How long to use up ammo stock ?

30-6

It will more than likely be a ban on the sale of ammunition containing led rather than a ban on its use. 

There are rough shooters out there still making their way through slabs of cartridges they bought 10 years ago 2-3 shots at a time on the few occasions in the winter they get to go shooting. On this basis there will still be lead cartridges in use for many years to come. 

There are still lots of people out there with old Russian carts and they haven't been on sale for probably 30+ years. 

As long as home use lead shot towers and church roofs exist, so will lead cartridges. Though probably not on your average commercial shoot or clay ground.  

Well I have just ordered 40 kg of lead shot and still got 20kg in shed so as far as I am concerned fxxxem I will not shoot cartridges with plastic wads I have been shooting crows on a field by we I shot 148 crows one day at 2.25 to one can you imagine what the field would look like with all that plastic over it and also lead is a natural substance where as plastic is man made.

1 hour ago, 30-6 said:

When the lead ban finally comes in 2025, do we get to use up cartridges, bullets and pellets we have ? Or January 1st 2026 to fire lead in any shape or form becomes illegal.

I read somewhere that there will be a grace of two years after the ban comes into effect, anyone found using lead after the two year grace will be prosecuted, so it looks like we have a few years to use all our ammo. :)

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

i can't see Lead Police patrolling our woods and fields with magnets like the game wardens do in the USA.  As said, as usual nobody has considered this almost like the idiot/s who devised Smart Motorways never thought that through and dozens have been killed and maimed. 

Although I was not shocked by the following, I was surprised at the number of wildfowl being shot with lead, if this is anything to go by then its possible people will still be using lead (illegally) long after the ban, but as you say who will police this?

Snippet taken from the GWCT website.

‘Scientists at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), ADAS UK, the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT), and the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) carry out surveys assessing compliance. These organisations studied samples of shot wildfowl alongside member surveys14.

These surveys found that over the winters of 2001/2, 2008/9, 2009/10, and 2013/14 over 70% of ducks sold by game suppliers were shot with lead14,15. Surveys of BASC members found at 45% of respondents admitted they ‘sometimes or never comply’ with lead shot restrictions.

Long-term research found that between 1999 and 2020, an estimated 12.9 million ducks were illegally killed with lead shot in England. This equates to an average of 586,000 a year.

2 hours ago, snow white said:

Well I have just ordered 40 kg of lead shot and still got 20kg in shed so as far as I am concerned fxxxem I will not shoot cartridges with plastic wads I have been shooting crows on a field by we I shot 148 crows one day at 2.25 to one can you imagine what the field would look like with all that plastic over it and also lead is a natural substance where as plastic is man made.

Ah but, no but, seems the experts know best?

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Although I was not shocked by the following, I was surprised at the number of wildfowl being shot with lead, if this is anything to go by then its possible people will still be using lead (illegally) long after the ban, but as you say who will police this?

Snippet taken from the GWCT website.

‘Scientists at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), ADAS UK, the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT), and the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) carry out surveys assessing compliance. These organisations studied samples of shot wildfowl alongside member surveys14.

These surveys found that over the winters of 2001/2, 2008/9, 2009/10, and 2013/14 over 70% of ducks sold by game suppliers were shot with lead14,15. Surveys of BASC members found at 45% of respondents admitted they ‘sometimes or never comply’ with lead shot restrictions.

Long-term research found that between 1999 and 2020, an estimated 12.9 million ducks were illegally killed with lead shot in England. This equates to an average of 586,000 a year.

I think that the majority of wildfowlers use non toxic cartridges. Our duck syndicate certainly do. The problem is that many commercial shoots make up the numbers with a duck drive, I have seen on many occasions guns just use the game cartridges on both game and ducks. These shoots are also more likely to sell to game dealers 

36 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Can't say unless you buy the last.... ;) What's my commission? aha

I'm driving up the a34 to m40 if you need any delivering to save you driving down to Greenfields?

Hello, I'm sure I have enough at this time, I have some romag 28g 7.5s , do these have plaswads ?

20 minutes ago, cardigun said:

Some Game dealers wont take lead shot pheasants already. One of the Shoots we are going to in October has said "No Lead shot" to be used.

think most of the bigger commercial shoots will have to fall into line...https://sportingshooter.co.uk/article/game-dealers-wont-take-leadshot-game-from-july-2022

16 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

I think that the majority of wildfowlers use non toxic cartridges. Our duck syndicate certainly do. The problem is that many commercial shoots make up the numbers with a duck drive, I have seen on many occasions guns just use the game cartridges on both game and ducks. These shoots are also more likely to sell to game dealers 

This.    I don't take my gun out of the sleave if any shoot tries to slip a tame duck drive in to make up numbers. Grimsthorp where very bad at this.

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

This.    I don't take my gun out of the sleave if any shoot tries to slip a tame duck drive in to make up numbers. Grimsthorp where very bad at this.

Yep, it does seem widespread on, as you call it, “a tame duck drive” I have also witnessed this myself but I think this will come to an end now as game dealers are starting to refuse lead shot game.

Hi oldun that’s a lot of duck killed with lead pellets. Do you know if anyone was prosecuted or any business closed down. Wildfowl clubs have used no lead shot for over twenty years a lot of members have never used lead shot for wildfowl. It’s written in the lease no lead. If a member used lead shot he would be reported to the committee and the police. Any one seeing wildfowl shot with lead on any shoot has a duty to report it or we are all responsible for it. The BASC did an article on game dealers selling duck shot with lead pellets but did they do anything about it. It could be a good idea to buy lead cartridges, if the law does change and the government buy back lead cartridges it could be profitable. If the law changed it will be like any other law and state a date it will start from.