Homing Ukrainian refugees

mel b3

17 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

Hello, my only advice on the subject is take utmost caution as to giving  a home to complete strangers. Will they have background checks for any criminal or undesirable activities? Will any history of wrong doing be disclosed, etc etc etc. What is the position if they refuse to leave on request?  Please be very careful who you invite into your home and local community. I do not have an answer to refugee situation, but I'm not certain an open door free for all , putting extra strain on NHS, schools, housing, benefit payments etc, should be the first option. How many should we take? 10 or 10,000 or 10,000000?

If I was in need I hope someone would step in. The least I can do is help someone less fortunate than myself.

There is no simple answer to Putin but I want to do my bit in this fight. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the WAR coverage is horrific and laudable though it is to offer help and support for those in need. I  Don't think that anyone has put much though into how difficult it will be to cohabit with strangers in a home.  Most will be women, girls and children. When the wife and I first got married we lived with her mum & dad. For about seven months before we got our house sorted. Living in someone else's home is hell.  If I had to do it again I would rather live out in a tent or better a caravan.  I can see much bigger problems of social personal interactions than whether an foe  might question  a person being in a home with guns.  All of the normal personal vises can and will come in to pĺay especially when the refugees will mainly be female. Where does the goverment think that all of these people are going to be housed, employed , doctored, schooled after the six months or a year.? In some bed sit or some third rate hotel room.  There is  no way that these people will be going back to the unkraine in the foreseeable future.  Firstly Russia won't be giving back this country and retreating with their tails between there legs and there won't be anything left to go back to for them.  And are you going to look after some woman's kids when she is off out to find another breadwinner when her husband gets killed and then want to bring that bloke into your home also.  There's  multitudes of scenarios just waiting to be played out. Oh and before anyone starts criticising my comments  take time to think it through. Why do you think that the government are dragging our feet somewhat.  We might take the doctors, the teachers, the technicians, scientists and the liķe but I'm sure that is what they are screening for. Not road sweepers, rif raf. Romas,  caravan club members and General Hobldy hoys. Irregardless of how sad it all is. My shoulders are broad and I've got me tin at out.

Edited by Minky

4 minutes ago, Minky said:

Watching the WAR coverage is horrific and laudable though it is to offer help and support for those in need. Don't think that anyone has put into how difficult it will be to cohabit with strangers in a home.  Most will be women, girls and children. When the wife and I first got married we lived with her mum & dad. For about seven months before we got our house sorted. Living in someone else's home is he'll.  If I had to do it again I would rather live out in a tent or better a caravan.  I can see much bigger problems of social personal interactions than whether an foe  might question  a person being in a home with guns. All of the normal personal vises can and will come in to pĺay especially when the refugees will mainly be female. Where does the goverment think that all of these people are going to be housed, employed , doctored, schooled after the six months or a year.  There is  no way that these people will be going back to the unfair in the foreseeable future.  Firstly Russia won't be giving back this country and retreating with their tails between there legs and there won't be anything left to go back to.  And are you going to look after some woman's kids when she is off out to find another breadwinner when her husband gets killed and then want to bring him into your home also.  There's  multitudes of scenarios just waiting to be played out. Oh and before anyone starts criticising my comments  take time to think it through. Why do you think that the government are dragging our feet somewhat.  We might take the doctors, the teachers, the technicians, scientists and the liķe but I'm sure that is what they are screening for. Not road sweepers, rif raf. Romas,  caravan club members and General Hobldy hoys. Irregardless of how sad it all is.

Good, sensible post.

36 minutes ago, oowee said:

If I was in need I hope someone would step in. The least I can do is help someone less fortunate than myself.

This 👍.

I watch it happening on the TV . The 72 year old lady , just walking the streets with two carrier bags , and doesn't know what's going on , or where she is . The 76 year old man that was crying because  he was so cold,  and had no food . The many thousands of women with children , that are desperate to get the kids to safety. My heart breaks for these people . I can't go and fight for them , but I can offer them food,  and somewhere safe to sleep until their nightmare is over.

45 minutes ago, oowee said:

There is always people in need.. Syria, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Lebanon, Iraq, starving babies in Africa and elsewhere and the list goes on and on for ever and ever. Is it only Putin's refugees we should take, or shall we feed and house and provide for everyone in the world? It's too emotive and easy to be swept along with mass outputs of sympathy, without realising the full consequence. Good luck helping to feed the world, but not at my families expense thank you. Regards

Martin Bell said "They asked what we can do;  we'll  have to do something".  I offered to move Mbongo's hut nearer to the water hole and sort out a new bucket  for him but they declined my offer and asked if I could contribute towards a new range rover so that they could go and film Mbongo's daily struggles. I declined their invitation.  The Mrs has put in an offer that we could perhaps take in a fit young lad that could give her a hand and I  offered to take in a pretty fit 18 year old gal that I could show how to relòad ammunition for the cause.

8 hours ago, Minky said:

We might take the doctors, the teachers, the technicians, scientists and the liķe but I'm sure that is what they are screening for. Not road sweepers, rif raf. Romas,  caravan club members and General Hobldy hoys. Irregardless of how sad it all is. My shoulders are broad and I've got me tin at out.

Wouldn't they only need some standing though instead of a room. 

9 hours ago, benbobailey said:

There is always people in need.. Syria, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Lebanon, Iraq, starving babies in Africa and elsewhere and the list goes on and on for ever and ever. Is it only Putin's refugees we should take, or shall we feed and house and provide for everyone in the world? It's too emotive and easy to be swept along with mass outputs of sympathy, without realising the full consequence. Good luck helping to feed the world, but not at my families expense thank you. Regards

This is more or less how I see it. 👆I just didn’t want to be the first to say it…..’oh there’s Scully off on another one again’.
There have been displaced people for one reason or another throughout my entire life from all over the world; mass appeals to the affluent west for public aid and help in one form or another as people flee persecution or death, but as far as I can recall there have been no appeals to house anyone from Syria or Palestine, Bosnia or Mogadishu.
If you want to house someone from the Ukraine then fair enough, more power to your elbow, but why the emotive outpourings now, and why just for the displaced people of the Ukraine?

10 hours ago, Minky said:

Watching the WAR coverage is horrific and laudable though it is to offer help and support for those in need. I  Don't think that anyone has put much though into how difficult it will be to cohabit with strangers in a home.  Most will be women, girls and children. When the wife and I first got married we lived with her mum & dad. For about seven months before we got our house sorted. Living in someone else's home is hell.  If I had to do it again I would rather live out in a tent or better a caravan.  I can see much bigger problems of social personal interactions than whether an foe  might question  a person being in a home with guns.  All of the normal personal vises can and will come in to pĺay especially when the refugees will mainly be female. Where does the goverment think that all of these people are going to be housed, employed , doctored, schooled after the six months or a year.? In some bed sit or some third rate hotel room.  There is  no way that these people will be going back to the unkraine in the foreseeable future.  Firstly Russia won't be giving back this country and retreating with their tails between there legs and there won't be anything left to go back to for them.  And are you going to look after some woman's kids when she is off out to find another breadwinner when her husband gets killed and then want to bring that bloke into your home also.  There's  multitudes of scenarios just waiting to be played out. Oh and before anyone starts criticising my comments  take time to think it through. Why do you think that the government are dragging our feet somewhat.  We might take the doctors, the teachers, the technicians, scientists and the liķe but I'm sure that is what they are screening for. Not road sweepers, rif raf. Romas,  caravan club members and General Hobldy hoys. Irregardless of how sad it all is. My shoulders are broad and I've got me tin at out.

Hello, you don't need a tin hat, 

9 hours ago, mel b3 said:

This 👍.

I watch it happening on the TV . The 72 year old lady , just walking the streets with two carrier bags , and doesn't know what's going on , or where she is . The 76 year old man that was crying because  he was so cold,  and had no food . The many thousands of women with children , that are desperate to get the kids to safety. My heart breaks for these people . I can't go and fight for them , but I can offer them food,  and somewhere safe to sleep until their nightmare is over.

Hello, I agree Mel, millions of displaced Ukrainians , many killed, and homes destroyed let alone the physiological pain they are suffering all because of 1 mans ideals of wanting Russia like a century ago, how can we not try and help Ukrainians which ever way,  be it money, relief aid, and even accommodation, 

11 hours ago, Minky said:

This why I'm so annoyed at all the greedy businesses looking for cheap unskilled labour, virtue signalling or out of touch people and politicians in this country. For years we've had a policy allowing economic migrants to come here and laws preventing us from sending them back, all the while accusing anyone pointing these facts out of being xenophobic racists. Thanks to these idiots, we are now in a situation where the only way many of these genuine Ukrainian refugees will be able to come here is through the good will of the British public, many of which will be the same people who have been branded racist in the past for pointing out the obvious. 

I hope the woke, the virtue signalers, the greedy businesses and career politicians are happy with themselves, they will likely be responsible for hardship and even deaths. 

Good on the British public who have once again shown what a tolerant, peaceful and welcoming society we are. 

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, definitely time to close our borders and invite the really needy in.

Agree 100% but it's never going to happen. I sympathise with the Ukrainian's and will consider offering a room but I think with energy bills rising everything is about to go up and £87/week  doesn't go far.

The top and bottom of it , is that some people will care enough to help others in life , even if it causes them a little discomfort , but others won't .    Their is no point trying to explain this to someone that doesn't care enough , as no amount of explaining would help them to understand . You either get it , or you don't.

One thing is for certain though . Those same people that refuse to help others in their time of desperate need , would be the first to grab help if they needed it.

Myself and my family are already very well aware of most of the potential pitfalls . My original post was just asking for the experiences of others , that might have already offered similar assistance to others in need , so that we can be as prepared as possible , and offer the right kind of help.

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

The top and bottom of it , is that some people will care enough to help others in life , even if it causes them a little discomfort , but others won't .    Their is no point trying to explain this to someone that doesn't care enough , as no amount of explaining would help them to understand . You either get it , or you don't.

One thing is for certain though . Those same people that refuse to help others in their time of desperate need , would be the first to grab help if they needed it.

Myself and my family are already very well aware of most of the potential pitfalls . My original post was just asking for the experiences of others , that might have already offered similar assistance to others in need , so that we can be as prepared as possible , and offer the right kind of help.

I would assist anyone who is NOT killing other people if your that bothered try condemning gump for giving arms to cause yet MORE refugees I’m sick of guilt mongers crying while BOTH of these clowns are at fault 

34 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I admire your goodwill gesture. However what is your selection criteria? Why not refugees from all trouble and poverty stricken nations, why not starving African children, why not people in need of help in this country, why not anybody needing help from anywhere in the world? Why the sudden mass hysteria to help one country in need? Are you going to take and help people in need for ever, or just from Ukraine for 3 months   .

Please don't think because people like myself aren't jumping on the current bandwagon of mass sympathy, that we do not care. We just don't agree this is the best  solution to the refugee crisis, short or long term .  Regards

Edited by benbobailey

9 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

I admire your goodwill gesture. However what is your selection criteria? Why not refugees from all trouble and poverty stricken nations, why not starving African children, why not people in need of help in this country, why not anybody needing help from anywhere in the world? Why the sudden mass hysteria to help one country in need? Are you going to take and help people in need for ever, or just from Ukraine for 3 months   .

Please don't think because people like myself aren't jumping on the current bandwagon of mass sympathy, that we do not care. We just don't agree this is the best  solution to the refugee crisis, short or long term .  Regards

I'm not in it for a row , I only asked for practical advice . 

You either get it , or you don't.

I think most of the current popularity of offering space in our homes is that Ukraine culture is relatively more similar to ours than those who come here from the middle east or Africa for example.

We don't want prayer mats and curry smells around the house - FGM, accompanied females, hijabs, wrap around bed sheets on our clothes lines, honour issues etc but we're basically not allowed to speak what we think about issues like that under threat of being racist or having religious hatred.

17 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'm not in it for a row , I only asked for practical advice . 

You either get it , or you don't.

Ive already offered you my admiration and merely asked some relevant questions, which you leave unanswered. Sincere best wishes in your quest to help the selected needy . God help the rest .  Regards

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

£350/month?, how much are we paying to house the Dinghy Divers in hotels? more than that per week. 

Culturally the Ukrainian refugees will be much easier, and cheaper, to assimilate into British Society than the boat people. Apart from the language they are already westernised.

My late mum's live in carer was Hungarian and she was brilliant to share a home with

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

I think most of the current popularity of offering space in our homes is that Ukraine culture is relatively more similar to ours than those who come here from the middle east or Africa for example.

this

Edited by Vince Green