Semi autos

Walker570

Semi autos are frowned upon for our organised driven days. I could never see why. I am a traditionalist but does tradition stipulate the type of shotgun you can use? If so why aren't O/Us also looked down upon. Is it a safety thing. I would not have thought so, because on a driven day all guns should be in slings between drives when off your peg. Oh!! they throw empty shells all over the place, but so do ejectors, my Yilditz 410 pops them about 8yrds behind me with ease. I did see an American on a posh driven day once many years ago, I was picking up. He had a superb matched pair of Remington 1100s with custom engraving, inlay and some wood to drool over and he could shoot them. I noticed a real snotty nosed sideways attitude from one or two of the guns which was totally uncalled for. His behaviour and sportsmanship was second to none.

What are your views?

Edited by Walker570

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of the age of English SBS guns for formal driven days! For me it is tradition! A state of mind, I can shoot as well as most and better than some with my SBS, I enjoy the look, the feel of and using this Gun! It is a thing of hand made beauty!

I watched from pretty much the start the o/u gradually come into vogue, tried one didn't like it! O/U's are now accepted in the formal shooting field without comment............I have no problem with this.............but the S/A is to my mind a tool that I would not like to see on a driven day! It's like dressing appropriately, I do so because for me, it is part of the enjoyment of the "specialness" of the occasion and respect for the quarry......I use my English Best SBS for the same reason!

The older I get the more I feel tradition is a thing to respect and preserve......

No reason at all why you shouldn't use one for driven game. People frown upon them through a mixture of tradition and snobbery. At one time, O/Us were also frowned upon, but they're accepted these days.

If you want to use a semi-auto for driven game, then just use one. That's what I did. If someone challenges you, just ask them politely for a credible, soild, common sense reason why you can't. I bet they won't have a good one, one without an equally good counter-argument. The guys where I used to shoot driven game didn't, anyway, and I was allowed to carry on.

But then again, I'm very pro-semi-auto! :)

One of the main reasons is that, up until fairly recently, a semi auto could hold 5 shots, which, in theory means a gun could loose off 5 shells at a single bird, which most people would consider to be unsporting behaviour..?

Cat.

Even now they have 3 which can be viewed as unsporting by the 2 shot gang

Personally not that bothered but traditionalists are

I am of the age of English SBS guns for formal driven days! For me it is tradition! A state of mind, I can shoot as well as most and better than some with my SBS, I enjoy the look, the feel of and using this Gun! It is a thing of hand made beauty!

I watched from pretty much the start the o/u gradually come into vogue, tried one didn't like it! O/U's are now accepted in the formal shooting field without comment............I have no problem with this.............but the S/A is to my mind a tool that I would not like to see on a driven day! It's like dressing appropriately, I do so because for me, it is part of the enjoyment of the "specialness" of the occasion and respect for the quarry......I use my English Best SBS for the same reason!

The older I get the more I feel tradition is a thing to respect and preserve......

I will say I use a S/A on the marsh nowadays, as my English magnum 3 inch, 12, SBS is double full choke and as such is unsuitable for hard Non-tox loads, and my Double 8 is a bit heavy for an old bloke to regularly lug around the marsh, although it does get an outing now and again!

As for the O/U's I have one which I use.....occasionally.......for what it was designed....as a clay gun! Lol!

I can remember the time when you would not be welcome using an over and under on a game shoot let alone a semi auto. Funny how times and fashion change and that now O&U's are the accepted choice.

As far as semi's are concerned, I don't honestly think, for many reasons, they have a place in traditional game shooting. Camouflage clothing, unruly dogs, unsporting and greedy shots and semi auto guns are not what traditional driven shooting is all about.

Somewhat like some mothers who take their children to school dressed in pyjamas and Ugboots, why adopt the Essex Girl mentality!

😊 What a toff you are CT! In our syndicate you can use whatever you want, as long as its legal ( e.g. No S1 ) and many pumps and autos have graced our pegs. We have had Lords and Ladies in our syndicate, including MEP's and the occasional Viscount, all guests of the landowner on whose land we shoot.

I honestly don't view any of them as 'unsporting' , any more than I view double gunning as unsporting.

What a toff you are CT! In our syndicate you can use whatever you want, as long as its legal ( e.g. No S1 ) and many pumps and autos have graced our pegs. We have had Lords and Ladies in our syndicate, including MEP's and the occasional Viscount, all guests of the landowner on whose land we shoot.

I honestly don't view any of them as 'unsporting' , any more than I view double gunning as unsporting.

Lords, Ladies, MEP's, a Viscount?..........Sounds like your syndicate welcomes the dregs of society into its ranks! Lol!

I can remember the time when you would not be welcome using an over and under on a game shoot let alone a semi auto. Funny how times and fashion change and that now O&U's are the accepted choice.

As far as semi's are concerned, I don't honestly think, for many reasons, they have a place in traditional game shooting. Camouflage clothing, unruly dogs, unsporting and greedy shots and semi auto guns are not what traditional driven shooting is all about.

Somewhat like some mothers who take their children to school dressed in pyjamas and Ugboots, why adopt the Essex Girl mentality!

We / I'm a bit like this. Sorry. :rolleyes:

Simply it's about the landowner and tradition.

At the same time good luck to those that break the code but don't let the Daily Mail or Chis Packham take the bloody **** please.

What a toff you are CT! In our syndicate you can use whatever you want, as long as its legal ( e.g. No S1 ) and many pumps and autos have graced our pegs. We have had Lords and Ladies in our syndicate, including MEP's and the occasional Viscount, all guests of the landowner on whose land we shoot.

Tis a good job some of us are still left, otherwise topics such as this wouldn't occur

And there was a time when hammerless side by sides were frowned upon and not universally accepted

and classed as unsporting

Hammer guns being de rigueur , and still made into the 1930s

It needs the current crop of Colonel Blimps to die off before attitudes will change in favour of the semi auto

Edited by TDS

Amen to that. I still enjoy a day or two with my 100plus yr old Army & Navy 16 gauge. But I have on occasion taken my Remington 1100 16 gauge, just to watch the sideways glances. I do believe in taking pride in your turn out. I saw a few photos of Becks and his pal Richie. What a couple of scruffs they looked.

No tie and Richie was too idle to fasten his boots correctly. I've seen beaters dressed better.

Edited by Walker570

50% extra fire power will not be welcome. If syndicate members are paying the same price but one member has an unfair advantage? Even if the shots are restricted to two there is likely to be a trail of empties across the ground as they are often very hard to find. Besides they spoil the pictures :)

Whos got the kahoonies to show up with a revo tactical with one of those shell holders on the side and whatever other military bling you can get for them?

I shoot mostly random guns and never care what other people think.

That would make my day :lol: I would love to see something like it.

O/u guns have been around since long before clay pigeons.

Clay pigeons in the shape of glass balls stuffed with feathers have been around since muzzle loading days! Not many O/U's around then eh? Mostly singles and SBS's Lol!

My comment was tongue in cheek as shown by the...Lol!.....I put after the comment!

Whos got the kahoonies to show up with a revo tactical with one of those shell holders on the side and whatever other military bling you can get for them?

I shoot mostly random guns and never care what other people think.

Del Boy Trotter? It wouldn't be so much, a balls issue.... more ignorance and didn't know better! Lol!