Could China's Island-Building Spark War?

old'un

Should we be worried about China and US war or is it just sabre rattling on both sides.

Global Times, a tabloid newspaper run by the Communist Party, said that China might have to “accept” there would be conflict with the United States.
“If the United States’ bottom line is that China has to halt its activities, then a US-China war is inevitable in the South China Sea”, said the paper, which is often seen as a mouth-piece of hardline nationalists in the government in Beijing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/11630185/US-China-war-inevitable-unless-Washington-drops-demands-over-South-China-Sea.html

It is sabre rattling and very little else, the US feel duty bound to posture about China's activities and i'm sure the appreciate the hypocrisy of their protest as well given their historical behaviour in establishing military points of presence all around the world.

But is it not possible we could get a situation like that with Turkey downing a Russian plane.

It is sabre rattling and very little else, the US feel duty bound to posture about China's activities and i'm sure the appreciate the hypocrisy of their protest as well given their historical behaviour in establishing military points of presence all around the world.

On the money, merica can't be seen not showing an interest but there is no precedent of their attacking countries that can fight back. Going back to a comment I made on another thread, the world is changing and America's dominance is on the wane in no uncertain terms, Trump and the hatred he so easily appears to be able to whip up are further signs that many are finding it a hard reality to come to terms with.

Edited by Hamster

Given Taiwans' history, they are chancing their luck with this one with such a southern territory. If the US are supporting Taiwan, they are even dummer than I thought. They all like to sabre rattle in the South China seas. There was a spat 3 or 4 years ago but that just shot shells over the bows of other ships ..... nobody got hit.

Given Taiwans' history, they are chancing their luck with this one with such a southern territory. If the US are supporting Taiwan, they are even dummer than I thought. They all like to sabre rattle in the South China seas. There was a spat 3 or 4 years ago but that just shot shells over the bows of other ships ..... nobody got hit.

The Chinese are far from dumb, and a lot of their military tech has got the US looking at its own stuff and getting pretty concerned.

The Chinese are far from dumb, and a lot of their military tech has got the US looking at its own stuff and getting pretty concerned.

In fact their gear is cutting edge. All this is about is a little muscle flexing and the "new" China putting a hand in the water.

Strategically they would like a fixed Aircraft Carrier in this area so have decided to build one.

We found Cyprus handy recently for the very same reason but in a very different circumstance.

In fact their gear is cutting edge. All this is about is a little muscle flexing and the "new" China putting a hand in the water.

Strategically they would like a fixed Aircraft Carrier in this area so have decided to build one.

We found Cyprus handy recently for the very same reason but in a very different circumstance.

Did you notice they only seem too be active in matters close to home and that matter to them in, admittedly disputed, waters they believe are under their authority.

They do not appear to interfere in matters out of what they believe is their territory..... This policy (I am presuming it to be policy) or perhaps just behaviour is the polar opposite of the approach taken by the US.

Did you notice they only seem too be active in matters close to home and that matter to them in, admittedly disputed, waters they believe are under their authority.

They do not appear to interfere in matters out of what they believe is their territory..... This policy (I am presuming it to be policy) or perhaps just behaviour is the polar opposite of the approach taken by the US.

Yes.

I have spent the last five years dealing with and doing business with Chinese people. They are very open about how they would prefer to operate. The Chinese government also know's what needs to be done.

Edited by Whitebridges

That will all change in Africa at some point.

At the moment I suspect corruption and bribery, of which both China and Africa are adept, covers things.

Edited by Penelope