Wasps

old'un

There were plenty of Queens wasps which made it through winter but around here they got hit by a couple of late frosts and rain!

The ones I'm treating at the moment appear to be a bit behind in their development and nests are still fairy small!

However I've never treated as many Hornets nests!! This has had me thinking about the impact Badgers may be having!!

I work in pest control and this year is the quietest I've had for 18 years. It's the same all over the country. The decent weather we had in spring brought the queens out of hibernation then the weather went cold and wet again which killed a lot of them off.

Badgers do dig out wasp and bees nest to eat whenever they find them, that's quite common.

not a lot of wasps round here this year, there are a few milling about the recycling bins at the moment, it doesn't bother me at all the lack of wasps but I have noticed the lack of bugs in general. The amount of flies in and around the house was noticeably less, very few creatures squashed on the front of the car and I haven't even seen a Crain fly yet and the house is usually over run with the things in September. its a bit early to blame Brexit , global warming or even the weak pound but it is a bit odd.

Never seen a hornets nest until last Sunday! Well I say I saw it...I saw one bloke nip through a gateway and shout wasps and start jumping about, then the girl and her dog run screaming shouting wasps!!! Naturally I declined to attempt to follow and stood there laughing as they ran round the field peeling off layers of clothing. The hornets chased them down the field it was funny to watch but not funny to be them! She got 15 stings and had to get some antihistamines off the ambulance men!

that sounds horrible. how much worse is a hornets sting to a wasp or bee??

never been stung by a Hornet but I know people who have and they told me its far more painful than a bee or wasp sting.

Just hope you never get stung by one of these beasts, Asian Hornet.

post-28535-0-44932000-1506098121_thumb.jpg

There was a few people stung by them. Kept the paramedics busy dishing out antihistamines and a couple of people had steroid injections. They looked nasty. And the way they swarmed after the people that ****** them off was fascinating to watch...from a distance! They looked like wasps on steroids! And full on roid rage!

I grow apples and other fruit for a living so notice when the wasps are about and as many have said there are very few this year despite a lot of queens earlier in the year.

I don't think it was rain that killed them or frost because just here we had neither.

Did have one nest in a bush which is very unusual (and also proves the no rain bit)

Early apples varieties are a magnet for them but not this year and by this time of year (mid/late Sept) the wasps have gone away anyway. Last year I saw more in November than all the rest of the year.

Try making 1000's of litres of apple juice with the doors open, you soon know if there are wasps about.

I too think badgers have played a part in it.

Still plenty on the go up here and right angry ***** they are with the wetter and colder weather.

As for the badgers,pretty sure they are making a big contribution to the decline of the bumble bee.

When the old folks had the farms you knew of a few nests but without doubt you just knew that they would be ripped up some morning by brock.

Our plum tree normally gets a lot of attention from the wasps on any old or dropped fruit, but no problems this year. Likewise with flies not been as many about.

Had plenty of butterflies and got lots of spiders about now.

+1 on spiders. We have some real whoppers in our house. Even the dogs are frightened.

I too have notice the lack of wasps this year. When i was a kid i just to try and shoot lots of dopey wasps while where were eating all the windfall apple. This year there has been none on any apple at all, iv maybe seen 10 wasps all season. However iv seen more mosquitoes then iv ever seen......, guess it all down to favourable weather conditions.

Edited by zipdog

A lot. I still have a hole in my leg from a hornet sting last year when it crawled up the inside of my trouser leg when out pigeon shooting. The surrounding flesh still stays depressed when I push a finger into it.

that sounds horrible. how much worse is a hornets sting to a wasp or bee??

iv'e only seen three this year which suprised me as iv'e a plum tree on my allotment and a green gage tree on the empty plot next door and most of the gages dropped without being picked,I think it was a late frost that killed the queens after a warm spell brought them out early!

I have two pear trees which have gone down with the weight of fruit. Picked as many as we can but still a lot of very ripe pears on the floor and not a wasp in sight but lots of red admiral butterflies. The honey bees are having a great time on something working their little socks off today in that warm sunshine but not a single wasp trying to muscle in. keeping a watchful eye for those Asian thingies as they can spell real trouble to bee hives.

I did kill probably 40 or more queen wasps early in the year.