slacken the threads ever so slightly and then straight out with the tapered wrench again.

Only do mine every few hundred shells. Never had a problem with them sticking. I always check them before they go in to ensure they're in perfect nick (I simply wouldn't use any choke which had burrs or other faults) and put a very light coat of gun oil on their external face. Never had one stick or cause a problem yet.

Edited by Savhmr

Many thanks for the replies.

I thought that cleaning every time the gun is cleaned was a bit OTT but wished to check with those far more experienced in such things than me so will take a balanced view from the replies.

Thanks,

OB

Bought a semi auto with a skeet choke jammed in it! Broke a key trying to remove it because it had just about seized in the threads. Had to leave it soaking in DP-80 over night then use a heavy duty beretta key to remove the choke and thread cutter to clean out the ****. Ran a chamber brush in a cordless drill into the threads to clean them properly! Then light coat of grease before fitting my 3/4 choke!

• 2 months later...

Mine are cleaned after every shoot. Anyone who had seen the proof house disasters would know that these days most problems with shotguns is down to chokes, either damaged or not seated correctly etc etc. Realistically how much longer does it take to clean the he gun when doing chokes as well?? I'm happy to admit that I'm a little anal in my gun care but I shoot a lot and my gun is mint! I took the CPSA safety officer course last year and they had some horror stories regarding chokes and gun care.

Clean my guns after every use but I do leave the chokes in for a few months at a time. I coat both the inside of the barrel threads and plain part of the barrels and ghoutside of the chokes with grease, this makes a gas tight seal when done up with the choke key. Every couple of weeks I check them for turning smooth and then retighten. When I find them slightly grainy when undoing them a bit,out they come for cleaning.

Depends how often and how many cartridges you shoot. If you only shoot 25 a week you could get away with checking them regular and cleaning them once or twice a year.

Edited by figgy

Many thanks for all your replies and advice.

I will take the general census of opinion and now clean after every outing. Not worth taking the chance of ruining the barrels for the sake of a few extra minutes whilst cleaning the gun.

Thanks again to all.

OB

Many thanks for all your replies and advice.

I will take the general census of opinion and now clean after every outing. Not worth taking the chance of ruining the barrels for the sake of a few extra minutes whilst cleaning the gun.

Thanks again to all.

OB

Just make sure you oil or grease the threads before refitting. I use Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube, others recommend many other options, Coppaslip or gun greases are supposed to be good.

I clean and oil my guns after every shoot, they're spotless! Then again after 10 years in the Army it's normal behaviour for me.

Non-military types might ‘choke’ on this;

“I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...” :friends:

Full version here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_Creed

Cleaning every time is a waste of time in my opinion

I know a bit about engineering (30 years) don't forget we are talking about chrome plated metals with an interference fit, unless they are loose there's not a lot to go wrong. There is more chance of you getting crud between the interference surfaces taking them in and out.

I do what Henry does a good clean every six months and put copper grease in the threads and make sure I loosen the slightly and tighten them up before I put them away. Mechanics use copper grease on brake components to stop them seizing, you can imagine the temperatures brakes get to

There are gunsmiths that would back this up, the fact is some people love to mess with them and it gives them peace of mind