May and fox hunting......

69chris

I have posted elsewhere the front page of the mirror says conservatives bringing back hunting, I was wondering if they won the big landslide would it go back to the vote again, be nice but won't hold my breath.

No law should be introduced based on prejudice.......I do not hunt and have no interest in doing so, but this law was not pushed through because it was an animal welfare issue it was based on class hatred, ignorance and prejudice.......I would have no problem if the hunting with dogs act was repealed!

No law should be introduced based on prejudice.......I do not hunt and have no interest in doing so, but this law was not pushed through because it was an animal welfare issue it was based on class hatred, ignorance and prejudice.......I would have no problem if the hunting with dogs act was repealed!

+1

Totally agree, but it isn't a vote winner.

I'm not much bothered if it does or doesn't get repealed but I think Theresa would be a hypocrite to pursue it given she wants everyone to pull together for Brexit - yet be divisive about fox hunting with dogs with so many more voters set so strongly against the hunting act.

Unfortunately the timing is not right for her - unless umpteen tory MPs are clearly seen to vote to keep it as is - which will irk countryside folk who mainly vote Tory.

If TM gets a huge majority, and all I've seen from Oposition so far suggests she won't have to work too hard to achieve this, then we might see this back on the agenda. Much as I would love to see hunting returned to the countryside I think we should leave this thorny matter as it is. Our little island is very crowded and countryside values continue to be diluted so I think this would create more division. It is becoming increasingly hard to justify even vermin shooting let alone game shooting so chasing foxes etc with a pack of hounds is best left as it is.

It would be good to see the hunting act repealed but it's much better off left alone! Hunts still do what they do with relatively little hassle. You get a couple of high profile hunts agrivated by the antis but on the whole most packs get left alone. Start winding up the hippy vigilante types and it will do nothing but cause trouble.

Have any of you seen the comments that this has generated on Twitter? I was stunned by the amount of misinformed, emotional drivel being spouted by what appear to be people that have never left the "hood" and have no clue of rural matters. Bunch of herbivorous, left wing, thick townies that clearly dont know what they are talking about.

Made my blood boil, I really must stop using social media...

Edited by Wingman

Can't see it being a vote winner in any way, stereotyping now but the working class who were effected and always voted Labour will still vote Labour ( even with the Corbyn and Abbot show ), the middle and upper class who voted Conservative and were effected will still vote Conservative.

Have any of you seen the comments that this has generated on Twitter? I was stunned by the amount of misinformed, emotional drivel being spouted by what appear to be people that have never left the "hood" and have no clue of rural matters. Bunch of herbivorous, left wing, thick townies that clearly dont know what they are talking about.

Made my blood boil, I really must stop using social media...

I haven't seen it but can imagine, you missed out cat owning mirror readers though 😃

I do know that Plaid Cymru went to speak to the Tory party about relaxing certain aspects of the hunting act in relation to the flushing of foxes to guns, by allowing more hounds (I think the number suggested was 10?) after the last general election.

SNP apparently opposed it.

Cheers

Aled

While being rather indifferent to fox hunting, I really can't understand this 'keep a low profile' attitude amongst those who shoot, fish, hunt etc.

It does absolutely no good whatsoever.

After Dunblane a well known shooting organisation advised just the same, thereby the uproar which should have taken place was voiced by a minority whose voices couldn't be heard and were then thrown on the bonfire in the hope the remaing disciplines wouldn't be tarnished by the same brush by association; all done to placate an emotionally charged populace. Despicable.

Stand up and make your voices heard.

Edited by Scully

+1 Even Blair said it was a bad law.

While being rather indifferent to fox hunting, I really can't understand this 'keep a low profile' attitude amongst those who shoot, fish, hunt etc.

It does absolutely no good whatsoever.

After Dunblane a well known shooting organisation advised just the same, thereby the uproar which should have taken place was voiced by a minority whose voices couldn't be heard and were then thrown on the bonfire in the hope the remaing disciplines wouldn't be tarnished by the same brush by association; all done to placate an emotionally charged populace. Despicable.

Stand up and make your voices heard.

+1 again

If TM gets a huge majority, and all I've seen from Oposition so far suggests she won't have to work too hard to achieve this, then we might see this back on the agenda. Much as I would love to see hunting returned to the countryside I think we should leave this thorny matter as it is. Our little island is very crowded and countryside values continue to be diluted so I think this would create more division. It is becoming increasingly hard to justify even vermin shooting let alone game shooting so chasing foxes etc with a pack of hounds is best left as it is.

+1

I do agree it was a bad law and should be voted on again. BUT, I believe this will lose her a lot of votes. Damned if she did and damned if she didn't. She was asked the question and honestly gave the answer. If she had ducked it then the Independent/Guardian et al, would all have made a bigger story of it.

Fox hunts are not in the fox control business, they are in the entertainment business and get along fine as they are at the moment.

I'm a little undecided as to whether or not I agree with all the points raised. However, my indecision should not detract from the fact that this is a well argued superb post.

So, +2.

During a visit to a factory in Leeds, she said: “This is a situation on which individuals will have one view or the other, either pro or against. As it happens, personally I have always been in favour of foxhunting, and we maintain our commitment . . . to allow a free vote. It would allow parliament the opportunity to take the decision on this.”