hospitals...

Hendrix's rifle

So, last Wednesday I had a head injury (had a car jacked up on the ramp hit the jack) and up til now have been dizzy and my vision went blurry from time to time. Girl friend made me come to hospital where I have now waiting for 3 hours, considering there was me and another fella was fairly shocking. Just as I was about to walk out a young nurse shouted me and off we went. So after a few tests and hitting me with a stick to check responses she decided to give me a ct scan. I am waiting to go in as we speak but everyone is more interested in clocking off! Good job the nurse is fit! What's everyone's worst experience? Am sure there are many worse than this one am talking about!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was forgot about after back surgery had to go find someone to get consent papers to sign so I could go home that's just the start or is that the end....I am taken legal advise about shocking treatment before and after surgery....if that's our so called super NHS then that can shove it....I will go private if I have to go in again!!!

Went to hospital after a bad car accident with multiple broken bones. After a week of complaining my neck was hurting they finally brought me out of intensive care for an xray only to reveal that I was complaining about my neck because I had actually broke it. A blue light ride to another hospital I had a halo fitted and contracted MRSA. Back to my original hospital and I couldn't eat or talk properly my doctor told my parents they feared I may be brain damaged only to find out again I had broke my jaw in 2 places hence my slurred speech and not eating. I had many more things like this during my 7 months in hospital but at the end of the day they saved my life so who am I to complain.

Edited by Luckyshot

3 ambulance visits and 3 taxi trips to hospital ,no clue why my B.P was 187/95 or temp through the roof.then 2 gp doctors visits finally they realised i had Pneumonia .But it then took 7 hours waiting for a bed so they could treat with drip fed meds .So 10 days in total for a light bulb to come on in someones head :no:

Edited by clakk

Hi. Was knocked of my bike on a Tuesday evening and taken to Norwich hospital ,had X-ray and was told I had a very slight fracture on my pelvis,would not need treatment and I could go home in the morning,by Wednesday morning I was screaming with pain and begging for pain relief,doctors came and had a chat and said as I'm in pain they will put me in the scanner when they could fit me in.was eventually given Morphine probabily just to shut me up,what annoyed me the most was the attitude of the nurses basically told me to man up,

Got the scan on Friday morning,wow what a transformation,was immediately given gas and air,intravenous pain relief,and was prepped for surgery and wheeled down to theatre at dinner time.six hour surgery and now all all screwed and plated up.

See pic of the scan,how could they miss that on an X-ray?

So not got much confidence in hospitals at the moment.

post-17530-0-69492200-1460434067_thumb.jpg

3 ambulance visits and 3 taxi trips to hospital ,no clue why my B.P was 187/95 or temp through the roof.then 2 gp doctors visits finally they realised i had Pneumonia .But it then took 7 hours waiting for a bed so they could treat with drip fed meds .So 10 days in total for a light bulb to come on in someones head :no:

Ouch! I've only just got home so no work for me. Bruising on the brain and concussion still from last week. Worst one i had I broke my back a few years ago, finished my days graft, got on my xr250(kickstart only model) started her up and rode straight to hospital without realizing what id actually done! Morphine and then tramadol and a month off work saw me right as rain! Went stir crazy been stuck in though!

Every cloud has a silver lining of some sort.

A few years ago I had a serious water infection requiring a catheter tube insertion. I was in so much pain I simply could not relax a muscle enough for the nurse to push it in.

Some time later a drop dead gorgeous blond doctor was doing her rounds with junior doctors in tow and had a go: After discreetly unbuttoning an upper button of her blouse, she looked at me mischievously and softly said, as she tried to gently insert it "Pee onto my hands David - I don't ask many men to do that for me"

I did and it was a blessed relief too - and some of the staff cheered. :)

Hi. Was knocked of my bike on a Tuesday evening and taken to Norwich hospital ,had X-ray and was told I had a very slight fracture on my pelvis,would not need treatment and I could go home in the morning,by Wednesday morning I was screaming with pain and begging for pain relief,doctors came and had a chat and said as I'm in pain they will put me in the scanner when they could fit me in.was eventually given Morphine probabily just to shut me up,what annoyed me the most was the attitude of the nurses basically told me to man up,

Got the scan on Friday morning,wow what a transformation,was immediately given gas and air,intravenous pain relief,and was prepped for surgery and wheeled down to theatre at dinner time.six hour surgery and now all all screwed and plated up.

See pic of the scan,how could they miss that on an X-ray?

So not got much confidence in hospitals at the moment.

Hope your on the mend! Rather you than me. Broken fingers and hands in not worried about as I've broken all but 1 finger numerous times but that looks like it hurts!!! Up to now, all fingers bar 1, both wrists and hands, dislocated both shoulders, broke my back, 4 or 5 ribs on my right side (on a bike) and my nose. Funnily enough, on my bike 😂

Hope your on the mend! Rather you than me. Broken fingers and hands in not worried about as I've broken all but 1 finger numerous times but that looks like it hurts!!! Up to now, all fingers bar 1, both wrists and hands, dislocated both shoulders, broke my back, 4 or 5 ribs on my right side (on a bike) and my nose. Funnily enough, on my bike

***. Get stabilisers or save up and get a car.

I hope sparkie, reggiegun and fruitloop are reading this :) they might go easy on me lol.

Last Friday I was in our local minor injuries for 15 minutes and in that time I'd been seen by a nurse, X-ray department and nurse again. I've shattered my finger tip and was bleeding . They were excellent .

Stoke hospital : i had to wait 45 minutes for an ambulance to get to me after snapping my leg but first response were 4/5 minutes. On arrival the paramedics removed my gas and air and dumped me in minor injuries for an hour :/ until I was spotted by security passing out. After that I was seen , X-rayed and operated on within 2 days and walked out on the 3rd day on a zimor frame :) .

Good hope : I came home ill from work with back pains. I was sweating and almost screaming. My parents rang the ambulance and on arrival they were rude . They made me walk to the ambulance and made out I was fine. When I arrived at the hospital the a&e were rude and left me to it. They finally tested me and sent me home. The next day I had to go to the doctors and while seeing my doc she asked why I'm not in hospital ? She had seen my results and I was peeing more blood than urine . I had a cyst the size of a chicken egg on my kidney and they had missed it.

I've broken around 18 bones through bikes and work so I'm used to the waiting now.

Been diabetic since I was 10, was brought up on the old mantra lower blood sugar is better, began waking up with one side of my face and body paralysed, actually unable to move it. One day it was so bad I was unable to walk or speak, looked like I had a stroke, just brought our bungalow too, so timing was not ideal, due to get married in 2 months as well.

Doctor called, one look at me and ambulance called, rushed into hospital, put onto MAU, then taken up to ward, then no doctors came to see me, just basically on a ward for 3 days, then one day a doctor doing the rounds looked at my notes and uttered these immortal words "We have been trying to get in touch with you but you were not answering your phone."

After CAT scans and X rays it was determined that my blood sugar was going low overnight and parts of my brain were shutting down until they got glucose.

Edited by secretagentmole

i have to be honest, and say that most of the times I have needed hospital attention its been reasonable quick and the diagnosis has been spot on.

only once did they fluff it up, but it was nothing spectacular.

I have an immense amount of praise, however, for the way Treliske hospital dealt with my daughter the night she was taken in with advanced stages of meningitis.

they did everything they could to save her and every single one of them were genuinely as upset as me and my partner when no more could be done. the young man who was trying to save her was great through the whole thing, extremely professional.

but I know for certain that everyone who worked on Danielle was sent home after, as they were mentally and emotionally drained.

for all of the faults I think that its easy to overlook the hundreds of lives saved by our hospitals and medical staff, and the things they have to endure in the process.

Years ago I went in as a day patient to have a fatty lump removed from my lower back. All gowned up, then the surgery gave me the anesthetic, then had me lay on my stomach.

You may feel some movement but no pain, he said , next I could feel a hot sharp pain, then the feeling of blood running down my side. I jumped up , at which point the surgeon said oops not quite frozen yet, then the nurse assisting starts to giggle.

Operation was finished with me in a cold sweat.

Been diabetic since I was 10, was brought up on the old mantra lower blood sugar is better, began waking up with one side of my face and body paralysed, actually unable to move it. One day it was so bad I was unable to walk or speak, looked like I had a stroke, just brought our bungalow too, so timing was not ideal, due to get married in 2 months as well.

Doctor called, one look at me and ambulance called, rushed into hospital, put onto MAU, then taken up to ward, then no doctors came to see me, just basically on a ward for 3 days, then one day a doctor doing the rounds looked at my notes and uttered these immortal words "We have been trying to get in touch with you but you were not answering your phone."

After CAT scans and X rays it was determined that my blood sugar was going low overnight and parts of my brain were shutting down until they got glucose.

My dad's been diabetic all my life (47)and has always done the exact opposite always a touch on the high side he says he's better off running up and down the road like a 5 year old smashed on haribos than in a coma

Went into hospital after a bout of rectal bleeding for a barium scan. Got all set up and the nurse came in and told me to get in the x ray room and we will give you something to swallow then the scan will go on ect.

Now at this point I know what the aforementioned symptoms could be and I was expecting the barium to be put up the other end so to speak..... so I queried this with the nurse who basically said the consultants doing this and he know what hes doing so I shut up and drank the barium compound and got x rayed. Results came in and were clear so with a sigh of relief I got on with my life for a few months.

Symptoms reoccurred back to the doctors and he referred me for another scan. At this point I was flapping a bit and queried why we were going through it again and he uttered those words you dont want to hear "They did the wrong scan last time".

Back in again for finally the correct scan virtual colonoscopy and given the all clear. Blooming glad it didnt turn out to be what I suspected it was as they would have delayed treatment for close on 9 months due to giving me completely the wrong test.

p.s the picolax experience is one I dont want to go through again in a hurry..................

Yes, picolax is certainly an experience.

Went into hospital after a bout of rectal bleeding for a barium scan. Got all set up and the nurse came in and told me to get in the x ray room and we will give you something to swallow then the scan will go on ect.

Now at this point I know what the aforementioned symptoms could be and I was expecting the barium to be put up the other end so to speak..... so I queried this with the nurse who basically said the consultants doing this and he know what hes doing so I shut up and drank the barium compound and got x rayed. Results came in and were clear so with a sigh of relief I got on with my life for a few months.

Symptoms reoccurred back to the doctors and he referred me for another scan. At this point I was flapping a bit and queried why we were going through it again and he uttered those words you dont want to hear "They did the wrong scan last time".

Back in again for finally the correct scan virtual colonoscopy and given the all clear. Blooming glad it didnt turn out to be what I suspected it was as they would have delayed treatment for close on 9 months due to giving me completely the wrong test.

p.s the picolax experience is one I dont want to go through again in a hurry..................

Feel like I'm bringing a feather duster to a gun fight with this anecdote, after a few scrapes and breaking my leg, I was waiting in casualty for 4 1/2 and got seen (I think) because the people siting next to me kept going up and complaining that I was dripping blood on the floor.

@vulture. That scan looks painful, is there supposed to be a big hole down the middle.

Think most of us have experienced shockingly poor treatment by our NHS, still I think it's better than nothing or having like America where if your insurance ain't good enough tough your not coming in. Time our government stopped spending 12 billion on foreign aid and sorted our health care and aid out first.

So, last Wednesday I had a head injury (had a car jacked up on the ramp hit the jack) and up til now have been dizzy and my vision went blurry from time to time. Girl friend made me come to hospital where I have now waiting for 3 hours, considering there was me and another fella was fairly shocking. Just as I was about to walk out a young nurse shouted me and off we went. So after a few tests and hitting me with a stick to check responses she decided to give me a ct scan. I am waiting to go in as we speak but everyone is more interested in clocking off! Good job the nurse is fit! What's everyone's worst experience? Am sure there are many worse than this one am talking about!

Wait till the nurse isn't looking and sprawl yourself over the floor and lay with your eyes closed! Bet you get seen to quicker then :lol: