Neighbours trees blocking light and Sky signal

phaedra1106

My best friends widow is having a problem, the people in the house at the back of her property have massive trees (conifers I think), they used to keep them trimmed but now just can't be bothered.

Last year she had to get her Sky dish moved as they were blocking reception, now a year later it's the same again. The only option would be to re-site the dish to the opposite end of her house, about £80 she simply hasn't got.

The neighbour refuses to trim the trees, they're also blocking the light coming into her kitchen and dining room as well as most of the back garden so it's affecting her quality of life. The last thing she needs is more problems after loosing her husband a few months ago.

She's been onto the local council who flatly refuse to get involved saying it's a civil matter on private property.

Is there anything else she can do?, does she have any legal options that don't involve a large expense?, her husband died with no insurance so she's barely managing on her pension.

I suspect the only option that will get the issue resolved in a reasonable time frame would be contribute to the cost either 50/50 or the whole amount. Note down what you have done to try and settle the issue with the neighbour. If still not satisfactory outcome then ask the council it intervene providing evidence you have tried to resolve the issue yourself.

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes/high-hedges-trees-and-boundaries

Check her home insurance for legal expenses insurance, might provide a free helpline or even pay for some action if possible.

If they are Leylandii then there is a process with the local authority but she needs to pay a certain amount to kick it off.

I used to cut my hedge and an old neighbours, I liked having the hedge there but knew the old dear couldn't cut hers, so to save her the trouble or expense I just did hers along with mine, she was always very grateful, could you go round and offer to cut them? Might save a lot of time and hassle?

I have a similar problem with my neighbour opposite the rear of my garden,he has a tree which must be at least eighty foot high,the top branches are hanging over my garden by at least twenty foot now,its taking light away from the garden and in the autum i have loads of his leafs to clear up,i asked his gardner if he would ask him if he could have them cut back that was three months ago,a solicitor friend of mine said i should put the request in writing and shove it through his door,plus the the tree is home to pigions,magpies and crows.

Go on Gov.uk there is a section on neighbors trees and yes the council can get involved, had the same thing conifers over 4 meters tall, took a while but got them down to 2 meters in the end.

I believe that's right . Behind our other house is a 4/5 meter connifer hedge it's never bothered us but the new neighbours don't like it , they've been to the council and 2 meters is the height .

The council said they will only get involved after the neighbours have tried talking , negotiating then going to some arbitration thing , sounds like it might cost a bit if the tree owners don't want to cut them down .

It's not always straightforward.

There is a large sycamore in my garden that is a pain to both me and my neighbours - and if it fell would practically demolish either part of my property - or their property. We would both like it cut down. However I cannot have it cut down because as a 'conservation area' - I have to get council permission to cut/trim any tree over a certain (quite small) size - and I have requested this 3 times, but been turned down on all occasions.

Thanks for the replies :)

No chance of me cutting them down, they are massive!.

I'll sort out a nice letter to them outlining the impact it's having on her and requesting they reply within 2 weeks saying what action they plan to take to remedy the situation. I'll include a stamped addressed envelope for them so they don't have to buy a stamp!.

If they don't respond I'll send another letter suggesting the use of a mediation service. I'll also mention that if they are unwilling to enter into mediation to resolve things then a formal complaint will be lodged with the local council under Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003. Should the council become involved and agree with her complaint they will be ordered to reduce the trees to a height that will remedy the problems – or prevent them happening again.

Edited by phaedra1106

I have a similar problem with my neighbour opposite the rear of my garden,he has a tree which must be at least eighty foot high,the top branches are hanging over my garden by at least twenty foot now,its taking light away from the garden and in the autum i have loads of his leafs to clear up,i asked his gardner if he would ask him if he could have them cut back that was three months ago,a solicitor friend of mine said i should put the request in writing and shove it through his door,plus the the tree is home to pigions,magpies and crows.

The law governing overhanging branches allows you to remove the offending branches that overhang your boundary but the cuttings remain the property of the owner of the tree.

However you cannot cut them down and throw them over the fence without advising the neighbour what you are doing as that is classed as fly tipping!

We had a similar problem, consulted the neighbour and employed a tree surgeon to cut down and dispose of the offending branches.

Vic.

Do NOT have a BBQ (at the tree end of the garden) in memory of Pete

Do NOT accidentally tip the still lit BBQ bricks onto a rubbish pile near the dividing fence

Do NOT forget to invite me to bring the popcorn & some pine tar, matches, firelighters, etc.

The law governing overhanging branches allows you to remove the offending branches that overhang your boundary but the cuttings remain the property of the owner of the tree.

However you cannot cut them down and throw them over the fence without advising the neighbour what you are doing as that is classed as fly tipping!

We had a similar problem, consulted the neighbour and employed a tree surgeon to cut down and dispose of the offending branches.

Vic.

The law in general does, but if the trees are subject to a tree preservation order (check with council planning) or a conservation area, you need council approval to lop.top or drop.

My best friends widow is having a problem, the people in the house at the back of her property have massive trees (conifers I think), they used to keep them trimmed but now just can't be bothered.

Last year she had to get her Sky dish moved as they were blocking reception, now a year later it's the same again. The only option would be to re-site the dish to the opposite end of her house, about £80 she simply hasn't got.

The neighbour refuses to trim the trees, they're also blocking the light coming into her kitchen and dining room as well as most of the back garden so it's affecting her quality of life. The last thing she needs is more problems after loosing her husband a few months ago.

She's been onto the local council who flatly refuse to get involved saying it's a civil matter on private property.

Is there anything else she can do?, does she have any legal options that don't involve a large expense?, her husband died with no insurance so she's barely managing on her pension.

Get copies of both title deeds and plans for both properties from the HM land registry and see if their is anything about right to lights within them or anything in them about fence/wall heights, quite often there is either in old titles (light rights) or new titles (wall heights).

In scotland we have the high hedges act but in england it is a bit more difficult...

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes/high-hedges-trees-and-boundaries.

I think it can be quite complicated and different for single trees to hedges.

I'd go on a forum called arb talk and either ask te question or search/scroll throu it.

I've read a few similar questions to this before but some of the advice can get quite in depth with legal terms and case law etc.

No offence to the folk on here but many of the folk on there are pro tree surgeons/consultants etc so deal with this type of thing more often and have more experience with this sort of thing.

To be honest she'd be as well paying to have the sky dish moved in the mean time, chances are it will be the cheapest option and also the quickest esp if u need to get arbitration and councils involved

If I read correctly that it's £80 to get it moved solving the problem permanently can you not just have a whip round between family and friends to raise the money. Or set up a go funding page so we all know it's legit and not a scam (nothing meant personally you just never know these days) I'm sure we could get that off here if it's allowed.

I'd pledge money to help her out. It will be a much quicker solution than getting the council involved and doing something about it. Either way I wish her all the best. 425

If I read correctly that it's £80 to get it moved solving the problem permanently can you not just have a whip round between family and friends to raise the money. Or set up a go funding page so we all know it's legit and not a scam (nothing meant personally you just never know these days) I'm sure we could get that off here if it's allowed.

I'd pledge money to help her out. It will be a much quicker solution than getting the council involved and doing something about it. Either way I wish her all the best. 425

And moving the dish will improve the amount of light into her garden & house too?

Sounds like the perfect solution. ...

Her daughter and son-in-law are up this weekend and they're going to go try and persuade the chap to do something about it, if he refuses again they'll give him a copy of the letter and explain what's going to happen along with the possible consequences/fine etc. if they have to get the council involved.

As Saddler has said moving the dish again is an option but it won't prevent the other problems, a fairly bright day yesterday but by 2pm she had to have the lights on in the kitchen to see properly.

Edited by phaedra1106

And moving the dish will improve the amount of light into her garden & house too?

Sounds like the perfect solution. ...

I actually said a quicker solution not perfect. Not sure where the op lives but in Manchester we have these things called lightbulbs. When it gets dark you flick a switch and the light comes on. With my proposition the lady could still watch tv and flick a light on. Or sit in the dark with no tv for months if not years till the council get involved.

I think it's called making the best of a bad situation not doing nothing like a lemon

When it gets dark you flick a switch and the light comes on. With my proposition the lady could still watch tv and flick a light on.

True...it gets dark here at this time of year about 10pm or so, so much more realistic for someone to be forced into flicking the lights on 8 hours before actual darkness falls, I suppose....any idea where all this free electricity will come from? (Even with low energy bulbs & the like)

Another quick solution would be to paint the windows with white emulsion - saves on cleaning the net curtains - a **** solution, yes, but as the that road has already been taken....or she could add to the stress of the year by selling the house & moving to a nice flat that's not overlooked by trees; a nice tower-block maybe?

Still leaves a slightly citric lemony flavour in the air though, as only moving the dish would not be addressing the neighbours lack of compliance with bye-laws & the like on tree height, blocking light access, etc. (the arguments & legalities of which, in law, pre-date satellite dishes by a few decades)

Well you seem to have this fully nailed down don't you so why don't you speak to the op and fix this situation in minutes as you seem to have all the answers.

I've lived without tv before for a few weeks and personally found it a huge comfort when we got it back on. I'd rather have trees blocking the light and have sky tv than wait for months if not years for the council to sort it out. But that's my personal preference.

Why don't you inform the neighbor of these bye laws then the problem will be solved , won't it ??? simples