Amazing Shot with .22lr

Evil Elvis

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok presuming he is shooting .22 lr hollow point subs at 1050 fps .And zeroed at 50 yds (usual set up) 

And he knows all his aim points on his ret  out to 140 yds and has hit targets of say 4 inches at 140 yds. Which is some good shooting and he estimated 120 yds the dark. (Very hard to do for anybody ) .And lined up the ret on the rabbit and fired and the tabbit dropped. Excellent .subsequently  the range was found to be 167 yds. 

So the difference in drop of the bullet from 120 yds to 167 is around 22 inches or 550 mm nearly 2 foot. Which is a massive difference .And cant usually be made up by being a few yards out, or for having a tail wind , or an incline, or even a bit of a lucky wobble. 

The only explanation is a ricochet off the ground (notorious for a .22 lr) and subsequently  the luckiest /flukeiest shot ive heard of. 

Now I'm not saying .22 lr cant make 170 yd shots (though a rabbit head is a VERY  small target at this range ) and a lot of practise and great conditions it could be possible. 

But at night off sticks ?? 

On airgun forums anybody making similar claims of shots (with extended airgun ranges ) get shot down in flames 

Like wise someone who claims to drop 100 yd pigeons regularly  with a shotty is asking for it to be questioned .

Every gun has its limits and people too .

But We aren't all built the same, some are more gifted than others. 

And it's human nature to push the limits  but the best hunters are the ones who decline more shots than they take. 

And get as close as possible to maximise success. 

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

And it's human nature to push the limits  but the best hunters are the ones who decline more shots than they take. 

And get as close as possible to maximise success. 

Naahh,,

A 50 yard shot or a 300yard shot on a fox

Mmmm

I'll take the 300 yrd shot any day or night, I miss the close one's. 

The chap hit and killed the rabbit. Because folk don't agree with the ethics so what, you wouldn't have taken the shot and the rabbit would still be munching on the grass.  

36 minutes ago, Evil Elvis said:

There are so many people with thier heads up thier rectums on this forum these days!

i stalked munty saw three ( never got a safe shot), till it was dark then shot several foxes with my lamp, no filter and  off my bipod laying on the ground  with a legal calibre for. Foxes .222 there is nothing an fro could say about that 

sanctimonious armchair Male pheasants like you are the whole reason i rarely post on here anymore !!!

I’ll challenge him to do that next time I’m out unless I’ve been arrested  by the pigeonwatch political correctness brigade before I get a chance!!!?

take no notice ee , you have seen it done with your own eyes , and you need justify nothing .

pw is just a mirror to life in general . years ago , a good achievement would get you a pat on the back and a "well done mate" , times have changed now ,  and a good achievement will attract the whiners that are jealous because they think that someone is getting more than them.

theyll scream on about cruelty and feo for a while , but give them another couple of hours and theyll be screaming paedo and racist lol, its just the modern way mate.

tell your mate "well done" , im just jealous that im not so good these days:good:.

There is nothing wrong with the 22lr at range, if you know the distance and can calculate the hold over/wind you can hit it.

My 452 varmit will group at 1" at 100yds of the bipod and this is what is zeroed at (normal target at that range is a 12 bore plaswad end on showing the hard plastic of the bottom and I get them 9/10).

I used to do 2500 rounds a month between plinking, targets and rabbits/crows and when using the gun every day, shooting out to 200yds is doable with a grouping of about 2.5 inches with eley subs.

Yes, you have to pay close attention to the 'minor' details such as wind, elevation, etc but this becomes 2nd nature with enough practice.

I shot and killed a crow at 135 yards with my son witnessing it. Offhand with ay BRNO.

My son thought i was some kind of super sniper and told everyone as much.

I never had the heart to tell him I was aiming at the other one. :D

I don't doubt he hit the rabbit at the claimed distance but a great deal of luck was involved. I don't mean there was no skill involved either.

I hit a 220yd gong the other day with my first shot, offhand, iron sights with my WMR. I was absolutely chuffed to bits.

A week or two later and I ran out of ammo before hitting the same target. :)

I don't know why anyone's getting huffy about anyone else's opinion. If he had estimated the range correctly then made the shot, then that would have been excellent shooting. The fact he underestimated the distance by nearly 50 yards and still made the shot proves it wasn't skill, but luck.  

I'm not commenting on ethics, (although I personally wouldn't use live quarry to "have a go") or FEO or anything else, other than saying that particular shot was a fluke. 

1 hour ago, Evil Elvis said:

There are so many people with thier heads up thier rectums on this forum these days!

i stalked munty saw three ( never got a safe shot), till it was dark then shot several foxes with my lamp, no filter and  off my bipod laying on the ground  with a legal calibre for. Foxes .222 there is nothing an fro could say about that 

sanctimonious armchair Male pheasants like you are the whole reason i rarely post on here anymore !!!

I’ll challenge him to do that next time I’m out unless I’ve been arrested  by the pigeonwatch political correctness brigade before I get a chance!!!?

Are bless Dummy Pram :yes: I was trying to offer advice but it's clearly wasted on the likes of yourself so i won't bother to explain why i posted what i did Oh and being aggressive for all to read/see is another thing that's not clever is it . 

7 minutes ago, walshie said:

I don't know why anyone's getting huffy about anyone else's opinion. If he had estimated the range correctly then made the shot, then that would have been excellent shooting. The fact he underestimated the distance by nearly 50 yards and still made the shot proves it wasn't skill, but luck.  

I'm not commenting on ethics, (although I personally wouldn't use live quarry to "have a go") or FEO or anything else, other than saying that particular shot was a fluke. 

I was merely try to advise things could be interpreted wrongly and FEO etc check theses Forums/sites Nothing more nothing less :good:

knowing how many yards away your target is , makes no difference whatsoever  ***IN SOME INSTANCES !!!*** , unless you have all the information  written down(in your head if you have a good memory) , and to hand , and you have a range finder, and time to check it.

being able to judge a distance accurately , and knowing how far your bullet will drop at that distance , is everything . the key is experience and practice practice practice.

that may not make sense , so ill give an example.

i used to shoot rabbits(around ten per month for years) , at the back of a house that bordered one of my permissions , i could only shoot this field from one direction , and with a very long walk to get to it , it was a lay up and wait job , as the rabbits would leave the huge warren in the garden , and enter the field through a single hole in the fence , the rabbits would sit on a high spot in the field , and i would normally get a couple before it was game over for the day .

now the important part .

in my head , it was a 50/60 yard shot (in reality , the numbers meant nothing), experience had taught me , that if i aimed at the top of the rabbits ears , it gave me a clean head shot , i would never miss , and i would never wound any rabbits(on this particular piece of field). years later , when i could afford a range finder , it turned out that i had been shooting at 90 yards , my range estimation in numerical terms was way out , yet my shooting skill and knowledge meant that the rabbits were cleanly shot.

does anyone else shoot rabbits on undulating ground, when youre unable to see the rabbits head (only its ears) ? , or when a rabbit is behind a tuft of grass and you can only see its ears when youre laying prone(but you can clearly see the rabbit when you lift your head) ?.

and for the record , i mainly shoulder shoot rabbits these days , i dont feel the need to prove myself with headshots any more , and it makes things so much easier.

Nearly all my shooting is rabbits , with the 22 I can comfortably head shoot rabbits off sticks out to 150yds using a rangefinder, confidently in the right conditions ,without the range finder I would struggle as I have a card with the corresponding distances to scope hashmarks,it is all about practice and knowing your scope and rifle,but at the end of the day “ the right conditions” are the main factor

nowadays I find it a lot easier to use the HMR , but again conditions and knowing distance ,scope and rifle make for a head shot rabbit

41 minutes ago, ordnance said:

If you can not consistently hit a target the size of a 10 p pence for rabbits you should not take the shot. Few people could do that at that range. 

Agreed ! At Bisley on the Century range shooting prone,off a bipod with wind flags out and using solid point match ammunition if the conditions are just right then consistently shooting a 10P group is quite possible. Using hollow points off sticks at 150yds + and achieving the same result consistently is championship winning stuff.

A good quality modern match rifle, something like an Anchultz 1913, clamped in the Eley test rig, shooting in a tunnel range with batch tested top grade ammunition (£22/100) barely makes 1moa at 50 yards. It doesn't necessarily follow that  it could maintain 1 moa at 150 yards where slight variations in velocity make a significant difference.

1 moa is over 1.5 inches at 150 yards and  just 5 yard error in distance is another 1.5 inches.

The limiting factor is the ammunition, no matter how skillful you are, if the ammunition is inconsistent the results at longer ranges is mostly luck.

11 minutes ago, 1066 said:

A good quality modern match rifle, something like an Anchultz 1913, clamped in the Eley test rig, shooting in a tunnel range with batch tested top grade ammunition (£22/100) barely makes 1moa at 50 yards. It doesn't necessarily follow that  it could maintain 1 moa at 150 yards where slight variations in velocity make a significant difference.

1 moa is over 1.5 inches at 150 yards and  just 5 yard error in distance is another 1.5 inches.

The limiting factor is the ammunition, no matter how skillful you are, if the ammunition is inconsistent the results at longer ranges is mostly luck.

Exactly, I don't care if you're the best shot in the world. 

Pulling off shots  like this is highly dubious consistently, I'm not saying for one minute it didn't happen, but it was a lucky /fluke shot. 

17 hours ago, walshie said:

If he thought it was 120 yards but it was really 168 yards, where was he aiming? Does that mean if it had been the 120 yards he thought, he'd have missed altogether?

Totally with walshie/others here, he isn't a great shot, he is awful if he thought it was 120 yards.

Look, we all have a go sometimes, and we all like to make the long shots,  but this shooting malarkey isn't a ******* contest.  Be it 120 or 168 its a long way with a .22lr, it's not often I push my HMR out to 168.

Evil Elvis, fact is, like it or not, that is the sort of shot you keep to yourself or you will be told by others it isn't big, it isn't clever and it certainly isn't a good shot!

12 hours ago, walshie said:

I think that's a fair assessment. 

9 hours ago, 1066 said:

Thank you. 

I'm surprised that obviously experienced shooters think that it can't be done.

I'm also surprised that they think that the thousands of times that I've either done it myself ,or seen it done ,was either lucky ,or a lie.

I shoot with guys of all ages and abilities. One of the guys was surprised when I told him that my rim fire was zeroed at 80 yards , and he was even more surprised when he watched me headshoot rabbits at 90 yards on the lamp ,while resting on the bonnet of the car . his rimfire was zeroed at 50 yards , and a 60 yard shot was pushing his limits even in daylight.  On the other hand , I shoot with another guy that will happily use his airgun at 60 yards.

It's just down to ability.

51 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'm also surprised that they think that the thousands of times that I've either done it myself ,or seen it done ,was either lucky ,or a lie.

I shoot with guys of all ages and abilities. One of the guys was surprised when I told him that my rim fire was zeroed at 80 yards , and he was even more surprised when he watched me headshoot rabbits at 90 yards on the lamp ,while resting on the bonnet of the car . his rimfire was zeroed at 50 yards , and a 60 yard shot was pushing his limits even in daylight.  On the other hand , I shoot with another guy that will happily use his airgun at 60 yards.

Who said experienced shooters don't believe it can be done, of course it can be done, but your 90 yards isn't 168 yards and consistency is the name of the game.  In this particular case it was pure luck/fluke, he was shooting at a rabbit 120 yards away when it was actually 168.  There was nothing skillful about that shot.

:hmm::good:

Edited by Dekers

23 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

.  On the other hand , I shoot with another guy that will happily use his airgun at 60 yards.

To be fair, airgun technology has advanced dramatically in the last 20 years, unfortunately the .22lr has not improved one jot in the last 40 years. We are now to the point where a good airgun will outshoot a .22lr out to 100 yards (accuracy wise) and they are still steadily improving. I know we are ham strung by the 12ft lb limit but the rest of the world is moving on with a multitude and different barrel configurations, rifling profiles and twist rates - With a .22lr barrel you get what you're given, almost invariably a 1-16" twist.

In the USA, in their search for more consistent accuracy with the .22lr, the barrel tuner is a common sight - almost never seen here but I'm sure they will start to make an appearance as their benefits are proven.

If you have a look at this post and scroll down to post 10 you will see the results of a head to head between an Edgun Matador and a CZ 455 - The airgun wins out to 100 yards easily.

http://www.nzairgun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1800.0

34 minutes ago, 1066 said:

To be fair, airgun technology has advanced dramatically in the last 20 years, unfortunately the .22lr has not improved one jot in the last 40 years. We are now to the point where a good airgun will outshoot a .22lr out to 100 yards (accuracy wise) and they are still steadily improving. I know we are ham strung by the 12ft lb limit but the rest of the world is moving on with a multitude and different barrel configurations, rifling profiles and twist rates - With a .22lr barrel you get what you're given, almost invariably a 1-16" twist.

In the USA, in their search for more consistent accuracy with the .22lr, the barrel tuner is a common sight - almost never seen here but I'm sure they will start to make an appearance as their benefits are proven.

If you have a look at this post and scroll down to post 10 you will see the results of a head to head between an Edgun Matador and a CZ 455 - The airgun wins out to 100 yards easily.

http://www.nzairgun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1800.0

Absolutely correct.
I did competitive air rifle field target for 15 years, a decent gun/ pellet combo can put pellet on pellet at 50 yards (rested)
A .22lr setup simply cant do that.
Forget about how good a shot the man is, the equipment isnt capable of that sort of consistent accuracy at the sort of yardage we are talking here, and thats if you know the range, which he didnt.
No one is saying the shot didnt come off, no one is being called a liar.
Try it yourself, on a wind less day, get some paper plates with a barbie skewer through them, and stick them in the ground from 100 to 170 yards, do it off a bipod if you like.
Aim for the middle, and tell me what sort of grouping you can achieve.
I dont care what joe bloggs says about taking the eye out of a pteradactyl at 200 yards with his CZ, its along the same lines as uncle Ernies BSA airsporter going through both sides of a metal dustbin at 100 yards, its not something that can be repeated consistently, and thats a fact.
When it comes to quarry, you take the shot that you know 99% of the time you can achieve, for a clean kill.
Its no good taking 'a pop' at it, its not fair to the animal, and it drags the reputation of the shooting community down.

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Indeed it is down to ability. I think you might have misconstrued my previous comments. I don't doubt it can be done, I know it can, but you need to know the range. I've had excellent groupings with my 22lr at 100 yards, but I knew for a fact it was 100 yards before I started shooting.

The point being if someone wildly under or overestimates the range something is at, (and nearly 50 yards is a huge underestimation) how can they hope to hit it?  It's only physics and can easily be calculated but only if you know the variables exactly. Guessing one of those miles out throws the whole calculation out. 

I don't doubt for a minute you personally can headshoot rabbits at 90 yards. Why would you make that up?  However there is a world or difference between doing that off a car bonnet and shooting nearly twice as far after guessing the range wrong and shooting off a single stick. I don't doubt that can be done either, but on purpose? Nah!

Edited by walshie

I sometimes read this forum but very rarely post on it for the same reason as the OP. Somebody has taken the time to make a post regarding something he personally witnessed only to get back a lot of negative comments and sarcasm (very much the lowest form of wit) and assumptions regarding his mate.

For example:

•  

Quote “a future gold medalist at the olympics” Is he going to be in the Olympics then? Where did that one come from?

• Nobody but the person in question knows what the “aim point” used was. He may have said 120 yards as the distance to the target but perhaps he gave it 150 or 175 on the ‘scope.

•  Why shouldn’t “bulk .22LR ammunition" be consistent? Or at least consistent enough to make little or no measurable difference to us average shooters? I accept that there will be those who can detect miniscule changes and compensate for them as second nature but they are the gifted few.

•  

Did the OP ever mention the fact his mate is a novice? He may well be a very experienced shot coming back into rifles after a lay-off. Having had his FAC for one month does not mean he doesn’t possess a wealth of experience.

•  

Why should you have to able to consistently hit a target the size of a 10p piece before shooting Rabbits? A Rabbit is a far bigger target at any range than a 10p piece and it doesn’t have to be a head shot to result in clean kill.

•  

What FEO would be in the slightest bit interested in the subject matter of this post? What reason is there to be?

•  

Where is the mention of “hard frozen ground” in post

•  

To conclude that it must been a ricochet that hit the Rabbit is utterly stupid and completely without foundation, based on nothing but ignorance of the facts. Incidentally facts nobody else but the OP and his mate are fully aware of.

•  

A .22LR set-up cannot put shot on shot at 50 yards? Really? Can that be backed up with hard facts? Those incredibly expensive target rifles must be a right old waste of money then!

As it happens it looks like pretty good shooting to me. It wasn’t just one longish shot but three. Seems fairly consistent I’d say. That’s not to say that a little bit of luck doesn’t enter into it. How many can honestly say that they rely solely on their skill as a shooter and never does luck play any part?

The OP and his mate can consider themselves truly blessed to be told the error of their ways by the PW Gods. Those who not having the facts just make it up, those who know more than the rest of mere mortals put together, those who are whiter than white, those who are legends in their own lunchtimes, etc, etc.

However, it’s nice to see the positive posts on here. Just a pity some others seem to have a need to belittle the views and achievements of others…

32 minutes ago, Stormhound said:

• Why should you have to able to consistently hit a target the size of a 10p piece before shooting Rabbits? A Rabbit is a far bigger target at any range than a 10p piece and it doesn’t have to be a head shot to result in clean kill.

I'm not going to answer all of your points, I really don't think it's worth it.

Suffice to say, you really don't know what you're talking about.

Crack on.

Edited by Rewulf