Grammar and Spelling on Social Media

KB1

Maybe I'm just 'Old School' but these days there seems to be a lot of P poor spelling on Social Media:rolleyes: with the most annoying, being the simple common linking verbs, constantly mashed in a way that a 4 year old would scoff at:sad1:

I see a lot of long winded paragraphs on serious issues, but the atrocious spelling of simple words renders me unable to take the writer's intellect serious.

Do I expect too much?:hmm:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Maybe I'm just 'Old School' but these days there seems to be a lot of P poor spelling on Social Media with the most annoying, being the simple common linking verbs, constantly mashed in a way that a 4 year old would scoff at

I see a lot of long winded paragraphs on serious issues, but the atrocious spelling of simple words renders me unable to take the writer's intellect serious.

Do I expect too much?:hmm:

Probably......................But WHO learns you yer gear english anyway  ???

I don't really mind the spelling, but I cant be bothered to read posts which have no punctuation. Sentences which comprise of 'should of' instead of 'should have' just strike me as lazy, but I can see a time when even novels consist of 'text speak' with many words being abbreviated to the shortest possible length. Obvs, pls, thks etc etc. It's not necessarily a bad thing; our language has changed, developed and evolved over a long time and suppose it always will.  

28 minutes ago, JDog said:

Apostrophe where one is not needed as in 'comma's'.

The grammatical error which always catches my eye is the use of "comprised of" where it should be "composed of" or "comprises" (without the of)

...... Self confessed grammar nazi

1 hour ago, KB1 said:

Maybe I'm just 'Old School' but these days there seems to be a lot of P poor spelling on Social Media with the most annoying, being the simple common linking verbs, constantly mashed in a way that a 4 year old would scoff at

Do I expect too much?

What gets me is people who can't string a sentence without using an emoji

;)

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

What do you say to soothe someone who is upset by poor orthography?

There, their, they're

"incredibly ironically, poor spelling :P"      Think about it….. P Poor:)

Edited by KB1

35 minutes ago, Winston72 said:

Guilty as charged, I didn't spend much time at school:no:, and i am now too lazy to learn, however my knowledge and intellect  is comparable to most on here, braced and ready:ninja:

Who is "i"?

42 minutes ago, Winston72 said:

Guilty as charged, I didn't spend much time at school:no:, and i am now too lazy to learn, however my knowledge and intellect  is comparable to most on here, braced and ready:ninja:

You shouldn't do yourself down.

49 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Brilliant. 

Even better, the need to edit your post and the explanation! 

It made me laugh as soon as I hit post on my original offering.

That is one of the unwritten rules of life, if you are going to make a smart comment about spelling or grammar then best be 100% accurate in what you type.

A soothsayer would have predicted the original error. (That is a rather obvious clue)