Gloves

matgriff

Any recommendation for a good pair of gloves for shooting ? I was out the other day, standing around for an hour and thought my fingers were getting a bit cold, and it's only going to get worse over the next couple of months.

Thx

Mat

i like these for hunting

http://www.mechanix.com/multicam-original-tactical-gloves

and riding gloves for shooting

Which ever ones you get practice using them and if your gun has a moveable/adjustable trigger move it back a touch. Lost count of the number of times I've seen people wearing gloves thinking their gun has malfunctioned/wondering why the second shot hasn't gone off and its just because they haven't lifted their finger enough to let the trigger reset!

I have a couple of pairs of shooting gloves I purchased from Cabela's during my last visit. Have a look at their web site. OK the $ is not so good against the £ at the moment but they will post them to you. They have very thin leather palms and inner finger areas and a thin thinsulate type back. They are strangely warm, but if it gets serious cool in a high seat etc then I wear pair of fingerless wool mittens over the top. The trigger fingers are thin enough that you can shoot easily. They also do a shooting Muff which you can suspend around your neck to the front and slide hands in there whilst unoccupied, a small pocket will hold a hand warmer. Brilliant in a high seat or hide.

Edited by Walker570

I havent ever bought shooting gloves but do shoot in my riding gloves occasionally. Macwets are good but a bit pricey. I mostly use SSG gloves at the minute. Their technical racing gloves look a bit futuristic but theyre the same quality as macwets for about £15 a pair. The roekl range of gloves are good and they do so many different types that even if pink zebra stripes float your boat you will be in luck.

If any of you suffer from 'Raynaud's Syndrome' you will know how had it is to find a glove thats any good for shooting, if anyone has suggestions fire away!

wife has reynauds

Base layer with the sleeves you put your thumb thru,

Silk inner glove

Tog 24 Bigfoot over top,

spare sets for it its raining

In addition she has a setup for the torso and a electric heated coat.

this has prolonged the time to onset but in reality all we can do is delay,

These https://www.oliverbrown.org.uk/leather-shooting-mitts#sthash.YvzBsxhY.dpbs or these https://www.williampowell.com/mens/mens-clothing-accessories/mens-gloves/dents-open-palm-leather-shooting-mitts_mgl105

I have the Dents type and they are excellent (can't shoot with fingers or thumb (safety catch) of right hand in gloves). If really cold I have used a normal glove on the left hand, but it doesn't feel right.

Note that with both it can impeded putting hand in pocket to get cartridges, so I use a belt or bag when shooting in these which works well. I find it really difficult to handle cartridges in normal gloves anyway.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Winter golf gloves. They are sold in pairs and have a thin leatherette palm and fingers, and a windproof fleece back. I pay around £12 a pair and have no trouble shooting in them, even with a double trigger gun. I have Macwets, BUT I find the golf gloves far warmer. I must have 6 or 7 different pairs of shooting gloves of all shapes and types, including Dents leather versions. I find the fold back finger variety a pain, the folded finger catches on everything it comes near and just becomes an irritant. The only other type that I use in dry weather are the fingerless woolen type, which have a mitt bit that folds back when shooting. I use gloves all year round for clay shooting, I find the mesh back Macwets or the thin Beretta type the best.

I have a few pairs of Macwets with the climatic back and there good in wind and cold but worse than useless in the wet. Better off without them if it’s wet and windy as they make your hands colder.

Proper thin leather shooting gloves treated with renapur or similar like used on leather boots to waterproof them is what I now use. Also have a spare pair to change at lunch in case it’s really tanking it down as water will eventually get in.

Bit of an off shoot but might be helpful.

I have just been in Cotswold Outdoors, love the shop. I saw on the door that they have a price promise and will not be undersold. I found a pair of Sealskin Dragoneye gloves I wanted. £42.50 in the shop, a quick google and I found them online at Halfords £32. I showed the guy in the shop who immediately dropped the price to match.