Duck guns

Lloyd90

1 hour ago, bishop said:

I like shooting duck with all 25 of my 12 bores and also with my 19 ten bores but occasionally i take out one of my three   8 bores.Once in a blue moon one of my 4 bores comes out.I of course transport them in one of my 4x4 cars but  often find that my new model range rover suits my needs best .If there is a lot of snow  i find my snow mobile is useful across the fields and one of my ten bores is easily carried on my back .i have on one occasion decided to leave the snow mobile on the field as a sudden thaw meant the snow melted.I did not bother retrieving it as i found it easier to buy another one.

And the.... TEAM.... of wildfowlers you shoot with are the worlds best. ....TEAMS.... are the way to go.🤣 .

Edited by lancer425

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I bet they are regularly taking birds at 200 yards because of the huge advancements in cartridge technology. 

Exactly i like those Tamebore pterodactyls myself and for duck i think the new Dark swarm is the bestist there is!  All those on the .....TEAM..... use them.

3 hours ago, lancer425 said:

And the.... TEAM.... of wildfowlers you shoot with are the worlds best. ....TEAMS.... are the way to go.🤣 .

Lancer lad,i was having a wind up at all the  egos that like to boast about their collection of guns m8.I have no idea a all what you are dribbling about.Are you truly going to tell me you did not realise i was winding up the boasting fraternity on this site?Quite worrying.

Edited by bishop

Twas I . !  Being flipant about One perticular game shooting TEAM. on another thread on here. Clem got it. Not important.

But we can stay with thhis now its got this bad.

What your saying about bragging on here i empathise with, there is a ...PATTERN...that ...CLEAN KILLS.... any debate on these boards sometimes. I think its down to .....OVER ESTIMATION.....of ....ABILITIES ...or just.....WILLY WAVING..

I think we are kind of singing from the same hymn sheet, or should that be A .....PATTERN...sheet.:hmm:.

ERR¬ No we never got to see a...PATTERN...sheet .:lol:

By now i imagine you are even more confused Bishop my old mucca, but perhaps its not such a bad thing, and let me tell you this much. you are no way as confused as the subject of my jibes here. now that....TEAM... is very confused.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 13/11/2019 at 10:51, figgy said:

Lloyd the 32g 4 are great for ducks. If I'm going to use shot size 3 I go to a 3" cart for more shot.

I messed up when I ordered Figgy and I picked up the 32g 3's where I meant to buy the 4's :oops: 

Apparently the 4's are ok through any gun/choke but the 3's are for HP guns only 🤷‍♂️

25 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I messed up when I ordered Figgy and I picked up the 32g 3's where I meant to buy the 4's  

Apparently the 4's are ok through any gun/choke but the 3's are for HP guns only 🤷‍♂️

Yes mate that's what they claim. Not telling you to but my mate along with myself have shot thousands through non steel proofed Old shotguns in my mates case with a full fixed choke and no Ill effects to any guns. Imho cracking cartridge good for both Geese and Duck if the shooter does there bit

9 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Yes mate that's what they claim. Not telling you to but my mate along with myself have shot thousands through non steel proofed Old shotguns in my mates case with a full fixed choke and no Ill effects to any guns. Imho cracking cartridge good for both Geese and Duck if the shooter does there bit

Hmm I was wondering how much difference it would make ... might be worth a try 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

I messed up when I ordered Figgy and I picked up the 32g 3's where I meant to buy the 4's  

My Gunmark Kestrel 3" chambered  has had a fair few Eley Lightenings steel 3#'s through it and hopefully more through it this coming season.👍

35 minutes ago, figgy said:

Lloyd90 I have don't the same in the past, looked at boxes and picked up the wrong slab.

The 3 Shay are a good all-round duck and goose cart.

What gun and choke did you use them through mate? 32g 3's? 

Looking forward to using them on the ducks and geese now :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 17/07/2020 at 23:37, Lloyd90 said:

Well today I picked up a brand spanking new Browning Maxus with 3 1/2 chamber. 

So no worrying about what cartridge and HP steel requirements etc. 

Can use whatever cart I want now without worry. 👍🏻

Just need to Christen it now 

• 2 months later...

You folks that use old side by side do you worry about the water ingress at all ? I know we all clean and dry our guns when we get home but surely some must get in the action ? I can remove the stock on mine if I have to but its not the sort of thing I would want to do often. Any screws into wood can only be removed some many times before the hole is stuffed I guess

48 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

You folks that use old side by side do you worry about the water ingress at all ? I know we all clean and dry our guns when we get home but surely some must get in the action ? I can remove the stock on mine if I have to but its not the sort of thing I would want to do often. Any screws into wood can only be removed some many times before the hole is stuffed I guess

Unless submerged, which I did manage once,  don’t worry too much about it. The only place where water may get in is the cocking dog slot in the knuckle, and it has to be pretty wet for it to reach that.

2 hours ago, captainhastings said:

For a good many years I used a Midland Gun Company 3" hammer gun , full and full with 32 " barrels , that gun was old when I bought it and older still when it was sold , that gun was used all the year round , out in all the bad weather known to man and fired 100s of cartridges each year , apart from a good clean now and again , mainly when I had been out in the rain or snow , that gun never let me down once and I never spent a penny on it , one of the only guns I ever regretted selling .

I generally shoot a B525 at ducks, but it's taking a bit of a battering. Is 425 waterfowl a similar fit? Or the Winchester 5000 waterfowl.  I can't find any in northern Ireland to try but would take a punt on guntrader rfd  to RFD from the mainland UK. 

Edited by Big Al

On 03/10/2020 at 14:09, London Best said:

Unless submerged, which I did manage once,  don’t worry too much about it. The only place where water may get in is the cocking dog slot in the knuckle, and it has to be pretty wet for it to reach that.

Likewise used old 8 bore hammergun for years just had it stripped and cleaned this year and yes some internal rust but not massively serious. Also have an AYA no3 which is fine. Good wood to metal fit on many older guns also makes a difference. I have more issues with my semi autos used for steel as more water ingress points.

Wipe off excess water, allow to warm/dry and a thorough clean does the job.