Brexit talks have collapsed

Remimax

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Remimax said:

Yep the French fishing demands  really are taking the **** think we can expect the usual port blockades from them if it does end up a no deal .

Will the other nations he impressed if the French mess up a deal for everyone though? 

No deal is bad for the EU integrity. As individual nations take a bit hit will each nation start to think, “France may not want a deal, but we bloody well do!”

From what I've read, the bookends of deal vs. no deal at this stage equate to ~£3k vs. £4k per UK household on average for the next 15 years but just like COVID, the financial and economic effect won't be carried by those who are already set for the rest of their lives.

Personally, at this stage, I don't care either way. The short term effect to our household is that we've just renewed / in the process of renewing all our vehicles to mitigate the risk of 10% duties on new cars from 1st Jan 2021.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

From what I've read, the bookends of deal vs. no deal at this stage equate to ~£3k vs. £4k per UK household on average for the next 15 years but just like COVID, the financial and economic effect won't be carried by those who are already set for the rest of their lives.

Personally, at this stage, I don't care either way. The short term effect to our household is that we've just renewed / in the process of renewing all our vehicles to mitigate the risk of 10% duties on new cars from 1st Jan 2021.

We have always had to pay 10.8 % duty on imported  new cars. The money goes direct to Brussels. Stealth tax

Cars should be cheaper after we leave, or at least a lot more deals being offered

Edited by Vince Green

25 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

We have always had to pay 10.8 % duty on imported  new cars. The money goes direct to Brussels. Stealth tax

Cars should be cheaper after we leave, or at least a lot more deals being offered

I think you need to qualify that. Are you saying cars built in the EU and delivered to end user private customers in the U.K. were previously subject to a 10.8% import duty into the U.K. that went to Brussels?

2 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I think you need to qualify that. Are you saying cars built in the EU and delivered to end user private customers in the U.K. were previously subject to a 10.8% import duty into the U.K. that went to Brussels?

I don't mind swapping a german car for a cheaper Japanese one, happy days. 

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

No im not saying that, cars imported from outside the EU are subject to 10.8% import duty by the EU which the UK doesn't get.

HOWEVER, the invoice price for a car imported to UK from France and Germany is higher than it should be because of something called price balancing. Which means roughly they overcharge us because we are a captive market and they can get away with it.

Even allowing for VAT etc and local taxes there are a lot of places in the world where you can buy a Merc or BMW cheaper than you can here.

Once we stop being a captive market my guess is they will have to offer us the same discounts and inducements as they offer USA, Canada, Middle East, South Africa etc or we will just buy from Japan.

Edited by Vince Green

I wasn't old enough to vote in the 1975 Referendum...I was born in 1957...but would have voted "No". But in the 2016 Referendum although I voted "Leave" (as I my personal situation would have been impacted by Cameron's deal that he negotiated to end the right I had to bring my spouse's son from outside the EU into the EU to join us). 2016 is not 1976. Forty years have passed. Change has happened.

Things have changed. Ted Heath sold out the trading relationship we had with the Commonwealth, true "metal bashing" industry has collapsed in the UK thanks to a combination of Derek "Red Robbo" Robinson and later Thatcher's tax regimes and North Sea oil and gas isn't the pot of gold it once was and what it is is becoming uneconomic to exploit and depleted.

World trade has changed...as said...we no longer have a captive English speaking market in West Africa nor East Africa (all the infrastructure contracts there are Chinese as they can underbid - and out bribe - us. The Chinese know well that "dash" leads to ink on paper and signed contracts) and other than high end semi-bespoke vehicles I doubt that any motor car is wholly in every part and component now made in Britain.

Furthermore from experience with how the US was forced to back down in recent trade wars with Britain and the EU over non-US steel I know that Britain on it own....out of the EU bloc...will fare badly in any trade negotiation with the US. Anyone who still believes in a "special relationship" with the UK overcoming domestic US "special interests" probably also believes in fairies. So in I think that we would have been better off, still, in the EU for all its issues

Edited by enfieldspares