Good for the pigeons perhaps.

JDog

My farming friend has had a vertebrae removed completely (it was replaced by four micro Akro props!!).

To minimise recoil problems he bought a Beretta A400 with kick off. It does the job and he shoots problem free.

See if you can locate a try before you buy or maybe a PW member near you has one you can try.

Hopefully you will find a solution to your problem.

Hi JDog I'm sorry to hear of your condition and hope you can resolve it.

Just a couple of observations:-

I've heard your name mentioned and " pain in the neck" a few times ??

Is it the weight of the hat??? In OJW videos you can see the momentum of the hat??

Can you not take a pain killer or will it just get to the point it will be unbearable and prevent normal life taking place.

Should you wish to continue shooting your usual gun I can recommend the RC Romagnola 12 gauge 24gms, in Italian 7.5 so our 7 shot size in fibre wad. I've used it with some success decoying with the usual caveat of keeping to a reasonable distance. You may also be interested in Dave Izzard's ISIS recoil reducing system that's proven in use.

Sorry to here this, as said a semi auto will be a lot easier, my mate has a serious back injury and cannot use an O/U or SxS anymore, he purchased a new Berretta with the kick off system and he now enjoys his shooting again. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Try some Hull Comp X in 21g 7.5 over decoys keep the range sensible and they will kill very well. Or try a gas operated semi auto with 25g 6 shot Lyalvale Express cartridges. You may have to persevere with a semi auto untill you get used to it but with luck it will allow to carry on shooting for many years to come.

As already stated, I believe part of the problem could be the 'umbrella' on yer ed ! Seriously though, I can empathize. I too have been shooting for over 50 years, but I did switch to an auto many years ago, used just for pigeons and wildfowl. I dropped to 1 ozs. loads in my 12 bore S x S and 24 grams in my O/U for clays. I also fitted an Isis 'green' pad from Dave Izzard at Recoil Solutions (01763 837140). You could give him a call, he designed the recoil system after suffering neck and shoulder problems from shooting. I found him to be extremely helpful and not at all 'pushy' regarding his products. I had not shot since April 2015 and ended up having surgery. I began shooting again in January this year, but using the Grandkids 28 bore and then moved up to my Beretta 20 bore with 21 grams. I shot at Hodnet (100 bird sporter) at the start of April, using my Beretta 303 (fitted with an Isis pad) and 28 grams and was reasonably pleased with 75%. I had just started getting back into the shooting when I have now lost the sight in my left eye (detached retina) and am having surgery on Wednesday. I have been warned to expect some sight loss in the eye (right master eye thankfully) and it could be some time before I can shoot again. So, go for the auto and an Isis pad, for the bulk of your shooting and revert to the S x S and lighter loads for the Game Season. Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

Thanks to most of you for considered and sensible suggestions.

My plan is probably to try and shoot with my 20 bore with 21gram cartridges. I will know fairly quickly if that will work or not. Failing that it will be trying my 12 bore with either 21 gram or 23 gram cartridges. If that fails I will look at semi autos. What I have read about their reduced recoil systems is impressive.

Turning to Lloydi's post, one wouldn't imagine that I have sorted him out with some of the best land in the country for shooting rabbits, nor would it be apparent that I have taken him out decoying on a number of occasions and put up with his tardiness, erratic driving and poor sense of humour. Ridiculously I may take him out again when I am next in his area.

If you bought a beretta a400 they will cycle 21g cartridges all day long. Plus if you have kick off system that will reduce. And you can weight it down (Xcel sporter is pretty heavy to begin with).

Good luck and don't give up shooting! You know you'll sell all your gear, miss it too much and spend a fortune buying new stuff.....

Oh J Dog grovel grovel, next time you're down, dinner on me at The Swan or a hostilary of your fine palleted choice By the way, our mutual farmer friend is having major problems with rooks back at big farm, so hurry and get back quick and we can have a good bag....

Love u lots

hello, for my imput JD i would as many advise try the semi auto for pigeons, i have a armsan phenoma and bought for most reason as very little kick using 28 grm and above as i have a weak should from a work related issue although now retired but as yet to try on the pigeon, then find a 20 bore you can shoot with and fits perfect, also have you thought to find a suitable shooting coat with a high collar that could have some sort padding around the neck area but not to much that stops the gun from fitting as should, cheers

A good friend of mine also has issues with shoulder/back problems caused by recoil. He has had a recoil reducing hydraulic piston/butt plate system put on his DT10 which has enabled him to carry on using it.

Something like this: http://www.graco-corp.com/

Not the cheapest solution but if you are having major issues you could try it or even chuck one on a semi auto and have something that recoils like a 410 :)