Most consistent.22lr ammo

I've recently returned to the .22lr fold,

I've been using 40 grain Winchester subs and they seem ok.

My only criticism is the regular "fliers" I seem to keep getting.

I've also noticed quite a few damaged rounds that won't chamber.

Before I rush out and buy a box of every .22lr available

Is there an old reliable round I should be trying?

What' are the most consistent subs?

Cheers Dave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your gun will have a preference for some brands.

RWS HPs are great; I used RWS competition line for target shooting, their field line is great.

Eleys are also good, same with Lapua.

CCIs will work in pretty much most barrel, but never extremely well.

See if you can get a few different boxes and then test them out in the field. Just make sure to run a few through the barrel when switching brands as you can get fliers when clearing out the last foul.

as has been mentioned depends on what your barrel likes mine likes eley my mates likes Winchester and another pal likes cci its handy if you can beg a few different brands off any pals to try out but since Winchester changed to 42g some people don't get on with them others found them better worst ones for me were rws

Your gun will have a preference for some brands.

RWS HPs are great; I used RWS competition line for target shooting, their field line is great.

Eleys are also good, same with Lapua.

CCIs will work in pretty much most barrel, but never extremely well.

See if you can get a few different boxes and then test them out in the field. Just make sure to run a few through the barrel when switching brands as you can get fliers when clearing out the last foul.

Plus 1.

Most brands have the odd "flier".

In my opinion, and experience, your gun will shoot best with whatever suits it best. And that can only be with trial and error.

And as already mentioned in a previous post for consistency, clean before trying a new brand.

Jamie

as a full time rabbit trapper for meny years in scotland and it was a bad job if i didnt shoot 18 000 to 20 000 rabbits a year i swear by winchester then it was 40 gram through a winchester 94 22 model underlever model 94 22 xtr tube feed magazine all i can say is they never let me down and they could be bought just about any where also i used to use a krico one of the best triggers on a rifle production model bolt action ever made not doing as much now but got up to the island of canna on a contract to kill 16000 and took the 42 gram again never let me down but they are cheap enough so go to gunshop and buy a box of 50 of every thing he has and try them then decide cheers george

I like RWS. Son in law uses a CZ auto and it will not load the 42 grn Winchester Up. The extra couple of grns of lead seems to make the round a bit bull nosed and quite often the nose would catch up on the top of the action and crumple the round! I took the 500 odd rounds of the 42 grn off of him and he now uses CCI

It's a T bolt.

My gun will shoot most brands quite well it would seem

I know this because I got a box of odds and ends given by a mate, no idea what they were except they were all subs and looked to be about 10 different types!

And they all shot where I wanted.

That's why I was asking about consistent rounds, I get good groups with the winnie's but irritatingly annoying fliers that do nothing for my confidence

I think I'll try a box of Eley they've had a few votes.

Thanks fellas

42 gr Winchesters, nothing gets up to complain, no bucking and weaving just dead.

And at £9.00 a100 what's to complain about.

I actually have a box of 42 grainers not tried them yet.

FWIW I believe it's down to quality control.

During my quest I found I could change my rifle performance simply by changing the torque on the action screws. Mine likes 40 inch lbs, it is pillar bedded, I may go full bedding soon. Yours will have its own preference. I found it was possible to change the barrel harmonics by changing/altering the moderator. I dropped two segments off my A-Tec mod and saw a significant improvement in groups with no change in suppression. You might see no change, but worth a go if you can.

The rim thickness on the rounds has an affect. (Quality control?) Some say it results in more primer compound, others say different head space, either way, the cheap stuff tends to give more flyers in my rifle. I know sorting them works and reduces flyers, but for me, life is too short. I tried pretty much every brand when I started searching for "the one" Some are truly terrible, others just awful. I wanted a rifle that would shoot the center out of a one inch target spot at 100 yds every time, no exceptions. My testing showed me that Eley Tenex simply has no peers for long range (100+ in a 22lr) However I settled on RWS subsonic 40 grn for everyday use. I found that RWS seem to have less flyers and groups as well as Eley subsonic hp at all ranges out to 75 yds. Both are "minute of Bunny" The Eley subsonic had a tenancy to spit one out of the group and it was too irritating to use them full time. The RWS was better in that regard, but was still a World away from the performance of Eley Tenex

These days I simply use Eley Tenex for dialed in long range stuff that needs pin point precision and accept the poorer (but acceptable) accuracy and better (marginally) stopping power of an RWS hp.

I found that Eley Tenex is subsonic on most days, but a hot day might result in the odd burble. The solid point seems to have no trouble stopping rabbits, but I believe they do bounce easier than the hp variety.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by achosenman

FWIW I believe it's down to quality control.

During my quest I found I could change my rifles performance simply by changing the torque on the action screws. Mine likes 40 inch lbs, it is pillar bedded, I may go full bedding soon. Yours will have its own preference. I found it was possible to change the barrel harmonics by changing/altering the the moderator. I dropped two segments off my A-Tec mod and saw a significant improvement in groups with no change in suppression. You might see no change, but worth a go if you can.

The rim thickness on the rounds has an affect. (Quality control?) Some say it results in more primer compound, others say different head space, either way, the cheap stuff tends to give more flyers in my rifle. I know sorting them works and reduces flyers, but for me, life is too short. I have tried pretty much every brand when I started searching for "the one" Some are truly terrible, others just awful. I wanted a rifle that would shoot the center out of a one inch target spot at 100 yds every time, no exceptions. My testing showed me that Eley Tenex simply has no peers for long range (100+ in a 22lr) However I settled on RWS subsonic 40 grn for everyday use. I found that RWS seem to have less flyers and groups as well as Eley subsonic hp at all ranges out to 75 yds. Both are "minute of Bunny" The Eley subsonic had a tenancy to spit one out of the group and it was too irritating to use them full time. The RWS was better in that regard, but was still a World away from the performance of Eley Tenex

These days I simply use Eley Tenex for dialed in long range stuff that needs pin point precision and accept the poorer (but acceptable) accuracy and better (marginally) stopping power of an RWS hp.

I found that Eley Tenex is subsonic on most days, but a hot day might result in the odd burble. The solid point seems to have no trouble stopping rabbits, but I believe they do bounce easier than the hp variety.

Good luck with your search/

Try some R50, I prefer it to Tenex, but my competition barrel never really liked Tenex. RWS and Lapua, it loved but never got the performance from Tenex.

R50 and Tennex seem to be the most popular on the international circuits.

You can't compare RWS HPs to Tenex - very different rounds and prices! R50 and Tenex would be a fairer comparison.

But if you are going down that level, you need to batch test.

ETA: R50, NOT R100! I always mix them up!

Edited by iano

Eley and RWS HP subs for consistency.

42g Winchester HP subs hard hitting but I've been getting the odd cracker.

Agree with Whitebridges but RWS also do a HV HP that is very good if you can get hold of them.

That's what I'd go with. And the RWS hv's are spot on in my anschutz.

Try some R50, I prefer it to Tenex, but my competition barrel never really liked Tenex. RWS and Lapua, it loved but never got the performance from Tenex.

R50 and Tennex seem to be the most popular on the international circuits.

You can't compare RWS HPs to Tenex - very different rounds and prices! R50 and Tenex would be a fairer comparison.

But if you are going down that level, you need to batch test.

ETA: R50, NOT R100! I always mix them up!

I take your point. But for me, performance is performance. No price point involved. It either shoots or it doesn't. I tried RWS R50 in this rifle. I used them for years in a Volquartsen I had before NV became affordable. But even in that barrel, Tenex out performed them. The only reason to use the R50 IMO, was that they seemed to stop rabbits better (softer lead?) and were less greasy for the semi. I must have put around 5000rds of assorted ammo through several barrels and fed the info back to Roger at SYSS.

My current rifle is based on a Sako Finfire action. I have a Lilja match barrel and I believe the chamber is reamed for Eley Tenex cartridges by the factory. The results would seem to indicate that this is true. For me the resultant groups are on a different planet between Tenex and the rubbish out there, and much, much better between the "best of the rest"

Atb

Edited by achosenman