Economic impact.

AVB

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/03/2020 at 07:45, Walker570 said:

In 1950 my mother was delivering milk around villages and a rabbit in the skin was 2/6p and she had a dozen or more in the van every Friday ready for Sunday lunch. Often a woman would ask for just a 1/4 pint of milk because they couldn't afford more.  By 1960 a few people where able to afford a car and things where starting to look up and by 1970 the Prime Minister at the time told the country it had never had it so good.   Four years of war which killed tens of thousands was just a little bit more extreme than having to shut down and basically hold your breath for three weeks and the people then had the back bone to see it through. What worries me is, do the present molly coddled population who have had everyhting NOW are capable of such a feat.

Yes, I remember the 50's and food rationing, total austerity, mended and hand-me-down clothes, mock bacon (fried lettuce) and many other hardships.

And, yes, youre right, the present molly coddlled population would just lie down and weep.

8 minutes ago, das said:

Yes, I remember the 50's and food rationing, total austerity, mended and hand-me-down clothes, mock bacon (fried lettuce) and many other hardships.

And, yes, youre right, the present molly coddlled population would just lie down and weep.

I seriously don't think they would; they'd just get on with it like people do in times such as this, or that which you've described. People go on about the snowflake age etc as if they couldn't skin or eat rabbit, but if they had to then they would, they simply don't need to. I have skinned and gutted countless rabbits and all manner of game, but I'd still rather get the bulk of my meat from the butchers. Skinning and eating a rabbit isn't some sort of rite of passage; it's almost as if some folk still want their kids to have to live like that,  I don't.

If the poop hits the fan the youths of today will ( and do, just like they are now ) step up to the mark just as past generations have done. 

8 hours ago, blackbird said:

One thing is certain China is now the world superpower as the US is on its knees, this could get very messy especially with a mad man in the White House.

China have also screwed themselves, with the west and most other countires that buy their goods in lockdown they dont have anyone to sell their goods to.

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

I seriously don't think they would; they'd just get on with it like people do in times such as this, or that which you've described. People go on about the snowflake age etc as if they couldn't skin or eat rabbit, but if they had to then they would, they simply don't need to. I have skinned and gutted countless rabbits and all manner of game, but I'd still rather get the bulk of my meat from the butchers. Skinning and eating a rabbit isn't some sort of rite of passage; it's almost as if some folk still want their kids to have to live like that,  I don't.

If the poop hits the fan the youths of today will ( and do, just like they are now ) step up to the mark just as past generations have done. 

Spot on Sir! Tempted to add more but now is neither the time nor the place, but you do have to wonder sometimes...

1 hour ago, Scully said:

and spit on old ladies and police officers doing their duty. Sorry Scully but we have too much useless garbage walking our streets these days.

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

and spit on old ladies and police officers doing their duty. Sorry Scully but we have too much useless garbage walking our streets these days.

You’re right, we do, but there was also a lot of ‘useless garbage’ about prior to both world wars, and all the years in between.
This generation doesn’t have the monopoly on useless cretins, and it’s also worth bearing in mind that this generations useless garbage are often the creation of a previous  useless garbage generation, which if I’m not mistaken, is yours and my generation. Just a thought. 

BUT all that pre war useless garbage was sent to do two years service fore Queen and Country and many learned a trade doing so and came back much better for it.  I knew a couple in my village I went to school with who came back after National Service different chaps.  I missed it by a couple of months and was not a happy bear after they told me of their experiences around the world courtesy of the British Army.  I know there are a percentage who will never change and dealt with many during my 28yrs but there is no respect today, even for the uniform.

Edited by Walker570

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

BUT all that pre war useless garbage was sent to do two years service fore Queen and Country and many learned a trade doing so and came back much better for it.  I knew a couple in my village I went to school with who came back after National Service different chaps.  I missed it by a couple of months and was not a happy bear after they told me of their experiences around the world courtesy of the British Army.  I know there are a percentage who will never change and dealt with many during my 28yrs but there is no respect today, even for the uniform.

And the same would happen again no doubt, if needs be. 
Respect is earned in my experience, not given nor demanded. 
Nor is a stint in the armed forces a guarantee of ironing out the numpties. The youths of today are just as likely to become people to be proud of as were previous generations, given the cause. 

And please bear in mind that its the younger generation of healthcare workers going in to the hospitals every day, putting themselves and their own families at risk. While the old self isolate. Some on here seem to think theirs is the greatest generation, and that no one else is capable of stepping up because they didn't do national service or live through rationing  or have to wear their older siblings cast offs. I suspect you are about to be proved wrong - as you were by the previous generation who stepped up in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edited by MirokuMK70

2 hours ago, MirokuMK70 said:

And please bear in mind that its the younger generation of healthcare workers going in to the hospitals every day, putting themselves and their own families at risk. While the old self isolate. Some on here seem to think theirs is the greatest generation, and that no one else is capable of stepping up because they didn't do national service or live through rationing  or have to wear their older siblings cast offs. I suspect you are about to be proved wrong - as you were by the previous generation who stepped up in Iraq and Afghanistan.

great post 

11 hours ago, MirokuMK70 said:

👍

15 hours ago, MirokuMK70 said:

👍

15 hours ago, MirokuMK70 said:

Well said that man 👍

Yes the fall out for our country will be massive and will be very painful. 

HOWEVER !!! I believe we are so lucky in that we are no longer part of the E U. Because not only would be having our own massive problems we would also be having to contribute funds to stabilise other economies.  I dont think we dodged a bullet, we have dodged a 15" shell by getting out in the nick of time.

21 hours ago, TRINITY said:

HOWEVER !!! I believe we are so lucky in that we are no longer part of the E U. Because not only would be having our own massive problems we would also be having to contribute funds to stabilise other economies.  I dont think we dodged a bullet, we have dodged a 15" shell by getting out in the nick of time.

Yes I hadn't thought of the implications for the EU, it will be massive. End of free movement, probable collapse of the banks etc  

21 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Thankfully we stepped out just in time, shame it wasn't at the original leave date, we can thank politicians for ballsing that up.

Your 15" shell call is a good one.

Wonder what Gina Miller is up to now?

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE