Coronavirus: 38 days when Britain sleepwalked into disaster

Retsdon

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly makes the initial management look poor. An enquiry must be on the cards. A comentator I heard last week said the UK is very good at preparing to deal with the disasters it has just had. 

I have been reading a fair bit questioning the strategy of lock down. It seems there is a a strong argument that as a strategy it cannot work. Flatening the curve will extend the suffering and econmic impact. A suggested alternative approach is to carry on as normal but to lock down the vulnerable. 

2 minutes ago, islandgun said:

One thing though, just who in the world was prepared ?

The Germans. 

looks like the gov. has been following science based advice since the beginning then 

the curve is flattening and the nhs has plenty of spare capacity in regards to icu beds and ventilators which was/is the main aim 

what more do they want boris to do? pull a vaccine out of his ****?

17 minutes ago, eggy74 said:

looks like the gov. has been following science based advice since the beginning then 

the curve is flattening and the nhs has plenty of spare capacity in regards to icu beds and ventilators which was/is the main aim 

Preparing in advance might have been helpful. 

Was 16000 + deaths part of the science or consequance of inaction? 

Vaccine will hopefully arrive at some point but then so will the next virus. 

31 minutes ago, oowee said:

suggested alternative approach is to carry on as normal but to lock down the vulnerable. 

Look at the other threads on the go, the elderly are vulnerable,  its supposed to be especially bad if the over 70s get CV19,  but some on here are complaining about being on lockdown despite being vulnerable. 

Damned if they do damned if they don't 

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

16,000 deaths is a consequence of old age and pre-existing medical conditions for many. 

I have a simple philosophy. I don’t believe anything I read in the press unless it’s something I want to believe in! 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

no they were part of a rampant virus spreading ALL AROUND THE WORLD 

there will be a lot more deaths yet, as you say there is no vaccine

every country in the world is suffering from this epidemic, to lay the blame at the governments door is rubbish

are we and the rest of the world to shut down every time there is a new virus outbreak? 

sars? 2003

h1n1? 2009

mers? 2012

thats not including the bird flu's and swine flu's and any others they havent told us of

there would be no economy left

54 minutes ago, oowee said:

Certainly makes the initial management look poor. An enquiry must be on the cards. A comentator I heard last week said the UK is very good at preparing to deal with the disasters it has just had. 

I have been reading a fair bit questioning the strategy of lock down. It seems there is a a strong argument that as a strategy it cannot work. Flatening the curve will extend the suffering and econmic impact. A suggested alternative approach is to carry on as normal but to lock down the vulnerable. 

The Germans. 

hello, i like that JUST HAD!!!!!!! is that not typical of this country, mind you if Labour were in power we would need a miracle

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!:rolleyes:

After the first virus, the second virus or the third? 

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Look at the other threads on the go, the elderly are vulnerable,  its supposed to be especially bad if the over 70s get CV19,  but some on here are complaining about being on lockdown despite being vulnerable. 

So why were these vulnerable groups not locked down in advance? 

13 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Everyone is an expert, the scientific and medical community are currently debating schools reopening.

Some say YES and some say NO, as Retsdon and oowee are such experts perhaps they can advise the government on which is the correct advice to take.

You must be an exspurt to have come to that conclusion :lol:

As always analysis after the event that assumes those with responsibility had full hindsight. Even then I question if it was always going to be a case of too late due to Chinese being less than transparent in the early stages.

On 30 December my wife and I were staying over in a hotel the only other guests being Far Eastern nationals. On 1 January my wife was very ill with raging temperature and severe cough lasting several days. On 4 January I too started with similar symptoms plus difficulty breathing. On 7 January I was rushed into hospital with breathing difficulties, raging temperature, cough and low blood oxygen levels. I was put on oxygen and IV antibiotics, subsequently found to have liver function problems. A week in hospital and two months to fully recover. 
of course there was no testing for Corvid 19, I just had pneumonia. One day I may find if I had it but until then you will not convince me UK did not already have the problem by early January. Interestingly I was also told in hospital that they were struggling to understand why people who had the flu jag were still being hospitalised.

In short no amount of blame after the event makes a jot of difference as far as I am concerned. The whole world was caught napping we are doing the best we can in the circumstances and thank God it is not Corby  and Abbot giving the daily briefing.

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

In short no amount of blame after the event makes a jot of difference as far as I am concerned. The whole world was caught napping we are doing the best we can in the circumstances and thank God it is not Corby  and Abbot giving the daily briefing.

But your using common sense,  some on here simply like to blame the government. 

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

So why were these vulnerable groups not locked down in advance? 

The government said don't go out please stay home, then more people than ever went out for a meal and walk on mothers day. Lots of people got letters saying stay home for 3 months because your vulnerable. You would think being told this affects the old and people with existing health issues would be enough to have those groups staying home happily until told otherwise. 

Agree with the sentiments on here.

The government is damned if it does / damned if it doesn’t.

I also don’t get the whole rationale that ‘the government is responsible for absolutely everything - every single death from the statistical anomaly of the twenty something year old to the ninety something year old who was already in a hospice, for the lack of toilet paper and flour in supermarkets through to the management of every single care home in the UK.

With the passage of time, it’s increasingly appears to me that there is going to be no stopping or curing this virus (it’s of the common cold genus) and it is in the main ironing out those in their 80’s (and beyond) who were already in the process heading off this mortal coil. 

If I am right, then the post mortem of the damage done to the global economy is going to be interesting. As a fat smoker I just hope I’m around to see it 😝

Edited by Mungler

58 minutes ago, eggy74 said:

:good:

32 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Exactly the government are in a no win situation.

No buts.

Some sources infer that needing to finish, by a deadline, a book (or else lose an very substantial advance of money) kept some people away from where perhaps they ought to have been. 

Regardless of ifs, or buts, there must be no return to "business as usual" with China when this all is done and finished.

Edited by enfieldspares

13 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

On 1 January my wife was very ill with raging temperature and severe cough lasting several days. On 4 January I too started with similar symptoms plus difficulty breathing.

Interesting - I was unwell (to the extent that I did a very unusual thing for me and consulted a Dr) about the same period (around new year).  After various blood tests ......... which were all negative (don't think Corvid was even suspected, let alone tested for as my cough wasn't the main problem) - Dr concluded that it was 'probably a virus'.  Fortunately after a few days quite ill and couple of weeks feeling off colour, I was better.  I did have a cough but not badly, and a fairly low temperature for a day or two, but had loss of feeling/tingling, poor balance, headaches, kidney pain etc.

I do wonder if this virus was around in the UK long before it was acknowledged.  Doubt mine was it - it could have been any one of many viruses ......... but I do wonder.