scouser

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, old man said:

Not for Jeremy Corvid, the politicos as usual will have snouts sunk deep in the troughs.

Some one told me today of an MP claiming over £300.000 expenses, how does that go unchallenged?

What is it £77,000 MP's salary plus up towards £300,000 expenses? The £77,000 was never the true earnings, it was always the money and benefits they get on top of that basic salary that constitutes their true earnings!........But it is easier to hide expenses and perks from the people!

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

What is it £77,000 MP's salary plus up towards £300,000 expenses?

They get a (about half contributory) final salary type pension that would be VERY expensive to source for a private individual worth an additional £9K a year according to the FT.  Pension for serving 10 years is about £22K for a back bench MP.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

So apart from the highlands and islands where I can understand the high cost in ex's why are the Birmingham mp's so high?

MP or MP's....I ain't seen the full list but I can only see one Birmingham MP in the highest claimers?

14 minutes ago, oowee said:

So you would prefer a politician to tell the people they cannot vote on a subject?

I prefer the power to be with the people rather than with the politicians. 

As you say it is up to the politicians to enact the will of the people but what is that apart from leave?If we just leave the EU lots will be unhappy. Leaving everything is the politics of insanity. The politicians need to enact the will of the people. 

Eh? 🤔  The politicians haven't told anyone they couldn't vote! The politicians DID give the people a vote on the subject, and they voted to leave. What is it you can't seem to understand about this?

There IS nothing more apart from the will to leave; that is the options we were given....stay or leave. Like I said, the result of the referendum didn't come with conditions, and yes, if we just leave lots will be unhappy; all those who voted to remain for example, but that's called democracy. Lots are unhappy each time Labour gets into power, or the Tories, but no one demands 'a peoples vote' because they didn't approve. Why is 'leaving everything' the politics of sanity? What are you afraid of? We can agree on your last sentence at least. 

I would be very happy if we just left the eu but i cant see so many leavers happy with that lol 

55 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

How would we know whether the people wanted another vote? How would we find out? Hold a referendum? Or because remainers say we do?

What triggers asking the people whether they want another vote? A majority vote by the UK public? Or because the remainers say so?

Who decides when and whether we need to ask again? The majority or the minority? Remainers are the minority!

Would the referendum question be "do you want another vote, Yes or no?............then if the public voted "yes".......do then we hold another in/out referendum?

If this time the people voted to remain, would leavers be given a chance to reverse this decision too? With a third referendum? And so on ad infinitum

How about after a general election mandate? That would give the answer. :)

5 hours ago, oowee said:

So you would prefer a politician to tell the people they cannot vote on a subject? I prefer the power to be with the people rather than with the politicians. 

As you say it is up to the politicians to enact the will of the people but what is that apart from leave?If we just leave the EU lots will be unhappy. Leaving everything is the politics of insanity. The politicians need to enact the will of the people. 

So in your second referendum, the only options would be leave but on different terms. With no option for remain as this has already been decided?

Or do you still want remain on the list and maybe a couple of options to leave so as to split the leave vote?

Let's get the result of the first referendum out of the way first, then maybe have a second in 40 odd years time. If the EU is still there.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

So in your second referendum, the only options would be leave but on different terms. With no option for remain as this has already been decided?

Or do you still want remain on the list and maybe a couple of options to leave so as to split the leave vote?

Let's get the result of the first referendum our of the way first, then maybe have a second in 40 odd years time. If the EU is still there.

Whys that then? Surely the question would depend on the mandate. You cant just make up questions, thats not democratic. 

Typical brexiteer fantasy world.

9 minutes ago, oowee said:

Whys that then?

Well, one good reason; that question has already been asked ...... and answered.

As has been repeatedly said, if you offer I referendum and promise to honour the outcome ......... you cannot keep re-asking the question until you get the answer you want. 

Looking at a broad range of news and political comentators I get the distinct impression that, as time passes, calls for a second referendum are becoming increasingly muted. I get the strong feeling that many Remainers are no longer confident that the outcome of any such vote would go in their favour.

33 minutes ago, oowee said:

I would be very happy if we just left the eu but i cant see so many leavers happy with that lol 

How about after a general election mandate? That would give the answer. :)

If the Lib dems get elected on a "people's vote" ticket, possibly! But I can't see the main party's having another referendum on whether to leave the EU included in their manifestos!.....so how would that give either of them, if elected, a mandate?

7 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If the Lib dems get elected on a "people's vote" ticket, possibly! But I can't see the main party's having another referendum on whether to leave the EU included in their manifestos!.....so how would that give either of them, if elected, a mandate?

Simple It wouldn't. :)

7 hours ago, oowee said:

We mostly all spend what we do not have. 

What money? The gold receipts? 

Finally caught up 😥

That's a major part of problems today people spending what they don't have, and no matter which government is in power if the population is in debt they are easier to control.

And i still can't see how people will notice any difference in day to day life once were free from the EU?

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

So apart from the highlands and islands where I can understand the high cost in ex's why are the Birmingham mp's so high?

Scottish MP's have their own very costly Parliament and should stop there instead of infesting ours.

4 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Let's get the result of the first referendum out of the way first, then maybe have a second in 40 odd years time. If the EU is still there.

They are simple enough questions

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Whys that then? Surely the question would depend on the mandate. You cant just make up questions, thats not democratic. 

Typical brexiteer fantasy world.

??? Not really sure what you are asking me.

I'm asking that if we somehow have a second referendum forced apon us, would you expect 'Remain' to be an option. Or do you accept that, that question has already been answered, so only terms of Leaving should be options, ie. 'May's deal' or 'WTO'.

And if you do think remain should be an option then maybe you would also like to split the leave vote ie 'Remain', 'May's deal', 'WTO'

Not really sure where this 'Brexiteer fantasy world' statement has come from.

Like I said before, Let's get the result of the first one sorted first, then maybe have a second referendum about rejoining in 40 odd years time, if there is anything left to join

7 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

They are simple enough questions

??? Not really sure what you are asking me.

I'm asking that if we somehow have a second referendum forced apon us, would you expect 'Remain' to be an option. Or do you accept that, that question has already been answered, so only terms of Leaving should be options, ie. 'May's deal' or 'WTO'.

And if you do think remain should be an option then maybe you would also like to split the leave vote ie 'Remain', 'May's deal', 'WTO'

Not really sure where this 'Brexiteer fantasy world' statement has come from.

Like I said before, Let's get the result of the first one sorted first, then maybe have a second referendum about rejoining in 40 odd years time, if there is anything left to join

We have a vote that we are running with for now. If for whatever reason we cannot get a deal and we go for a general election. It may be (and any guess is as good as the next) that the parties offer different options. No vote, in or out, customs union. Whichever party won would provide the question. 

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

Finally caught up 😥

That's a major part of problems today people spending what they don't have, and no matter which government is in power if the population is in debt they are easier to control.

And i still can't see how people will notice any difference in day to day life once were free from the EU?

I think there will be big differences.

Day to day life. Reduction in wage rate increases as we seek to be more competitive. A fundamental change in farming and food prices (up and down) as we do the trade deal with US and prices increase for EU produce. More UK grown fruit and veg. Inflation and currency devaluation following less efficient trade deal with EU. An increase in retirement age and an increase in taxation, reduction in spending. Less immigration. 

Day to day life the complete opposite of the above.

14 minutes ago, oowee said:

Day to day life. Reduction in wage rate increases as we seek to be more competitive. A fundamental change in farming and food prices (up and down) as we do the trade deal with US and prices increase for EU produce. More UK grown fruit and veg. Inflation and currency devaluation following less efficient trade deal with EU. An increase in retirement age and an increase in taxation, reduction in spending. Less immigration. 

Did you lead the remain campaign? George Osborne will wish he'd come up with that! 

😂

29 minutes ago, oowee said:

We have a vote that we are running with for now. If for whatever reason we cannot get a deal and we go for a general election. It may be (and any guess is as good as the next) that the parties offer different options. No vote, in or out, customs union. Whichever party won would provide the question. 

Makes you wonder why we were given a referendum doesn’t it! Oh, momentarily forgot; we were supposed to vote to remain weren’t we....that’s what this is all about! 😀

I can make do with more home grown everything.

Don't personally need a Merc, Bmw or champers to make my life complete. Quite happy with Devon holidays too.

The gloating Eurozone will eventually go down at the time time as us anyway.....when the oil runs out

56 minutes ago, oowee said:

🙂

So whats your best guess? Life as normal? 

I'd say pretty much, if it's not its not, what's the worst that could happen? A recession? We've survived several of those , things always right themselves, normalise themselves after time. 

But personally, I don't thing anything particularly bad will happen, even with no deal. 

I've said this for a while now, take note of the EUs frantic attempts now to minimise the impact to themselves, frantic action in the next 6 weeks to aquiess, cop their bribe money and make friendly noises, very predictable once you realise their bluff and bluster is no longer working. 

1 hour ago, old man said:

I can make do with more home grown everything.

Don't personally need a Merc, Bmw or champers to make my life complete. Quite happy with Devon holidays too.

The gloating Eurozone will eventually go down at the time time as us anyway.....when the oil runs out

A friend with exactly the same sentiments as myself. Don't need French plonk or European goat pee lager and tasteless Spanish tomatoes.
From another oldish man who remembers when we called this place Great Britain.