Pistol Grip v Straight Hand Stock.

Robertt

Did 200 clays yesterday.

100 each with Side x Side with straight hand stock and Semi Auto with full pistol grip.

Both Guns fit me.

The Semi outshot the S x S and after a bit of self analysis realised the poor shots with S x S were down a slightly inconsistent grip which was affecting the mount.

Whereas the Semi pistol ensured the grip was always the same by nature of the shape.

In the past I've always shot very well with Pistol Grip S x S's but I never gave it much thought.

Now wondering if a pistol grip S x S is the way to go.

Any thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Robertt said:

Did 200 clays yesterday.

100 each with Side x Side with straight hand stock and Semi Auto with full pistol grip.

Both Guns fit me.

The Semi outshot the S x S and after a bit of self analysis realised the poor shots with S x S were down a slightly inconsistent grip which was affecting the mount.

Whereas the Semi pistol ensured the grip was always the same by nature of the shape.

In the past I've always shot very well with Pistol Grip S x S's but I never gave it much thought.

Now wondering if a pistol grip S x S is the way to go.

Any thoughts?

when you shoot the side by side how do you hold the forend ?

Interesting question as I regularly shoot clays with my SxS (straight grip). I never expect to match my scores with my dedicated clay gun but that's not the point.

I always assumed the difference in score was due to the way the gun handles, length of barrel (I shoot a XXV!), recoil, etc. Perhaps the grip is a factor too..🤔

I don't shoot clays with either but have a mix of straight and semi pistol and full pistol of various shapes and sizes but must say for live bird shooting never noticed any difference, if I miss or have a bad day.... as yesterday, couldn't hit a barn door... it is all down to the operator.  Of course the gun needs to fit you as best it can, so the semi probably fits you just that little bit better.

My grip is only light anyway between three fingers and a thumb, grip hard and the whole boady hardens with it.  Clench your fist and you will feel the tension go right up to your shoulder and into the shoulder blade.  Just my take on it, but try just a relaxed grip just suficient to control the gun.  Might make a difference.

It stood out using clays, which enables target repeatability, thus helping me to try and fathom out what's going on and try various fixes.

I would imagine this fault may well go undetected with the unreapeatability of live shots.

It was cured by using an uncomfortable firm grip which although it worked, was not instinctive, not substainable and likely to be forgotten when in a hot spot live shooting.

A thick leather glove which fills the grip and give less wiggle room might help.

Edited by Robertt

3 hours ago, Robertt said:

It stood out using clays, which enables target repeatability, thus helping me to try and fathom out what's going on and try various fixes.

I would imagine this fault may well go undetected with the unreapeatability of live shots.

It was cured by using an uncomfortable firm grip which although it worked, was not instinctive, not substainable and likely to be forgotten when in a hot spot live shooting.

A thick leather glove which fills the grip and give less wiggle room might help.

I thought that I could help but when I went to look to give you a link it seems it's all gone to pot. I've had mine for a while and believe they came from ASI but it's not looking too good now. If you're stuck for gloves to suit your specific needs see if you can find GripSwell GS12. ASI might be a good start in view of their SbS interests.from Spain.

I have both S x S with straight hand stocks and double triggers and O/U's and semi auto's with either PoW or pistol grip stocks. My S x S (which has been fitted) is almost 1/2 longer in the stock than any of the other guns.  I see a lot of people who seem to believe that they have to hold the wood forend on a straight handed stocked gun, this has the effect of shortening the stock. Adding the two factors together, the straight hand stock can be well short of what is actually required. Although I do not shoot clays with my old English S x S, this is simply to not 'overwork' it. I will have a few shots on a high tower prior to the game season, but that is it. A double trigger, in my opinion, is better and easier to use with a straight hand stock rather than any form of pistol grip. I find my finger drops back more naturally onto the back trigger, although in most cases I pull the back trigger first (choke barrel) and shoot the bird well in front, moving onto the front trigger (open barrel) for the second shot or closer bird. By shooting too short a  stock on a light S x S,  felt recoil is well increased. Hence people saying their S x S "kicks like a Mule"  !  I occasionally use 32 gram 5's and I am not aware of increased recoil, BUT, the gun fits.

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, so Westerley and Wymberley you do not advocate grip holding the forend of a side by side? , what about the gun recoil ???????????????????

Gun goes back and muzzles rise a little, gun stops going backwards and returns to original position for the second shot!

My left hand (I am right handed), merely acts as a rest for the front end of the gun, my left forefinger lies under the bottom centre rib and my remaining 3 finger curl alongside the right barrel, my left thumb lying alongside the left barrel. I am holding the barrels and NOT the forend. This leaves the entire top of both barrels and the rib clear of any obstructions, which, of course, would lead to head lifting. My first clay competition, in the early 1970's was shot with my only gun, an AyA No. 2. It was a 100 bird competition, I finished 9th. from a field of over 150 entries. That was with 32 gram Winchester AA's too  !    Mind you, I was only in my late twenties then and you were only allowed to load 1 cartridge for the single birds on each stand.. 

Forgot to say that, you allow the gun to recoil. It is a bit like firing  a spring air rifle, allow the gun to recoil and as TC says return to original position for second shot. I do NOT 'GRIP' any gun that I shoot, that causes tension in the upper body which is not good for allowing you to swing on the target. 

Edited by Westley

53 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, so Westerley and Wymberley you do not advocate grip holding the forend of a side by side? , what about the gun recoil ???????????????????

Hello OPP 'Westerly' is a wind.............................although you could be right  !    😁

The splinter fore end on SxS guns was never designed for holding with the left (front) hand. The fore end is to hold the gun together. The shooter holds the barrels.

31 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

IMO pistol grips on a SxS guns look like freakish hybrids. An English straight stock is a thing of beauty even if it’s original raison d'être has been lost on modern single trigger guns.

My thoughts exactly. There is nothing worse than a pistol grip with double triggers.

25 minutes ago, London Best said:

The splinter fore end on SxS guns was never designed for holding with the left (front) hand. The fore end is to hold the gun together. The shooter holds the barrels.

My thoughts exactly. There is nothing worse than a pistol grip with double triggers.

How about SxS with  flared out barrels to accommodate multichokes? look like you are shooting a Trombone.

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

^
This

I too push my left hand forward of the forend (virtually straight arm) when firing a SBS with a SHS....

Me too; in fact one of my s/s is a lightweight and has a quite 'abbreviated' splinter style forend - nothing to grip, but all my s/s my had goes on the barrels (mostly) in front of the forend.  In hot weather - or for a flush - I use either a glove or a hand guard - or you get your fingers burned.  I am also not either tall or long armed and have small hands.

I also prefer straight hand (and double triggers on my o/u guns).