Anyone remember these - Winchester Silver

Shooting this morning and approached by John Roberts, who sets the course for  Rishton Clay Club. He produced a couple of these Winchester Silvers, borrowed my gun and smoked a decent pair of targets. He bought them new in 2000, but didn't think they were old stock. I thought Winchester had stopped the compression formed cases well before that. Having said that, I had never even heard of these shells.

Anyone else come across them? Very nice cases, well presented.

IMG_20190421_130230.jpg

IMG_20190421_130250.jpg

7 hours ago, Westley said:

I have used them a long time ago,  when I shot a lot of Ball Trap at the old Knowsley gun club. Seemed to remember they were quite er.............. 'punchy'.  That would have been nearer 30 years ago.  

Wow Westley is that the old club off Perimeter Road in Kirkby I went there on a Sunday mornings in the early to mid 1980’S. That has brought back some long forgotten memories for me. Time is a weird concept.........spooky!

They were made in Italy for Winchester.....I still have the publicity leaflet that the Olin Corporation put out............... I have 1500 Winchester AA in Trap & Skeet....made in 1972! They shoot really well! And I use the cases at least 8 times for my reloads.   The only European case that comes anywhere near for reloading, is the Victory hull.

29 minutes ago, propercartridges said:

at moment no can paint u sum    what is the difference on case colur          u r shooting theese   now    cheers   g

George I am still shooting your lovely smooth 28 gramme Red cased beauty's, 7.5 for clays and the 6 for pigeons, crows and game.

Everyone knows that Red shells are the fastest, followed by blue then you have black for Game and FITASC.

But Winchester Silvers are a lovely cartridge for the longer targets, I used to keep a box or two for FITASC Competitions. Now I use your 6.5s. 

Oh and green cartridges are a ****** to find in the grass!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

16 minutes ago, figgy said:

Seems the Americans stopped importing the cartridges and started having them made in Europe. Remington done the same.

I think much of the reasoning behind that move was to make and sell them in Europe and to avoid having to transport stuff so far.

I remember them well, excellent cartridges as all the old "real" Winchesters were, if memory serves the selling point with the Silvers was that the shot was "counted" into them rather than "weighted" in during the manufacturing process making for better consistency - or so the sales spiel went. 

16 hours ago, Rookandrabbit said:

Wow Westley is that the old club off Perimeter Road in Kirkby I went there on a Sunday mornings in the early to mid 1980’S. That has brought back some long forgotten memories for me. Time is a weird concept.........spooky!

Oh yes, THAT is the one. It holds a lot of memories for me too, most of which I would prefer to forget  !