Clarkson's farming programme on Amazon

chrisjpainter

My Mrs and I watched the first episode last night and we had a good laugh at many moments in it. 

A lot of those mistakes I am sure were intentional to look an idiot on camera to try and get a laugh, which was a bit corny but we still had a laugh at the show. 

Considering a massive % of the country would have no idea about farming I think it was very good and showed how a lot of farms are run. 

Funny and educational :) 

52 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, let's say most of the local residents would rather he sold up and moved out, this is very typical of these so called stars of television, 

Its not as though he just brought the farm, he’s owned it for nearly 14 years, if I had his money I dare say I would do the same, good luck to him.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, let's say most of the local residents would rather he sold up and moved out, this is very typical of these so called stars of television, 

That might be the case, but why? There doesn't seem to be much reason behind it. He's not done anything actively damaging to the area and anything that goes on on his own land is his business. The objections to the planning application for the farm shop were quite unfounded, which is why it was granted so readily. 

He's got a lot of money, and it's clear that he's able to do things to make the farm profitable/ecological to an extent and at a speed that other farmers wouldn't necessarily be able to do, but is it really fair to chastise a man for being able to make a farm profitable and doing so? You can't expect him to make the farm run poorly just because others don't have the available capital to improve things. 

He'd have been criticised just as much (maybe more) if, when his farm manager retired, he'd just sold up and moved off. What's the betting all those criticising him and saying he should leave would have been saying 'Oh he never cared about the farm. As soon as he had to actually do something he just gave up and left. His heart was never in it'. Instead, he's stayed and worked it himself - and still gets slated. 

I tend to watch Harry's Farm on youtube and have watched a couple of Clarksons.  He is very honest about the whole deal and the more the general public get to know just what happens on a farm is a good thing. Harry was looking forward to meeting up with him as they are not many miles apart.

Edited by Walker570

50 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

That might be the case, but why? There doesn't seem to be much reason behind it. He's not done anything actively damaging to the area and anything that goes on on his own land is his business. The objections to the planning application for the farm shop were quite unfounded, which is why it was granted so readily. 

He's got a lot of money, and it's clear that he's able to do things to make the farm profitable/ecological to an extent and at a speed that other farmers wouldn't necessarily be able to do, but is it really fair to chastise a man for being able to make a farm profitable and doing so? You can't expect him to make the farm run poorly just because others don't have the available capital to improve things. 

He'd have been criticised just as much (maybe more) if, when his farm manager retired, he'd just sold up and moved off. What's the betting all those criticising him and saying he should leave would have been saying 'Oh he never cared about the farm. As soon as he had to actually do something he just gave up and left. His heart was never in it'. Instead, he's stayed and worked it himself - and still gets slated. 

Hello, I am not chastising him at all, I just posted what I heard from local people, it's fair to say I am not someone to watch him on TV, and these type of programmes do have people who are expert in farming to advise, I have watched the Yorkshire farming family a few times, but that is very different from farming in the Cotswolds, 

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Clarkson is loud, outspoken, opinionated, wealthy and extremely successful. He is also very unPC. 
Like Piers Morgan, people either like or loathe him. 
I don’t agree with everything Clarkson says ( he claimed the vote to leave the EU was down to a load of Northern people with low IQ’s 😂) but I like him. I loathe Morgan. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Clarkson is loud, outspoken, opinionated, wealthy and extremely successful. He is also very unPC. 
I don’t agree with everything Clarkson says ( he claimed the vote to leave the EU was down to a load of Northern people with low IQ’s 😂) but I like him. I loathe Morgan. 

I could have posted that!

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I am not chastising him at all, I just posted what I heard from local people, it's fair to say I am not someone to watch him on TV, and these type of programmes do have people who are expert in farming to advise, I have watched the Yorkshire farming family a few times, but that is very different from farming in the Cotswolds, 

Sorry I meant the locals chastising, not you. Yeah I think the difference that they're not crediting Clarkson with from those types of shows is that he chose to stay on and commit himself to it because he wanted to. He had the tailor-made excuse to get out of it when his farm manager retired, but he thought he'd go for it instead. He's had help, but what's interesting is the amount of time he spends in the show with that help and makes it obvious how hopeless he is. Not in a dramatic way, but in a real way. 5 minutes of TV where you watch someone struggling to get to grips with a 22 page form of field usage and endless crop codes isn't the first thing people think of as entertaining, but there's Clarkson, on TV, with Cheerful Charlie his farm accountant/paperwork guru going through them, because it's what farmers have to do.

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Yup. It's personal preference. But Pierce Morgan's an intolerable snake, who makes money out of creating division and disharmony. And enjoys the heartache he causes along the way.

I read his interviews in the farmers weekly in the couple of weeks prior to it being released. He readily admits hes useless on the farm and clueless. He also said that although some bits are filmed for the show - such as the shepherdess reversing the stock trailer into the shed - but for the most part it's as it happens and he didn't want to make it too much like the grand tour. He was going to use actors for parts like Kaleb but the lad was so earnest, funny and good on camera he used him instead. I'm on episode 4 and I like it, the first episode I wasn't sure but it is very good. And like pangolin said his dry stone waller/head of security is very funny!

49 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

I read his interviews in the farmers weekly in the couple of weeks prior to it being released. He readily admits hes useless on the farm and clueless. He also said that although some bits are filmed for the show - such as the shepherdess reversing the stock trailer into the shed - but for the most part it's as it happens and he didn't want to make it too much like the grand tour. He was going to use actors for parts like Kaleb but the lad was so earnest, funny and good on camera he used him instead. I'm on episode 4 and I like it, the first episode I wasn't sure but it is very good. And like pangolin said his dry stone waller/head of security is very funny!

Kaleb is good on camera and the dry stone waller's mullet gets better during lockdown. Haha.