Sir Billy Connelly

wisdom

For what reason a knighthood

Being a comedian (allegedly) ?

I don't understand why so called celebs and sports people get such titles awarded.

I think you will find that regardless of opinion re funny or not that his largely understated charity work has got him this award (honour).

I see a few on here happy to ridicule,but unless you are very bitter sad or both surely someone who invests his own good fortune in life to helping other less fortunate should at least be given a little credit .

His charitable commitments have certainly made a difference to many ...can we all say the same ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you will find that regardless of opinion re funny or not that his largely understated charity work has got him this award (honour).

I see a few on here happy to ridicule,but unless you are very bitter sad or both surely someone who invests his own good fortune in life to helping other less fortunate should at least be given a little credit .

His charitable commitments have certainly made a difference to many ...can we all say the same ?

I am not aware of his charity work but even if that is the case does that warrant a knighthood. I thought a knighthood historically was awarded to those that served there country above and beyond the call of duty such as officers leading men into battle and such like.

My goodness, if it ever needed reinforcing of how narrow minded the PW contributive audience is this thread shows it up in spades.

Billy Connolly has single handedly defined a genre in UK commedy. He would be the first to admit that he has stood on the shoulders of giants in establishing his stage, but like those who blazed the trail before him, he is a guiding light for those who followed. Any contemporary stand up comic who relies on the narrative of their story for their comedic act will laud BC.

The story telling comic that doesn't rely on 'jokes', the comedic value of observational humour and the narrative of the story teller. BC is one of the pioneers of observational or situational comedy.

I wish I understood what drives some of the negative remarks on PW sometimes, but I reconcile it to myself the world is full of *** hats and it just so happens many subscribe to this forum!!

.....when Billy goes there wont be any funny men left apart from maybe Peter Kaye. Emmm now let me think.

James Corden NO

Russell Brand NO

Eddie Izzard NO

David Walliams NO

Frankie Boyle NO

The Welsh guy off the P&O cruise ads NO

Rhodd Gilbert NO

Lewis Hamilton NO

Ryland NO

Jedward NO

NO can't think of one...

My goodness, if it ever needed reinforcing of how narrow minded the PW contributive audience is this thread shows it up in spades.

Billy Connolly has single handedly defined a genre in UK commedy. He would be the first to admit that he has stood on the shoulders of giants in establishing his stage, but like those who blazed the trail before him, he is a guiding light for those who followed. Any contemporary stand up comic who relies on the narrative of their story for their comedic act will laud BC.

The story telling comic that doesn't rely on 'jokes', the comedic value of observational humour and the narrative of the story teller. BC is one of the pioneers of observational or situational comedy.

I wish I understood what drives some of the negative remarks on PW sometimes, but I reconcile it to myself the world is full of *** hats and it just so happens many subscribe to this forum!!

That’s no reason for an honour.

A comedy award, perhaps.

:good: I'd like a secret camera pointed at people who purport not to find him funny.

As for the Knighthood, it is what it is, as long as you even have such awards they will continue to be awarded to people who primarily attract the attention due to their public persona, popularity and place in society regardless of their charity work. You could argue that any Knighted person is receiving a superfluous title because they're either paid to do the work they're engaged in or enjoy it and want to do it, many get Knighthoods for reasons little besides the rung of the ladder they were born on.

PS, it is not about whether you find him to be a funny comedian, it's about his achievements throughout his career in different fields.

Incidentally, he's no anti. A few years ago a friend of mine bumped into him at a hotel in North Yorkshire where the GWCT were holding a symposium on grouse. He asked her what it was about. When she explained, he expressed approval. I think he also said he was a keen game fisherman.

I wonder what exactly the criteria is for getting a knighthood???

Runners, cyclists, swimmers, football players, actors, comedians etc etc etc......surely there are people more worthy. ??

What is worthy? What value criteria do you use and why?

Is "worth" someone who is deemed to have made an outstanding contribution in their field, whether that is through continual contribution over a period of time or whether it is a more specific particular contribution that have moved things forward?

If we focus on comedy what is the economic worth of that particular field? Or what is the worth of comedy on our index of personal happiness, lets call it the joy quotient.

I would suggest that "comedy" is something that is prevalent everyday for every individual, whether that is watching a TV show with comedic value, whether it watching or listening to a stand up, maybe listening to a satirical radio show or how the happy mood of someone who has had a good belly laugh has a general positive impact on those that they interact with. It is something that ultimately impacts on all of us every single day in life, whether directly or indirectly.

If the Big Yin has made an outstanding positive contribution to that particular field, and the recognition of his peers over decades suggests that he has, then surely that must be worthy. Something that has a positive impact on every member of our society through everyday interaction and communication, what could be worthier.

Edited by grrclark

I like Billy Connelly; I really couldnt care less whether he or anyone else receives a knighthood.

It means nothing to me to be honest.

Absolutely.

PW needs a thread every award time for folks to get the unjust of someone getting one off their chest.

Like you i dont care,they are dished out and thats the end of it.

I prefer getting my panties in a twist over other matters.

Surely its time to make another petition to get Dodd Digweed Knighted so these moaners can say hes not worthy as hes only contributed to shooting.PW gold.

Edited by sako751sg