Racing pigeon

steve_b_wales

After 8 days on my neighbours and my roof, I have managed to capture a racing pigeon. It's unharmed and can fly. checking the ID on the leg ring, it belongs to someone in Cheshire, and was released in France (according to the owners wife) I am waiting for the owner to phone me back to let me know what to do with the bird. If he doesn't want it, could it be given to someone local who keeps pigeons, or is it better to release the bird away from my area, with the hope it will return? We have been feeding it and giving it water, which, according to the pigeon society, is the wrong thing to do, as the more it's fed/watered, the longer it will stay. At the moment, it's in a box, which is not ideal for the poor thing.

Release him over my hide, anyone that knows me will know he'll be safe as houses!

how did you know he was a racer,could you see the rings from ground level? I only ask as in Bromsgrove high st currently there is a pigeon living with the ferals that has a ring on each leg and I wondered if he might be an escapee?

Pigeon fanciers don't usually want a bird back if it can't make it's own way home, unless it's form a good breed line. Others won't want it as it didn't get home.

If you know someone who's going north ask them to chuck it out further up the road, if the fella had enough faith in it to send it to france, Nantes used to be a big race, then it may well find its way home. 

Locally a lost bird is known as a 'strag'. 

my neighbour raced pigeons  years ago he got one in from yorkshire,me bein a trucker then i said i,ll take it with me i,m goin to yorkshire,so released said pigeon just a few miles from his home,,,,blow me he were back in lancashire before me.

49 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Release him over my hide, anyone that knows me will know he'll be safe as houses!

how did you know he was a racer,could you see the rings from ground level? I only ask as in Bromsgrove high st currently there is a pigeon living with the ferals that has a ring on each leg and I wondered if he might be an escapee?

We captured it and read the ID on the leg ring.

49 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

UPDATE:

The owner has just phoned, and his son is coming to collect it tomorrow ( from Wimslow) A round trip of 368 miles. Out of curiosity, I asked if the bird was worth anything, but the reply was, 'I can't say'. Travelling all that way, I would presume that it's worth quite a bit.

7 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Steve_b_ the pigeon fancier_wales   Now that’s got a good ring to it. 

The only pigeons I fancy are in pie's.:)

My mate at work races pigeons at the top with the big boys from all over the world.

is pigeons go to South Africa 6 weeks before the big race in that time they learn a new country and new home.

he go’s out to watch them come in then comes home with cheque inaccess of £30k

When he sends is young birds to Spain, Portugal France, they get two chance.

if weather is bad but still get home get one more chance, But he would always won’t is best breading birds back as he sends some out with the youngsters.

years ago I use to keep an up to date serial numbers book from the racing pigeon association , every bird I found dead or alive I would ring the owner just to let him know the situation , they were very grateful , there is nothing worse than not knowing where your bird is, if it is being timed or not, just felt I had done my bit . did hear rumors of racers being shot coming through the French valleys on there way home.

6 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

as said let it go, the owner will kill it any way,if it dropped of any where.

I updated my post to say that the owner's son is travelling down to pick up the bird tomorrow - a round trip of 368 miles.

14 minutes ago, kenholland said:

years ago I use to keep an up to date serial numbers book from the racing pigeon association , every bird I found dead or alive I would ring the owner just to let him know the situation , they were very grateful , there is nothing worse than not knowing where your bird is, if it is being timed or not, just felt I had done my bit . did hear rumors of racers being shot coming through the French valleys on there way home.

I do the same too.

We had one fly into our bedroom balcony door one evening. Must have mistaken it for a loft or nice high hidey hole 

Contacted the pigeon accociaction and they passed on our contact number, The owner asked if it was ok and could we keep it in a box for a few days, Feed it and water it then let it go.  I’m sure it comes back every year about the same time and sits outside!! 

I don't know if I should admit this on an open forum but the truth had to come out....

My father kept racing pigeons.

The potentially interesting bit...

He lived in Bletchley - and he met my mother there (originally from Scotland) after she had been called up to work in Bletchley Park with Alan Turing ("a pain in the ****"") on Enigma and (now long passed on) she is on the Bletchley Park roll of Honour.

All secret squirrel stuff and a great place to visit for anyone interested in WWII and / or computers.  Info here https://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/

Somehow (because they should never have been talking about it) he got involved with Bletchley Park and his (extremely dangerous?) "job" during the war was to keep pigeons for the RAF who put them in to bombers for them to fly home with a report note from the survivors if the plane crashed and for the secret services who sent pigeons on missions with agents. Some info here (lots of others available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Pigeon-Service-Operation-Resistance-ebook/dp/B073Z43H1R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527702529&sr=8-1&keywords=pigeons+at+war

Between 1941 and 1944, sixteen thousand plucky homing pigeons were dropped in an arc from Bordeaux to Copenhagen as part of 'Columba' – a secret British operation to bring back intelligence from those living under Nazi occupation. The messages flooded back written on tiny pieces of rice paper tucked into canisters and tied to the legs of the birds. Authentic voices from rural France, the Netherlands and Belgium – they were sometimes comic, often tragic and occasionally invaluable with details of German troop movements and fortifications, new Nazi weapons, radar system or the deployment of the feared V-1 and V-2 rockets that terrorised London.

Unquote

Dad would take the notes received back and give them to some appointed person(s) to pass on. 

The not so interesting bit (and my admission to being involved in a scam).....

I was born in the 1950's and Dad still kept pigeons and I had my own pigeons in the loft that were the older / not-so-good flyers that my dad used to let me call my own.

My admission.....(although I can't believe this was solely my idea) was that I used to take an occasional pigeon to Junior school (aged about 6) and my first "business enterprise" was, at sensible times apart, to sell my pigeon to one of the other lads (for 6d) to take home as a pet for it to be their homing pigeon. Without fail, my pigeon was at home when I got back from school, after the new owner had tested it's homing skills at it's supposedly new house.

Shameful I suppose (but I feel better now it's out).

If there's anyone on here who was caught in my scam, then let me know and I'll repay you your sixpence.

Edited by Eyefor
Linky no worky

7 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

I don't know if I should admit this on an open forum but the truth had to come out....

My father kept racing pigeons.

The potentially interesting bit...

He lived in Bletchley - and he met my mother there (originally from Scotland) after she had been called up to work in Bletchley Park with Alan Turing ("a pain in the ****"") on Enigma and (now long passed on) she is on the Bletchley Park roll of Honour.

All secret squirrel stuff and a great place to visit for anyone interested in WWII and / or computers.  Info here https://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/

Somehow (because they should never have been talking about it) he got involved with Bletchley Park and his (extremely dangerous?) "job" during the war was to keep pigeons for the RAF who put them in to bombers for them to fly home with a report note from the survivors if the plane crashed and for the secret services who sent pigeons on missions with agents. Some info here (lots of others available)

www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Pigeon-Service-Operation-Resistance-ebook/dp/B073Z43H1R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527702529&sr=8-1&keywords=pigeons+at+war

Between 1941 and 1944, sixteen thousand plucky homing pigeons were dropped in an arc from Bordeaux to Copenhagen as part of 'Columba' – a secret British operation to bring back intelligence from those living under Nazi occupation. The messages flooded back written on tiny pieces of rice paper tucked into canisters and tied to the legs of the birds. Authentic voices from rural France, the Netherlands and Belgium – they were sometimes comic, often tragic and occasionally invaluable with details of German troop movements and fortifications, new Nazi weapons, radar system or the deployment of the feared V-1 and V-2 rockets that terrorised London.

Unquote

Dad would take the notes received back and give them to some appointed person(s) to pass on. 

The not so interesting bit (and my admission to being involved in a scam).....

I was born in the 1950's and Dad still kept pigeons and I had my own pigeons in the loft that were the not-so-good flyers that my dad used to let me call my own.

My admission.....(although I can't believe this was solely my idea) was that I used to take an occasional pigeon to Junior school (aged about 6) and my first "business enterprise" was, at sensible times apart, to sell my pigeon to one of the other lads (for 6d) to take home as a pet for it to be their homing pigeon. Without fail, my pigeon was at home when I got back from school, after the new owner had tested it's homing skills at it's supposedly new house.

Shameful I suppose (but I feel better now it's out).

If there's anyone on here who was caught in my scam, then let me know and I'll repay you your sixpence.

???????

You beat my great uncle, he used to sell glass bottles to pubs, then jump over the back wall and get them back, only to go on and sell them to every pub around. 

He also used to go apple picking, and sell them to people 20p each, or 4 for £1 ... he said no one ever cottoned onto that one ?

18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

He also used to go apple picking, and sell them to people 20p each, or 4 for £1 ... he said no one ever cottoned onto that one ?

Reminded me of when i used to work at Baxters Butchers, we used to have small pork pies at 49p each I sold 2 to a women for £1. She thought she had a bargain. ?

1 hour ago, Eyefor said:

Between 1941 and 1944, sixteen thousand plucky homing pigeons were dropped in an arc from Bordeaux to Copenhagen as part of 'Columba'

seems made up with todays instant pictures msgs and satellites, certainly were different times.