Weather forcast

ditchman

Here in Sth Norfolk probably 6-8 inches overnight. First proper snow for 8/9 years and as always happens 'we' are totally unprepared. Two youngish dogs rather spooked by this total change to their world. Funny to see black lab just standing there looking at it. Cocker however still trying to find game!! Lovely to see a good covering and the knowledge this isn't going to last. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here at the top of Cambridgeshire we have about 4 inches of snow, unfortunately 4 people died on the roads around Peterborough yesterday morning.

Biggest problem we face now is getting the repeat prescriptions from the dispensary!

I can walk there cross countrybut without a Dispensing Chemist on site they will not issue any medication.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

10 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Here in Sth Norfolk probably 6-8 inches overnight. First proper snow for 8/9 years and as always happens 'we' are totally unprepared. Two youngish dogs rather spooked by this total change to their world. Funny to see black lab just standing there looking at it. Cocker however still trying to find game!! Lovely to see a good covering and the knowledge this isn't going to last. 

Seem strange to walk through the village and not seeing any children , parents parking on the pavements and the snow a good six inches deep.

My Lab is now coming up to three years old and haven't seen snow like it until today , hope everyone is alright and like Norfolk dumpling said , it shouldn't last to long at this time of the year. 

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Seem strange to walk through the village and not seeing any children , parents parking on the pavements and the snow a good six inches deep.

My Lab is now coming up to three years old and haven't seen snow like it until today , hope everyone is alright and like Norfolk dumpling said , it shouldn't last to long at this time of the year. 

My lab and the wife's cocker have had a whale of a time in the garden charging through the snow. So funny to watch them.

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

West Midlands/Worcs border seem to have missed it!......So far! Thin snow settle locally, Light flurries about but roads clear....still "taters" though!

It's way beyond taters here. It's "brisk" with "brass monkeys" interludes. 

A few inches of snow and the country comes too a standstill  compared to 1947 this is just a lambing storm , if we got another 47 with drifts up to 9 ft high  then we would have a storm,   never forget that 47 started in March and where I live in the north  east snow in sheltered valleys was still there in June 

Feltwad

6 or so inch’s now I’m my area, saddleworth, heavy snow forecast for the rest of the day... 3 bags of coal next to the back door and I’m not going out... my Mrs has a couple of patients to see them she’s leaving for the day..beef in the slow cooker and a few cans in the fridge so that’s us for the rest of today..

In '63 I lived in Hingham and we were cut off for nearly 2 weeks. Things got rather critical but RAF Watton - then still operational - dug us out. The snow drifts outside our house were several feet deep although eventually local farmers gave us access to the village shops etc. We still went to school! Today's little dusting is inconvenient at the worst. The pheasants which always follow me when I feed chucks got a little extra today.

15 minutes ago, JDog said:

I have the bad winter of 62/63 to thank for my introduction to pigeon shooting.

If I had known then what I do now I would never have shot so many, or even any as they were in a pitiful condition through lack of food. 

Yes I remember that year  then the main crops that pigeon feed on were Brussel sprouts and fields of kale very little rape .

Feltwad

32 minutes ago, JDog said:

If I had known then what I do now I would never have shot so many, or even any as they were in a pitiful condition through lack of food. 

Same situation here - sat for hours in a field in a cape made from old bed sheet.:)

I can just remember 63/63.  I had no school (the pipes had frozen and burst at the school) for a period and we had no water at home (pipes underground frozen).  My father rolled out a hose every day to the cattle yard (where the heat of the animals kept it frost free) and rolled it back again after filling the tanks in the roof (where a paraffin heater was left burning to protect them from frost).  Electricity was off for some of the time and we cooked and heated water by coal/coke, with very limited gravity circulated central heating.  Open log fire in the sitting room.

My grandfather (who was in his 70s and very arthritic) still commuted weekly by train to London, and was taken to and from the station by LandRover.  The river Avon locally here was frozen thick enough to drive a LandRover along it (as was done by a local garage from the slipway)

35 minutes ago, JDog said:

We shot the pigeons coming on to a kale field with a couple of hammer guns we bought for a fiver the two , cartridges were 12/6d a box ( Yellow Wizards ) and we sold the pigeons at Pettits of Reedham for 9d each , not exactly in the Alan Sugar league but crawling under the kale and shooting a few with one shot we at least got the cartridge money back .

As for the weather, most of the A roads coming in and out of Norfolk are at a standstill and it is still snowing with heavy showers , so if you are in Norfolk and cant get out , hard luck:yes:

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Here at the top of Cambridgeshire we have about 4 inches of snow, unfortunately 4 people died on the roads around Peterborough yesterday morning.

Biggest problem we face now is getting the repeat prescriptions from the dispensary!

I can walk there cross countrybut without a Dispensing Chemist on site they will not issue any medication.

Ring before you set off.

enjoying all the old weather stories, and what's happening around the country.