congregating smokers

wandringstar

They keep their prices reasonable because they're not tied to Punch or Enterprise and getting strangled by their ludicrous pricing.

These outfits have killed the pubs in our area, **** beer, & expensive at that, most have shut down.

Yet workmens clubs are thriving, £1.60 a beer, along with the tradition bars that haven't nuked the inside to get more asbo's in.

Couple that with the cheap wollop from the supermarkets etc's & it's a no brainer.

Best thing that ever happened was the banning of smoking in the bars, but imo, it has nothing to do with the demise.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think the smoking ban caused the pubs to close,as said earlier culture is changing in this country,families are going out for dinner and not just the dad out twice a week to get legless with his mates,it is a lott better being able to go out for dinner and not leave smelling like an old ashtray,i dont use pubs now other than the ones that do food,but it does make me smile to see people standing outside in rain or freezing temperatures pulling on their fag,sureley its not impossible to go without one for a couple of hours,and yes i used to smoke did so for almost forty years,one day i decided that i did not want to anymore and gave up,no gum no vap,just willpower that was almost ten years ago and have never been tempted back,i was doing six ounces of tobbaco a week.and looking at the price today i am glad i did.

4.50 quid a pint is what is doing the damage, greed always kills things off, greedy government, breweries and landlords, the irony is, if a pint was £1.50, pubs would be packed, the mindset is all wrong.

If the landlords were greedy and making loads and loads they wouldn't be going out of business would they?!

no they are all greedy and the greed kills the business in the end, I never said they were making loads and loads, they think that people will keep on paying, but they wont, compare it to wetherspoons, where the £1.99 pint is available, and most nights they are busy.

congregating smokers was lost ages ago which was what the thread was meant to be about, might as well close it.

If the landlords were greedy and making loads and loads they wouldn't be going out of business would they?!

Maybe that's the point Lloyd?

If the landlords were not being screwed over by everyone else, suppliers, property owners and the tax man things would have a different dynamic?

Drink drive law and smoking ban must have altered things?

The ban came in up here on the eve of my birthday and it was the best birthday present EVER.... I can now wear a shirt more than once and can see someone at the other end of the bar. Children and dogs can breath in safety and a good f4rt is applauded by all.

Best thing though is you can see how rough the customers are inside by the state of the gaspers outside!

Edited by Red-dot

The working mans club were I go on a Saturday night has two live turns on no cover charge at the door to get in and can still get a pint of Samuel Smith Yorkshire beer for 99pence place is always bizy pint fosters or carling £1.80 there's also a key draw on and bingo half way through the evening can even bring your own sandwiches in and nothings said it's the norm

The working mans club were I go on a Saturday night has two live turns on no cover charge at the door to get in and can still get a pint of Samuel Smith Yorkshire beer for 99pence place is always bizy pint fosters or carling £1.80 there's also a key draw on and bingo half way through the evening can even bring your own sandwiches in and nothings said it's the norm

Smoking I can live with , but bingo is a line that im just not prepared to cross :-).

As I understand it the exclusive so called gentleman's clubs are exempt from the smoking ban.so if the pubs suffered so much from it why did none of them have a room set aside for smoking where drinks could also be taken.it could be the pubs smoking club for members only and you joined at the bar when ordering your drinks.pubs are suffering because of taxes and also because society is evolving.

As I understand it the exclusive so called gentleman's clubs are exempt from the smoking ban.so if the pubs suffered so much from it why did none of them have a room set aside for smoking where drinks could also be taken.it could be the pubs smoking club for members only and you joined at the bar when ordering your drinks.pubs are suffering because of taxes and also because society is evolving.

can,t see this, someone must work there,therefore it is a workplace? :hmm: