Homing Ukrainian refugees

mel b3

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Seriously upset to hear that news. He is a lovely bloke, wish him well from me and hope he fully recovers.

We are close enough so don't hesitate if help needed.

Will do nev , and  thankyou 👍.

On 09/04/2022 at 16:24, mel b3 said:

We've still heard nothing here Gordon. 

It's looking like our plans might change anyway . Lins dad had a car crash last Saturday , and he's still in hospital at the moment,  with a fractured sternum . It looks very much like he'll be coming to live with us when he gets out . He can't really walk at the moment,  but we don't know yet if that'll be permanent,  or temporary. 

Sorry to hear that Mel.

On 09/04/2022 at 16:43, Walker570 said:

Saw GB News and Farage yesterday interviewing a chap who had a seriously nice home on offer for the refugees. The local council had turned him down for some very petty reasons. I am sure if I was a refugee from Ukraine at the moment I would have jumped at the chance to stay there.  Clip Board Council idiots again....Lambeth I believe so that says it all.

We are looking at a request now (mum and small daughter) and starting to see in detail what I thought might be a difficult process is going to take a fair bit of managing. Visa, DBS check, house safety check, nursery, benefits / interim payments, driving licence reg's, insurance, terms of occupation.

9 hours ago, cardigun said:

Don't forget we are no longer in the EU. No longer have "Free movement".  Most of Europe is in the EU, so not really able to compare us to them.

I don't wish to be compared with them. These folk are in trouble through non of their own making...free movement should not even beconsidered. Having seen and heard that example on GB News then there is little doubt the box tickers are having a beano whilst these poor people suffer. I am pretty sure most if not all of them would be very happy with a comforatble safe caravan.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Sorry to hear that Mel.

Cheers Grant . Hopefully he'll make a fast and **** recovery,  and will soon be happy in his own home again.

We are looking at a request now (mum and small daughter) and starting to see in detail what I thought might be a difficult process is going to take a fair bit of managing. Visa, DBS check, house safety check, nursery, benefits / interim payments, driving licence reg's, insurance, terms of occupation.

I can understand most of that , but why the driving licence etc ?.

2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I can understand most of that , but why the driving licence etc ?.

We have no public transport here. To get child to nursery and access employment a car will be required. I think a Ukraine license is valid for a year but then they will have to take a test. Getting insurance may be problematic but I understand that ins comp's are reviewing this. 

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

We have no public transport here. To get child to nursery and access employment a car will be required. I think a Ukraine license is valid for a year but then they will have to take a test. Getting insurance may be problematic but I understand that ins comp's are reviewing this. 

That makes sense 👍.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, just to resurrect this topic, I see there's been reports on TV that many who applied in UK to rehouse Ukraine citizens have been single men and some with previous convictions looking for single women , do they have background checks on this government web site, and some properties shown were not fit for human habitation ? Also some UK hosts now find they cannot afford to look after the Ukraine family,  Then the visa fiasco, so what's gone wrong ?? With this in mind why would a Ukrainian national want to come here, Has any PW member who put their details on the homes for Ukraine had any success ??

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Like Harold said, OPP, you're right there's always one somewhere thinks he's a chance! I read similar reports also +1.

33 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

I see there's been reports on TV that many who applied in UK to rehouse Ukraine citizens have been single men and some with previous convictions looking for single women , do they have background checks on this government web site, and some properties shown were not fit for human habitation ? 

Edited by enfieldspares

We have a female refugee who has asked to stay with us. She has just left Lviv for Italy to stay with friends whilst her cats are subject to UK isolation rules (we don't make it easy). She has received her visa and we are undergoing DBS checks and have a house inspection next week. 

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, just to resurrect this topic, I see there's been reports on TV that many who applied in UK to rehouse Ukraine citizens have been single men and some with previous convictions looking for single women , do they have background checks on this government web site, and some properties shown were not fit for human habitation ? Also some UK hosts now find they cannot afford to look after the Ukraine family,  Then the visa fiasco, so what's gone wrong ?? With this in mind why would a Ukrainian national want to come here, Has any PW member who put their details on the homes for Ukraine had any success ??

Yes I have a family living with me (a mother and two teenage children), because of the children I had to have an enhanced DBS check which was back within a week (standard one returned within 4 hours), my house was checked over by the local council and approved before my guests were granted their visa, there have been problems (as expected as this is a relatively new international problem) but issues are being resolved pretty quickly (bank account/extended visa/benefits etc), my local council has been great, from discussions with the lady from the council I would say the issue was the offer of the £350/month payment, once this was mentioned a LOT of people jumped on the bandwagon for 'easy money', people with one bedroom flats offering room for families (apparently thinking it was £350 per person per month).

Overall it was slow initially but problems were being addressed, I did feel guilty talking to the family and saying "no updates yet" for what felt like weeks.

The family have settled in well, the children are still doing remote schooling and the lady is managing to work remotely (in typical small world scenario she works for a company I used to do IT work for in my last job).

3 hours ago, Deker said:

Yes I have a family living with me (a mother and two teenage children), because of the children I had to have an enhanced DBS check which was back within a week (standard one returned within 4 hours), my house was checked over by the local council and approved before my guests were granted their visa, there have been problems (as expected as this is a relatively new international problem) but issues are being resolved pretty quickly (bank account/extended visa/benefits etc), my local council has been great, from discussions with the lady from the council I would say the issue was the offer of the £350/month payment, once this was mentioned a LOT of people jumped on the bandwagon for 'easy money', people with one bedroom flats offering room for families (apparently thinking it was £350 per person per month).

Overall it was slow initially but problems were being addressed, I did feel guilty talking to the family and saying "no updates yet" for what felt like weeks.

The family have settled in well, the children are still doing remote schooling and the lady is managing to work remotely (in typical small world scenario she works for a company I used to do IT work for in my last job).

bloody well done....im in awe of what you have done:good:

On 29/03/2022 at 20:12, oowee said:

The Govt   civil service        is doing it's best to make it as hard a process as possible. 

I have said it many times, parts of the civil service are seriously out of control. Saying that there has to be safeguarding checks and balances in place

Edited by Vince Green

15 hours ago, Deker said:

Very well done sir 👍

22 hours ago, Deker said:

Good on you.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I have now read that many Ukrainian nationals are taking legal action against the UK Home office

This should just be laughed at.

We are under NO legal obligation to take refugees, a moral one maybe, but not legal.

Edited by Newbie to this

• 1 month later...

We are still waiting for our candidate to confirm a travel date for this month. She has to come this month to activate her (3 month) visa which will expire otherwise. 

Not easy as if she only comes for a week we cannot claim a payment and we will be in for costs before we start. Also we don't want to hold a space if she does not want it as we would rather it was used. 😐

• 1 month later...

Hello, just my update but I did not know the government gave county council's £10, 500 per Ukraine national to settle in their county, yet good citizens in UK giving them a home only got £350 a month, ? Now I read for some reason councils are having to find accommodation as many are leaving their original host families 🤔