Panic buying

The Heron

10 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Home delivery appears to be booked up for approximately a month so can you wait?

I believe the problem with home delivery (apart from the long delay or possible inability to get a slot at all at present) is that you place your order, but don't know how many items will not be delivered due to 'no stock'.  I heard of someone locally where less than half of the items ordered arrived.  That caused a problem.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I believe the problem with home delivery (apart from the long delay or possible inability to get a slot at all at present) is that you place your order, but don't know how many items will not be delivered due to 'no stock'.  I heard of someone locally where less than half of the items ordered arrived.  That caused a problem.

We had exactly the opposite experience.

My wife had ordered a delivery from Morrisons last weekend, and, because the site had flagged so many items as being out of stock, had ordered alternatives too.

We got the lot! 

Now she is panicking about where to store it all. 😁

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Probably but think we would be pretty much done by then and then struggle if it really clamped down. I an reluctant to shop at all but thats just a risk i have to take.

A lot depends on your area, if your on Facebook take a look what people are saying about the shops local to you.

My mrs went on Monday,  she said everyone was being civil following what they were being asked to do, only issue was some people not keeping their distance at the check outs.

14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

A lot depends on your area, if your on Facebook take a look what people are saying about the shops local to you.

My mrs went on Monday,  she said everyone was being civil following what they were being asked to do, only issue was some people not keeping their distance at the check outs.

Waitrose was very organised. Only allowing 39 people in the store at a time, giving you a trolley that had been disinfected, making you wait at the end of the till until the person in front had departed. Shelves were relatively full even managed to find quinoa and quails eggs.   

Lidl was less organised, letting in anybody, not enforcing distancing. It was my first experience of Lidl and I wasn’t impressed. Defiantly felt dirty coming out. Also noticed a lot of goods in there looked like specific brands but they were just rip offs. Lucozade that was Powerzade or something similar. 

16 minutes ago, AVB said:

was my first experience of Lidl and I wasn’t impressed. Defiantly felt dirty coming out

That has made me laugh, Aldi had a bouncer,  he was apparently making sure folk didn't go in too close together,  then it was up to people to try and keep there distance once inside.

18 minutes ago, AVB said:

Waitrose

Not that posh around here😉

Went to Waitrose yesterday. The security guards were walking round like a couple and couldn’t get any closer if they tried.

Shop had milk and vegetables but no bleach or pasta. Toilet roll section was empty but had sign saying customers should limit purchases to three. This proved to be nonsense as when I asked for just three sheets for a clean up on aisle one, they called security instead.

Took my wife to Tesco's this morning and it had a very relaxed feel about it , my wife waited in the q of about a dozen people , all of them were a good six feet apart and the security guys were letting one go in when another shopper came out , I didn't go in as I took my dog up the river for my doze of exercise but when I picked her up she was saying they were well stocked and no signs of people over filling there trolleys .

What I did notice was the fuel was the cheapest it have been for years , Petrol and Diesel was just over a £1 a litre .

Its weird - we are seeing similar things here. Maybe the scabs who emptied the shelves have no more storage space, ran out of money or have died.

If it carries on like this, the biggest issue will be maintenance of the supply chain. Otherwise, common sense seems to be holding up, in the main.

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I think the supply chain at the moment is the problem, particularly for some local village stores. Ours is just starting to get back to normal.Just choose an alternative.

Same in our nearest shop in the village a few miles away. They seem to be holding up well really, with paracetamol being the only thing they are consistently struggling to stock. 
Our local Morrison’s is restricting access which causes queuing, and it was the same outside an Asda store in Wolverhampton yesterday, but it was well stocked from what I heard. There is no shortage of food, just struggling with demand.

39 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Had these delivered from Amazon yesterday. Should keep me going for a few months and some for the Grandchildren when I can see them again. 

20200326_121339.jpg

seeing those wine gums made me think of my old fella that passed away a couple of years ago , wine gums were always his favourite , in his later years he was a diabetic , my mom and the family knew better than to give him sweets , but he was a master at swindling any visiting grandchildren out of their sugary stash , we used to search my kids before they went over the road to see nan and grandad , to make sure that they werent smuggling sweets to grandad :yes:.

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just shopped in Tesco, could not get there for oldies time 9 till 10, wish i had was a 1 hour waiting queue 150 yards long but in 4 row lines

I did a Tesco shop today and went early at 7am. Probably about 30 shoppers in total. Proper 2m spacing enforced although I thought the till operator should have worn gloves. She said the touch screen wouldn’t work with gloves on!

5 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

I did a Tesco shop today and went early at 7am. Probably about 30 shoppers in total. Proper 2m spacing enforced although I thought the till operator should have worn gloves. She said the touch screen wouldn’t work with gloves on!

hello, good job it was nice and sunny:good:young lad had gloves on in this Tesco ? to be honest the staff are doing pretty well but lacking in masks and gloves, more people doing delivery shopping and could not see one manager

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

39 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, good job it was nice and sunny:good:young lad had gloves on in this Tesco ? to be honest the staff are doing pretty well but lacking in masks and gloves, more people doing delivery shopping and could not see one manager

hello, i noticed the prices are moving up in Tesco another 5p on this 10p on that,

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i agree, we have a new Lidl being built opposite tesco, will be my shopping place when open 

Our new Lidl opened about a month ago, dead opposite Tesco's, I'm using Lidl now, after years of Tesco shopping.

No queue either.