Some People are just daft

Bigbob

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Even if you stay indoors, what do you do with the letters and junk mail which drops through your door.

I did try to do some 'Google' research on this; it seems that the risk is very low (but not zero) and there are to date no known cases of this virus being caught from post/parcel surfaces.  If required paper letters can be sterilised by ironing (one sheet at a time), and plastic can be washed with soap.

Coins can be sterilized by heat in oven or boiling, but banknotes of the modern plastic kind are not (apparently) iron safe!

On the rare (about once in every 2 weeks) occasions I go to the supermarket - I find Apple Pay to very convenient.  My fortnightly shop (including some for neighbours) can come to more than contactless cards seem to allow.

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Made a purchase lately for cash? Then how many people have handled that change in the last 24hrs.  It doesn't matter where you go and what you touch these days then washing and disinfecting  are the order of the day.   Even if you stay indoors, what do you do with the letters and junk mail which drops through your door.   I think I have as much chance of catching this virus as I have of being run over in my own yard, because I take sensible common sense precautions.

Pretty much all of that, apart from cash, and some more, we wash all groceries and my wife gets decontaminated as soon as she enters the house from work. It may sound stupid but the council suggested it as she works with SEN children, super spreaders. I open all the doors she needs to pass through, she steps into a large stable type bucket, disrobes and takes a shower while I put her clothes in to wash at 60'C, I hand wash her rucksack, hair clips etc then we can have a hug and a cuppa, that's the best we can do under the circumstances.

13 minutes ago, henry d said:

Pretty much all of that, apart from cash, and some more, we wash all groceries and my wife gets decontaminated as soon as she enters the house from work. It may sound stupid but the council suggested it as she works with SEN children, super spreaders. I open all the doors she needs to pass through, she steps into a large stable type bucket, disrobes and takes a shower while I put her clothes in to wash at 60'C, I hand wash her rucksack, hair clips etc then we can have a hug and a cuppa, that's the best we can do under the circumstances.

Rock and roll life style you lead there 😜

Seriously though, each to their own, I just find it hilarious the amount of people who are trying to impose their slant of what is and isn't acceptable during the lock down, much of it not backed up by law at all.

26 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Green laners on motor bikes still doing it round here BUT how different are they from the two mountain bikers I came across..lost in the middle of the farm this week.

With regard to foot and mouth, car rallying was stopped back in the 70s becaue of an outbreak and can easily be transferred by even the wheels on a vehicle and shoes/boots.

The last foot and mouth closed a lot of farms. The government didn't need to do it the farmers did.  Access to most was only via a disinfectant regime.

I believe the problem is to a certain extent, politicians.  They all fighting amongst themselves and panic stricken if they make a decision it will be the wrong one and they will be out of a job.

Easy for Starmer to blab on and on but he has not really outlined how he would have dealt with it from day one.

We were told at the start what the government needed us to do to as they said follow the science, and beat this thing.

No point in me repeating the guidance we all know exactly what that guidance is.

We are told exactly what we can do. And we should do EXACTLY THAT.

Once we start deciding what we think is safe or not, we then are in a position where WE are deciding the countries future and the lives of other people.

We know what the government expects from us we need to ensure that in everything we do we comply.

Locked down we need to decide if we can have an evening meal without gravy tonight because we forgot it on the weekly shop Tuesday, or IS gravy ESSENTIAL.

Not for me to make that decision for others, But that and every other thing we do in this difficult time, can impact on others not just ourselves or our loved ones. It as simple as this a simple decision like this could kill you, or some one else.

ESSENTIAL. Only in everything we do. Its real simplec stuff this. Fudging lines to fit what you me or anyone else thinks is safe or not is not the point. 

STAY HOME ETC ETC .

5 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Rock and roll life style you lead there 😜

Yeah pretty much, however the head teachers are good and due to the  few very vulnerable children that are in school, staff are working week in, week working at home.

Seriously though, each to their own, I just find it hilarious the amount of people who are trying to impose their slant of what is and isn't acceptable during the lock down, much of it not backed up by law at all.

Yeah I can understand that approach, and we have been so used to having lifestyles that include lots of activities outwith the home we tend to become protective of it. I would really love to get out fishing and not a soul would be near me, however I have to think about the possibility I could be asymptomatic and spreading it to someone who either succumbs or passes it on to someone who dies. And the reverse is true also, so the most sensible option is to stay at home.

9 minutes ago, henry d said:

Yeah I can understand that approach, and we have been so used to having lifestyles that include lots of activities outwith the home we tend to become protective of it. I would really love to get out fishing and not a soul would be near me, however I have to think about the possibility I could be asymptomatic and spreading it to someone who either succumbs or passes it on to someone who dies. And the reverse is true also, so the most sensible option is to stay at home.

Sums it up perfectly and way tidier than my essential gravy story above. :lol:

40 minutes ago, henry d said:

Brilliant, and that is exactly what we do but in a slightly less dramatic form.  If I leave the place to shop then on return I imediately wash my hands in some antivral veterinary hand wash which vets/surgeons use before and after surgery, the best I can get. I make a point of avoiding touching anyhting else anyone else is likely to have touched etc etc. Just common sense precautions.

56 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The great bonus of being in opposition is that you can say pretty much what you like (especially if it contains little 'substance') ....... because no one will ever know (or care actually) whether you were right or not.

What government says and does goes down in history. 

What the opposition says is largely forgotten and they don't 'do' anything to be remembered ......... so they are really in very safe territory!

:good:Singing from the same hymn sheet in the main.

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Always have a Fact check first .

IIRC you said you are in the at risk group due to underlying conditions and you want to go out fishing/shooting? With so many people wandering around the countryside for their exercise do you really want to be putting yourself at risk? You have no idea how many people will have passed the same way touched the same fencepost, gate...

Good idea that fact checking - I'm talking about private fields that are closed to the public - and I'd be wearing my camo gloves. :oops:

Can't think of any fenceposts i'd touch on a beach

Edited by Dave-G

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

First part, It kind of is, we're being told don't travel unless its essential, was it you said some farmers have got the virus or someone else?

I'll agree with the second part mostly,  there are loads of people out walking near my house, way more than normal,  but I think that's because folk aren't travelling so going for a local walk.

Can't see how anyone should be green laning, that's a definite no no, I would even say horse riding doesn't need to be happening,  but its quiet and people are off work so unless there is a real clampdown then people will still head out.

Personally I've not been out unless its work or shopping,  an hours walk each day avoiding other folk, it's not hard is it, stay home.

First part, it kind of isn't. We were never told re' F&M not to travel unless it was essential, as far as I can recall anyhow. We went all over the place with the kids, I remember it well. F&M didn't effect the pubs' clubs, bars and restaurants, the shops functioned as normal and people went to work and on holiday. So no, not like it at all really.

No, I know plenty of farmers but all are fit and well last I heard. You're right, green laning doesn't need to be happening, nor horse riding probably, but you answered the rest of this point yourself.

You stay at home if you want, but personally I've been out every day, whether I'm travelling to and from work, or if it's the weekend. I'm still using the local shops and taking all the necessary precautions, but it's only since last week I was able to find some hand sanitiser as it's not always possible to wash my hands, depending on where I'm working, so that now stays in my vehicle. None of our groceries or mail is cleaned, and none of my work materials are cleaned prior to using, it's just not practical; we simply believe in others and their capabilities to take the same precautions we are. Like you say, it's not hard is it. 

The local pub is doing a roaring trade on a Friday evening serving the villagers takeaway food ( it's a luxury not a necessity ) from their catering van, and my home town local chippy is opening up again tonight....people will travel to that but I couldn't recommend it as they're poop. 

Just now, Dave-G said:

Good idea that fact checking - I'm talking about private fields that are closed to the public - and I'd be wearing my camo gloves. :oops:

I was right about some nay sayers getting desperate. :lol:

Well did you check it? Apparently not, the link was to do with F&M transmission.

No fields are private here unless it is your garden. Do you think your gloves will stop you spreading the virus onto everything you touch? Not desperate, just wanting everyone including you to be as safe as possible, but if you are confident that you won't get the virus and that your underlying conditions will not help it kill you or you are 100% sure you won't put anyone else at risk then, carry on.

28 minutes ago, henry d said:

Well did you check it? Apparently not, the link was to do with F&M transmission.

No fields are private here unless it is your garden. Do you think your gloves will stop you spreading the virus onto everything you touch? Not desperate, just wanting everyone including you to be as safe as possible, but if you are confident that you won't get the virus and that your underlying conditions will not help it kill you or you are 100% sure you won't put anyone else at risk then, carry on.

Thanks for your concern Henry, I hadn't noticed it was a link, still not read it but I stayed well clear of the countryside because of how walking in it could spread it.

I've been a recluse for between four and five weeks apart from walking the dog - and two weeks before that I only did 3 AM shopping at Tesco's just up the road with washing up gloves and mask on.

There won't be many more distant from other people than me, honestly. I'd be even more alone if I go out walkies with a rifle to have a break from her indoors. :)

Edited by Dave-G

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

First part, it kind of isn't. We were never told re' F&M not to travel unless it was essential, as far as I can recall anyhow. We went all over the place with the kids, I remember it well. F&M didn't effect the pubs' clubs, bars and restaurants, the shops functioned as normal and people went to work and on holiday. So no, not like it at all really.

No, I know plenty of farmers but all are fit and well last I heard. You're right, green laning doesn't need to be happening, nor horse riding probably, but you answered the rest of this point yourself.

You stay at home if you want, but personally I've been out every day, whether I'm travelling to and from work, or if it's the weekend. I'm still using the local shops and taking all the necessary precautions, but it's only since last week I was able to find some hand sanitiser as it's not always possible to wash my hands, depending on where I'm working, so that now stays in my vehicle. None of our groceries or mail is cleaned, and none of my work materials are cleaned prior to using, it's just not practical; we simply believe in others and their capabilities to take the same precautions we are. Like you say, it's not hard is it. 

The local pub is doing a roaring trade on a Friday evening serving the villagers takeaway food ( it's a luxury not a necessity ) from their catering van, and my home town local chippy is opening up again tonight....people will travel to that but I couldn't recommend it as they're poop. 

The reason I've said about F&M Scully is because people keep saying they need to be out shooting, the pigeons will ruin crops, they'll be in a field so it's fine, I'm sure most of the farmers at the time said stay off our land so as to not spread it. I'm sure some will still be shooting,  but hopefully its local necessary and they are keeping quiet about it.

I'm not staying at home, I'm working still, but what I'm not doing is any unnecessary travel which many on here just dont seem to grasp, people shooting,  fishing, rock climbing will most likely be alone and might not see anyone,  but most still have to travel to get to these places, which means there is a risk however small.

I've seen several chippies open, but you've had to order online so cashless and delivered.

Can't blame the pub for trying to make money, and I'm sure it's a welcome change. 

7 hours ago, henry d said:

Always have a Fact check first .

Indeed.  I'm just curious... the link you've provided is to the NHS web page for "Hand, foot & mouth" disease in humans.  Not far down the page it clearly states

Hand, foot and mouth disease has nothing to do with foot and mouth disease that affects farm animals.

Were you trying to use this link in reference to the outbreak of Foot & Mouth disease on UK farms in 2001 & 2007?

If so, they are two completely unrelated things so you might consider taking your own wise advice!

Foot & Mouth.jpg

15 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I just find it hilarious the amount of people who are trying to impose their slant of what is and isn't acceptable during the lock down, much of it not backed up by law at all.

Agree to this, my wife tells me of a deranged middle aged lady attacking shoppers whilst she was in M&S Foodhall on Monday. Their one-way system results in a dead end so people were double backing past the lady. My wife pointed out that waking past her was unlikely to result in viral contact but the fact that she had engaged her and others in conversation would much more likely do so. Also, when she got to the dead end she would have the same problem 🙈

In another incident some rude young police officers heckled and harassed my elderly mother as she walked her little dog on the marsh near her house. Funny, being a 6ft man not a soul has has dared to harangue me... cowards love enforcing their rules upon the weak. 

The spread of individual opinions on this thread is no better example of why we have laws and regulations that tend to be proscriptive.  Quite simply we have to.

If we have to rely on individuals making their own assessment then they will make that assessment based on their own wants, needs and interests.

It is easy to find examples of where lockdown measures appear to be absurd by looking at the fringes, i.e. someone alone on a beach fishing or in a pigeon hide, but those are the exceptions and also massively in the minority.

The guidelines and rules are set to try and cover the vast majority.  It is estimated that 83% of the British populace live in urban settings, so they don't have a local isolated beach or field with a sitty tree.  If choice was left to the individual they all might choose to travel to your isolated beach or field.

Should those with the privilege of having local access to the isolated beach, field, etc be allowed to exploit that privilege whilst the vast majority (83%) are denied?

I wonder if this conversation was about the privilege of wealth would some of the contributors still argue the same way.