Average age of Covid deaths

AVB

According to the Office for National Statistics the average age of a person dying of covid is 82.4 years. Whilst not trivialising the impact of covid it does reinforce my view that restrictions should be targeted at those more at risk rather than the wider population. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The country and politicians have become a bunch of scaredy cats. Over 200 people will die today from the effects of smoking.  I'm now over 80yrs of age and more than happy to take my chances which I have done since being bombed in the early forties, manages to avoid polio, TB, hooping cough, dyptheria and four other nasty flu outbreaks which killed thousands. The problem now is, the government are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. There is little doubt the whole fiasco is dragging the country down to rock bottom.  The people should be left to use their own common sense which seems very lacking in those in charge and those advising.  I'm sure someone on here will come up with a graph or two to prove me wrong ..... or try to.

Edited by Walker570

It would be interesting to see if any of the many students getting the virus are being hospitalised,  or simply a bit off colour for a few weeks.

Certainly the over 70s need to take care still but everyone else that's healthy?

I'm still just keeping my distance from lads at work,  not a bad thing 😁😁

Putting it bluntly, most people don't make any effort to keep fit and healthy. Witness our local, largely working class, town which one of my sons described (correctly)as being full of fat people with bad tattoos! Consequently, the majority of of the over 50s are suffering from or are at high and increasing risk from a range of conditions requiring intervention and/or support from medications.

Those such as my wife and I, both in our 70s, who adhere pretty closely to the 5 basic rules of well being have no underlying health issues and are not on any prescription meds, therefore despite being in the "at risk" age group we have no fear of Covid.

We would consider it grossly unfair if we were ordered to stay indoors simply because of our ages. The doctors know who's at risk and who isn't. Simples.

27 minutes ago, clangerman said:

eat out to die out , opening pubs ,unis now a hot bed of infection

:no: All of which is better than living locked up in fear.

This virus is here to stay, it's not going anywhere, and a effective, safe vaccine is a long way away and only good until the strain changes.

At some point we have to just get on with life, take extra precautions, but get on with living.

1 hour ago, AVB said:

According to the Office for National Statistics the average age of a person dying of covid is 82.4 years. Whilst not trivialising the impact of covid it does reinforce my view that restrictions should be targeted at those more at risk rather than the wider population. 

I agree. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

The country and politicians have become a bunch of scaredy cats. Over 200 people will die today from the effects of smoking.  I'm now over 80yrs of age and more than happy to take my chances which I have done since being bombed in the early forties, manages to avoid polio, TB, hooping cough, dyptheria and four other nasty flu outbreaks which killed thousands. The problem now is, the government are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. There is little doubt the whole fiasco is dragging the country down to rock bottom.  The people should be left to use their own common sense which seems very lacking in those in charge and those advising.  I'm sure someone on here will come up with a graph or two to prove me wrong ..... or try to.

You missed out putting your life on the line 5 of 7 for some 30 years,  mostly spent dealing with idiots  !  

13 minutes ago, Westward said:

We would consider it grossly unfair if we were ordered to stay indoors simply because of our ages. The doctors know who's at risk and who isn't. Simples.

That's part of the thing, it will be a blanket restriction if it happened,  and many will feel they are being punished or abandoned, and will probably ignore it. 

2 hours ago, AVB said:

+1 

Edited by blackbird

16 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

What happened to 'All for one and one for all'

It worked in the distant past when we were 'all in it together'. 🙂

Because that's not the feeling, the young lads at work just don't think their going to be effected,  I'm sure folk did back in March, but now? So many different rules across so many areas.

Its certainly mostly the older folk who are seriously affected but everyone is being restricted in what they can do.

45 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Because that's not the feeling, the young lads at work just don't think their going to be effected,  I'm sure folk did back in March, but now? So many different rules across so many areas.

Its certainly mostly the older folk who are seriously affected but everyone is being restricted in what they can do.

I agree that that is a widespread feeling among the younger population, but all these younger people surely have older friends, colleagues  and family.

23 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

I agree that that is a widespread feeling among the younger population, but all these younger people surely have older friends, colleagues  and family.

Many younger lads have said that those at risk should stay home, it's not going to affect us, you can see their logic but it's very much a we'll be alright attitude. 

But we must be getting to the point where that's going to happen,  the over 70s will get told to stay home and isolate while everyone else gets back to work?

I can't imagine it working because why will they want to be house bound, but what's the alternative??

If the so called young (or anyone else not sticking to the rules) continue to avoid social distancing etc that means  all vulnerable people and over 70s will have to self isolate for ever.

Sorry, but forever is not a long time for most of the vulnerable.

An effective vaccine should not take forever to be found and the young should cooperate fully until then.

Having said that, I agree what you are saying will unfortunately happen but I obviously disagree with it..

I just can’t see the problem the elderly & vulnerable go into self isolation if they want & the rest of us crack on with our lives, what if it takes 20yrs to find a vaccine? The elderly have had their lives now don’t be so selfish & let the rest of us have ours. 

tin hat on .

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

I just can’t see the problem the elderly & vulnerable go into self isolation if they want & the rest of us crack on with our lives, what if it takes 20yrs to find a vaccine? The elderly have had their lives now don’t be so selfish & let the rest of us have ours. 

tin hat on .

With your responses on a number of subjects, you will need more than a tin hat..

tin hat on .

I'm coming round to that opinion too, especially with the university students who are bound to feel sort of let off their parents leash. They can let rip and get infected but not go home to their older relatives at Christmas.

EDIT: Its muddy waters for office and factory workers though. must be a nightmare to try and find the best path because there are so many conflicting aspects it will always be wrong for many.

Edited by Dave-G

tin hat on .

The elderly have had their lives now and they shouldn’t be so selfish? Really? So their lives are worth less than someone who is younger?

1 minute ago, Duckandswing said:

The elderly have had their lives now and they shouldn’t be so selfish? Really? So their lives are worth less than someone who is younger?

It’s the reality and there are many examples where young people take priority. Doctors will fight tooth and nail to save the life of a youngster but DNR notices are common amongst the elderly.