Don't really like him, but simply brilliant.

Penelope

51 minutes ago, Scully said:

Just watched it, but couldn’t to the end. He makes some valid points, but he’s let everyone down by talking over her and stifling her input. She would no doubt just have added to the rope with which she could be hung, but talking over someone so they can’t put their point across, isn’t debate. 
He hasn’t shone in my opinion, and just appears to be a harassing bully. 

But he did show how hypocritical their argument is when all she wanted the spout was the indoctrinated climate change mantra.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Scully said:

None of which is going to happen in the lifetime of anyone currently on PW

Absolutely 😄

Just watched it, but couldn’t to the end. He makes some valid points, but he’s let everyone down by talking over her and stifling her input. She would no doubt just have added to the rope with which she could be hung, but talking over someone so they can’t put their point across, isn’t debate. 

I felt the same, his attitude is gives them more credence

4 hours ago, Scully said:

i agree i like PM because he will ask the question but he dose  shout over people and then becomes a bully as Scully said if he had let her carry on she would have had enough rope to hang herself 

5 hours ago, Scully said:

None of which is going to happen in the lifetime of anyone currently on PW

It's happening now. Look at the vegetarian choice on most menus. Most will also offer a vegan option. Cultured meat is already available and there are many meat eaters that are doing a few veggie meals. It's slow but sure. 

Veggie days are not always my favourite 😋 but I am getting used to it. 

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

It's happening now. Look at the vegetarian choice on most menus. Most will also offer a vegan option. Cultured meat is already available and there are many meat eaters that are doing a few veggie meals. It's slow but sure. 

Veganism as a lifestyle choice is a trend only afforded by the affluent west.
As I’ve said before, it isn’t practical nor safe to prepare and serve vegan and non vegan ( as in meat ) in the same kitchen with the same staff. Even vegetarian and vegan is risky. 
I like vegetarian food, but it’s by choice, which is how it should remain. 
No one on PW currently, will see either the voluntary or legislative change from a current to vegan lifestyle. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I've been doing a bit of vegan . I have three vegan meals per year , when we visit lins lad .😁

He's been a professional chef for years , and in all honesty , the vegan food that he cooks is absolutely top notch 👌

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Veganism as a lifestyle choice is a trend only afforded by the affluent west.
As I’ve said before, it isn’t practical nor safe to prepare and serve vegan and non vegan ( as in meat ) in the same kitchen with the same staff. Even vegetarian and vegan is risky. 
I like vegetarian food, but it’s by choice, which is how it should remain. 
No one on PW currently, will see either the voluntary or legislative change from a current to vegan lifestyle. 

Excuse my ignorance scully , but why is mixing vegan and veggie risky ?. 

11 hours ago, islandgun said:

A few simple questions he could/should  have asked

1 When a plant based diet becomes law who will kill all the farm animals ? they cant just be set free as they will multiply and destroy the newly re-wilded farms, 

2 Should food imports[vegetables] stop as it makes little sense to ship large quantities of food across the world with the aim to reduce emissions

3 Will the now redundant workforce [agriculture food and fisheries] be made to give up their land, factories and equipment and retrain if so what in

4 Can we live on a diet of root crops and cereals

Im sure there are many more...in my view sustainability and freedom of choice should feature in any further debate 

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2022/09/06/animal-rights-protesters-film-themselves-drilling-holes-in-muller-lorry-tyres-at-willenhall/

also there are nudreds of thousands of acres of land in the uk that cereals or veg can be grown on.what would the vegans put that over to.i like piers he goes straight to the point not like most others in his job.a country devoid of animals is not one that i want to live in.i have tried to imagine what it would be like to live in a world where everything these groups wanted stopped etc.i think the first to shout loudest would be the ones asking for it.

Edited by bostonmick

27 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

also there are nudreds of thousands of acres of land in the uk that cereals or veg can be grown on.what would the vegans put that over to.i like piers he goes straight to the point not like most others in his job.a country devoid of animals is not one that i want to live in.i have tried to imagine what it would be like to live in a world where everything these groups wanted stopped etc.i think the first to shout loudest would be the ones asking for it.

He would be far more interesting if he let his guest speak. 

I hear this a lot about land not being suitable for xyz but as technology develops these issues are likley to be overcome. First we need farming efficiency, and this is likely to come from scale. We still need lots of land for trees too. 

17 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I can't stand him shouting down people. It's a poor technique and one that carries no favour with me. He has been put in his place a few times and that's equally amusing. 

I have little time for veganism also. If that's what they want then fine but don't tell me what I have to do, as I don't have to do anything. 

☝️ Absolutely so.

9 hours ago, Cranfield said:

"The death of a few animals and insects will be inconsequential"

Here are some facts, just a "few" animals ?

www.statista.com 2021 numbers.
22.8 m lambs and sheep.
9.4m beef cattle
1.1m dairy cattle
4.76m pigs
Too many chickens to count (incl domestic ownership)

I believe you have taken the wrong end of the stick here. @ooweewas responding to my comment, I think when he said "The death of a few animals and insects will be inconsequential" he was referring to the animals and insects that die through the production and transportation of food and not animals that are bread for the purpose of being consumed. 

6 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

I believe you have taken the wrong end of the stick here. @ooweewas responding to my comment, I think when he said "The death of a few animals and insects will be inconsequential" he was referring to the animals and insects that die through the production and transportation of food and not animals that are bread for the purpose of being consumed. 

👍🏼

1 hour ago, oowee said:

He would be far more interesting if he let his guest speak. 

I hear this a lot about land not being suitable for xyz but as technology develops these issues are likley to be overcome. First we need farming efficiency, and this is likely to come from scale. We still need lots of land for trees too. 

There is no technology that will grow wheat in a peat hag in the Highlands, as already discussed in pw "wind farms" planting trees would be an act of eco vandalism on a moor, farming efficiency or factory farms are the very thing vegans are most against

4 hours ago, oowee said:

What you are having is a healthy and varied diet... But cutting out a complete food group has been proven to be detrimental. I know someone who did go vegan and her body went into complete lockdown, she got very unwell and was advised to go back to eating meat.. but doing what you currently are. I have fish nights, meat nights veggie nights, as it's a healthy and balanced diet.

To spout out the same rhetoric about cows being bad, when you eat foods produced and shipped half way round the world is a non starter for me. You can't bang on about climate when vapour trails are you foods route to the plate. 

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

In a professional capacity such as a restaurant it’s because of the risk of cross contamination. 
Some ( but by no means all ) people are vegan due to allergies or some other health issue, such as ‘dairy’ products, which are quite acceptable in a vegetarian diet but not in vegan. 
It’s a small risk possibly, but not really a risk a professional restaurant can afford to take. 
It is for this reason my OH and others in the hospitality business get annoyed at customers who claim to be vegan when they come to their restaurant. They make such a fuss about being vegan, so OH will inform them that if it’s a dietary ‘need’ for health issues, they cannot guarantee products in their meal will be totally vegan as they’re not equipped to cater exclusively for vegans. The customer then asks ‘we’ll what can you do?’ So the staff, including the chef, do their best to cater for them, and then for dessert they choose something laden with cream, or eggs! 🤷‍♂️

In a professional capacity such as a restaurant it’s because of the risk of cross contamination. 
Some ( but by no means all ) people are vegan due to allergies or some other health issue, such as ‘dairy’ products, which are quite acceptable in a vegetarian diet but not in vegan. 
It’s a small risk possibly, but not really a risk a professional restaurant can afford to take. 
It is for this reason my OH and others in the hospitality business get annoyed at customers who claim to be vegan when they come to their restaurant. They make such a fuss about being vegan, so OH will inform them that if it’s a dietary ‘need’ for health issues, they cannot guarantee products in their meal will be totally vegan as they’re not equipped to cater exclusively for vegans. The customer then asks ‘we’ll what can you do?’ So the staff, including the chef, do their best to cater for them, and then for dessert they choose something laden with cream, or eggs! 🤷‍♂️

Got it . Thankyou 👍

My D-in-Law is a self appointed vegan ie no medical needs but personal choice. Although no dairy she does eat goats cheese!! So we visited a restaurant which served goats cheese salad. During the meal she opened a little poly bag and swallowed a couple of white tablets. When asked she said they were supplements. I said that doesn’t this demonstrate that without supplements veganism is an incomplete diet? We’re still speaking 😂😂

15 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I've been doing a bit of vegan . I have three vegan meals per year , when we visit lins lad .😁

He's been a professional chef for years , and in all honesty , the vegan food that he cooks is absolutely top notch 👌

Cross contamination of ethics, I guess?

If we all ate vegan - simply where would we get the fertiliser from ?  More chemicals - more costs - more destruction ?

We dont just need trees for the sake of trees - we need hedges / ponds / ditches and banks - meadows and scrub - Thats the answer to the biodiversity crisis.

Just now, jall25 said:

If we all ate vegan - simply where would we get the fertiliser from with no animals?  More chemicals - more costs - more destruction ?

We dont just need trees for the sake of trees - we need hedges / ponds / ditches and banks - meadows and scrub - Thats the answer to the biodiversity crisis.