• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, snow white said:

How many have payed in to the system

Problem is, most people get more out of society than they pay in for. 

Apparently until your earning over someone like £50k you get more out than you pay towards. 

We don’t realise how great this country is, infrastructure, all the roads, rails, motorways, hospitals, shops, easy access to things. Free education for you, and your kids, free care for the elderly if you don’t have any money. 

People always shout out about how they’ve paid in all their lives and act like they’ve never had anything back. For the vast majority of people you get far more back than you pay in. 

22 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Apparently until your earning over someone like £50k you get more out than you pay towards. 

We don’t realise how great this country is, infrastructure, all the roads, rails, motorways, hospitals, shops, easy access to things. Free education for you, and your kids, free care for the elderly if you don’t have any money. 

People always shout out about how they’ve paid in all their lives and act like they’ve never had anything back. For the vast majority of people you get far more back than you pay in. 

I agree with you Lloyd, but all the time we add more takers in to the mix, the available benefits are dwindling. At least most people are paying their small amounts in and as a whole it works, but we can't keep diluting the mix.

But are you saying it’s ok to have ‘takers’ from one ethnicity and not another- I don’t know what the numbers are exactly but I’m thinking that ‘homegrown’ must surely exceed ‘others’ By a huge magnitude?

Maybe look closer to home in population reduction or do what’s really needed- overhaul the NHS into a part funding system with recommended ‘Assurance’ to fund any differences.

Make a start with charging for failed appointments then take it from there!

Could always make it like Logan’s Run 🙂

, but then PW would have to close due to lack of members

Edited by Jaymo

2 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

But are you saying it’s ok to have ‘takers’ from one ethnicity and not another- I don’t know what the numbers are exactly but I’m thinking that ‘homegrown’ must surely exceed ‘others’ By a huge magnitude?

Maybe look closer to home in population reduction or do what’s really needed- overhaul the NHS into a part funding system with recommended ‘Assurance’ to fund any differences.

Could always make it like Logan’s Run 🙂

, but then PW would have to close due to lack of members

I am happy that anyone who is legally in this country and who is contributing to the "State" can take out.

I do like the idea of a part paid for NHS, but where will you set the bar, we already have a vastly oversubscribed "benefits" system.

Charging for repeated failed appointments is another good start.

2 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

With this all the way - in this day of the mobile phone there is no excuse to at the very least contact.  Some occasions the reasons are genuine but in most cases there is a "can't be bothered" attitude because it costs nothing.  If this is the case you probably did not need the appointment in the first place,

1 minute ago, Yellow Bear said:

With this all the way - in this day of the mobile phone there is no excuse to at the very least contact.  Some occasions the reasons are genuine but in most cases there is a "can't be bothered" attitude because it costs nothing.  If this is the case you probably did not need the appointment in the first place,

Quite agree, I was interested to see that Bournemouth hospital has apparently stationed a Senior Nurse in A+E who looks you over and either lets you join the queue for treatment or tells you to move on to a pharmacist or your GP.

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Quite agree, I was interested to see that Bournemouth hospital has apparently stationed a Senior Nurse in A+E who looks you over and either lets you join the queue for treatment or tells you to move on to a pharmacist or your GP.

Oh that is a positive move indeed.

Having received healthcare intervention in a few Countries, this one really is a great system- but the principle is now outdated and far far from its original implementation.

Other nations have a tiered system so the basics is covered( partially subsidised), but your expected to cover the other part from either your ‘Insurance’ or the Health card contributions as for those unable too such as low income.

During her pregnancy in France, my wife needed an emergency scan which cost us the princely sum of €48 including the consultants etc.

Myself after a nasty accident, needed my arm stitched back together in several places- sutures / cleansing/ injections/ doctor and recovery area cost me €38 from memory- now in the UK that would have been free, but had I had ‘top Up insurance there it would also have most likely been covered too.

Biggest diff was no waiting around for hours but worst part was no digestive biscuits.

Edited by Jaymo

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The problem with this is getting to see a GP.  Where we were before it took a week to get an appointment and up to 3 for a named Dr.  That being said they had, at times, getting on for 20% no shows which did not help.

where we are now it is at most 2 days or may be 7 for named Dr.(partially because not all work a full week at this surgery as 2 are used 6 miles apart), but they still have 2 or 3 "no shows" a day.

I was stood in an A&E recently when a lady (acting as translator) presented with her mother, She had just arrived on holiday to visit her family and on the flight noticed a cancerous tumour  (I can’t recall exactly where) so came straight from the airport  

When asked why she thought it was cancerous she just knew apparently. 

Nothing to do with the fact it had probably been diagnosed ‘at home’  and then decided to book a nice holiday. 

- disclaimer it may not have been and she may have just had a gall stone or appendix but she seemed convinced it was cancer. 

Make of it what you will. 

Edited by ph5172

If the NHS/government could sort the health tourists out, and make them pay the full cost of their treatment up front!.............the NHS would have plenty of money to fund treatment and develop other services for UK residents, such as the elderly and mental health patients, without the endless cancellations and delays we are currently experiencing!

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If the NHS/government could sort the health tourists out, and make them pay the full cost of their treatment up front!.............the NHS would have plenty of money to fund treatment and develop other services for UK residents, such as the elderly and mental health patients, without the endless cancellations and delays we are currently experiencing!

Do you honestly think that solving the health tourist issue, will solve the rest of the NHS demand issues, then your seriously deluded.

Yes, there should be a charge, nothing excessive and certainly not the true costs of the procedure ( when I was working for the NHS way way back, a CABG ‘Coronary Artery Bypass Graft’ was £11k, just for the procedure and not the aftercare).

You might say why not, but think on this - say it’s a young child who is on holiday in the UK who subsequently suffers an aneurysm. Would you tell the parents it’s “save your child but it’s going to cost you £30k” or are you thinking  of having an ‘allowable’ set circumstances in which payment isn’t required? 

Hey, we could go full apartheid if you wish? 

13 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Do you honestly think that solving the health tourist issue, will solve the rest of the NHS demand issues, then your seriously deluded.

Yes, there should be a charge, nothing excessive and certainly not the true costs of the procedure ( when I was working for the NHS way way back, a CABG ‘Coronary Artery Bypass Graft’ was £11k, just for the procedure and not the aftercare).

You might say why not, but think on this - say it’s a young child who is on holiday in the UK who subsequently suffers an aneurysm. Would you tell the parents it’s “save your child but it’s going to cost you £30k” or are you thinking  of having an ‘allowable’ set circumstances in which payment isn’t required? 

Wouldn't mandatory health insurance cover such eventualities?

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Well said Lloyd 👍 I would add that those earning higher figures are also likely to go for private health and education too, so are subsidising everyone else twice. That's the way of the world it's not all about me. 

Just had the bill for some treatment from last week. Consultation was £150 and mri £350, ct, 450,x ray £179 

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Massive difference between falling ill while your here on holiday and arriving knowing full well you have an existing condition, when I go on holiday I take out insurance to cover medical care abroad like I'm sure most folk do.

I certainly do think that when you book a doctors appointment you should pay a deposit, say £10-20 which is refunded when you turn up, or not if you don't, i was charged for not turning up at the dentist where i also have to pay for a check up so why not at the docs

We have 3 huge immigration magnets in this country. The generous benefits system, the shambolic immigration and refugee vetting process and the NHS. Added together these things are a gigantic drain on the public purse to the extent that we now can't afford to pay for essentials like maintaining the roads or a properly equipped military.

It may be near impossible to prevent health tourism because I for example know 2 women who came here to marry men they'd only met a couple of times. Both had extensive health issues for the NHS to treat, one doesn't work and now has 2 children, the other does work (16 hours of course) but came here with hepatitis C  and Hodgkins lymphoma and has now had 3 cycles of IVF resulting in 1 child. These women and their children represent a significant ongoing cost burden to the public purse and will continue to do so until all the children are past the age for tax credits and hopefully working.

The NHS will ultimately implode if they don't find some alternative funding and/or a slackening in demand. They could start by charging everyone for prescriptions.

I am all for a ‘free’ NHS free at the point of use emergency care for everyone, ongoing care should be limited to those who are ‘entitled to it’ - how that would work would need lots of tinkering. 

If you charged for any appointment I bet a majority of those who don’t turn up would also be exempt due to receiving some form of benefits, so yet again those that pay in would be paying in twice. 

I do see a lot of people sat in A&E who treat it as a gp service, in my limited experience they are usually foreign, that may well be because they are not registered at a gp or possibly because (like most people) they just can’t get in - the current wait at my surgery is 4 weeks a routine appointment is 6-8!! A majority of evening and weekend appointment seem to be taken by people who are clearly retired or on the rock and roll, as confirmed by the doctor,

the NHS when conceived was brilliant but medical advances, the cost of treatment and people living far far longer with the associated ailments means in its current form it just cannot continue to function - look at the survival rate of things that even 10 - 15 years ago would have put you in a box.   

29 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

I am all for a ‘free’ NHS free at the point of use emergency care for everyone, ongoing care should be limited to those who are ‘entitled to it’ - how that would work would need lots of tinkering. 

If you charged for any appointment I bet a majority of those who don’t turn up would also be exempt due to receiving some form of benefits, so yet again those that pay in would be paying in twice. 

I do see a lot of people sat in A&E who treat it as a gp service, in my limited experience they are usually foreign, that may well be because they are not registered at a gp or possibly because (like most people) they just can’t get in - the current wait at my surgery is 4 weeks a routine appointment is 6-8!! A majority of evening and weekend appointment seem to be taken by people who are clearly retired or on the rock and roll, as confirmed by the doctor,

the NHS when conceived was brilliant but medical advances, the cost of treatment and people living far far longer with the associated ailments means in its current form it just cannot continue to function - look at the survival rate of things that even 10 - 15 years ago would have put you in a box.   

A muppet I work with has failed to get himself registered at either doctor or dentist for at least 7 years now.

When he turned up at one of the walk in centres late last year he was told to go away and register rather than waste their time.