Bore snakes ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

Bore snakes, are they any good and if they are what one should i buy in 12 gauge ?

Thanks all.

Depends on how clean you want your gun. 

They are okay as a stop gap but don't replace a proper clean in my opinion. Especially if you are using your gun for wildfowling where salt in the air is a consideration. 

My advice is only ever buy the proper Hoppes boresnakes and not the cheap copies. 

I keep one in each of my gun cases and 1 in the car. They are handy if shooting away from home, rather than taking a cleaning kit or if the gun has had a particularly bad soaking during the day, just a quick wipe through, then a WD spray, before putting the gun away.  I only buy the cheapo ones and bin them as they become worn, but only using them occasionally makes them last a good while.

I use cheap bore snakes in my rifles from 17HMR to 12 bore. They have all come with double cleaning scrubbers embedded in the snakes and the only issue I have had was the .22CF needed a bit of fettling where the platted snake was stitched to the cord. A bit of heating and rolling in my fingers sorted it out. I paid £22.00 for my Hoppes in 243 and think the rest are equally as effective (and cost less for 6 of them). The HMR one has been a God send, as trying to push the Hoppes cleaning rod ( 3 piece section) through the HMR rifle has been next to impossible and at times left me wondering if I would need the help of a gun smith. Easy to clean them by putting in a pillow case in the washing machine (dont tell the other half). There has been stories of bore snakes wearing muzzle crowns but I have used them for 10 years plus on a regular basis and have had no problems as of this time. I may or may not, depends how the mood takes me, do a follow up clean in the traditional manner, but in the main, dont bother as when I have used a bore scrubber to remove copper fouling have found hardly any thing to warrant the effort. I just spray a bit of WD40 on the scrubbing brushes and pull through twice. Job done. Usually do this at the range before heading home and put the guns in the safes until next time. (I usually shoot 3 times a week, sometimes more) just to give you some idea of how often I use them.

If you have a shot gun with chromed barrels, whats not to like

I expect a bit of flack for this, but it works for me and my regular shooting pals.

12 minutes ago, Westley said:

You do not need chrome barrels either, the brush bit is softer than barrel steel and a conventional 'bronze' brush of the type that fits onto a rod and has been used since breech loaders and before does not seem to do any damage !  

As samboy asked which was best for his 12 bore I just made the comment about chromed barrels, of course the snakes work equally well with all barrel types. Didnt mean to imply they only worked on chrome,  just they make chrome sparkle. All my rifle barrels are steel except one of stainless steel. My shottie has chromed tubes!

Edited by Flyboy1950

I use one in my 20b .for a quick clean after a shoot .but then found after a year .carts would start to stick in the barrel after being shot .so i gave it a very good scrubbing with rod etc .

That sorted out the sticking .

So i now rod my gun after say  5 outings and cleans with the snake. 

I do not think they will ever replace rods completely for shotgun cleaning, but they are a lot easier than lugging a cleaning kit around, when away from home. I have a couple of sets of ebonite rods in some of my guncases, but I try not to use them. I even carry a simplified version from Jack Pyke in my pocket when game shooting, it fits into a small plastic case about the size of a 12 bore cartridge. I have never needed to use it BUT several other shooters have had to borrow it  ! 

The original ones were very good and I have one for each calibre and rarely use anything else. The 458 one does fine through my 410s.  However be aware that there has been a change in the way they are made and in the US there has been a lot of situations where the thin cord has parted company with the rope.  Lots of discussion on the Shooting Forum on this.

For a shotgun I see no problem as there does not appear to be the 'tension' as there is with rifle barrels.

Nothing beats a rod if you have a stuck case:good:

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Flyboy1950 said:

I use cheap bore snakes in my rifles from 17HMR to 12 bore. They have all come with double cleaning scrubbers embedded in the snakes and the only issue I have had was the .22CF needed a bit of fettling where the platted snake was stitched to the cord. A bit of heating and rolling in my fingers sorted it out. I paid £22.00 for my Hoppes in 243 and think the rest are equally as effective (and cost less for 6 of them). The HMR one has been a God send, as trying to push the Hoppes cleaning rod ( 3 piece section) through the HMR rifle has been next to impossible and at times left me wondering if I would need the help of a gun smith. Easy to clean them by putting in a pillow case in the washing machine (dont tell the other half). There has been stories of bore snakes wearing muzzle crowns but I have used them for 10 years plus on a regular basis and have had no problems as of this time. I may or may not, depends how the mood takes me, do a follow up clean in the traditional manner, but in the main, dont bother as when I have used a bore scrubber to remove copper fouling have found hardly any thing to warrant the effort. I just spray a bit of WD40 on the scrubbing brushes and pull through twice. Job done. Usually do this at the range before heading home and put the guns in the safes until next time. (I usually shoot 3 times a week, sometimes more) just to give you some idea of how often I use them.

If you have a shot gun with chromed barrels, whats not to like

I expect a bit of flack for this, but it works for me and my regular shooting pals.

No flack from me Paul. Use them regularly especially once I have finished shooting and get back to the car. 

Will you be coming up to the Game Fair in July?

G