Vets fees again.

samboy

7 minutes ago, Goldfish said:

About to pay £280 to get a bitch spayed and currently pay £60 a month for insulin for an older dog, thats the price of having dogs and looking after them I'm afraid 😬

Some years ago I had a dog that needed anti inflammatory tablets, they worked out at £1.12p each, I have a neighbour who happens to be a pharmacist, I showed him the packet the tablets came in, he smiled and said, if you can get a prescription from your vets I can order you some, I was shocked when he told me how much, 10p each.

3 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

My mate took his little 14 yr old terrier to the vet's yesterday and it had to have 5 teeth out.

The bill came to just over £500. They certainly know how to charge. 

I thought that was cheap. Dental work is usually very expensive. 

5 hours ago, old'un said:

Some years ago I had a dog that needed anti inflammatory tablets, they worked out at £1.12p each, I have a neighbour who happens to be a pharmacist, I showed him the packet the tablets came in, he smiled and said, if you can get a prescription from your vets I can order you some, I was shocked when he told me how much, 10p each.

When my older dog went to the vets as well as the antibiotic jabs, I paid for a course of anti sickness tablets to get her back onto her food.... Omeprazole 20mg, exactly the same as I take every damn morning! Same dosage, same packaging and manufacturer and everything. 

When i took my lurcher to the vet they wanted to scan + blood test + biopsy etc. I told them that they are thieves and that's the

honest truth. In the end they took some teeth out and trimmed his nails. £350. Would of been over a thousand if i had let them

have their way. I once took my Mastiff in and they wanted £300 i said no way and they treated him for £38. 

Every word i've said here is the truth. I know they are a business but they are just greedy people.

3 hours ago, Bigbob said:

First question they ask " Do You Have Insurance ?"

Why would you not have insurance ? 

A couple of doors away from me have a fashion dog, French bulldog or whatever, no insurance and now on pain killers due to owners unable to afford treatment to fix the problem. Money for booze and fags though. there are thousands of owners who make the choice of either insuring their pets and more that dont. 

I have insurance for my house, property car's and our dogs, because i want to make sure my assets are either repairable or replaceable 

10 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Why would you not have insurance ? 

A couple of doors away from me have a fashion dog, French bulldog or whatever, no insurance and now on pain killers due to owners unable to afford treatment to fix the problem. Money for booze and fags though. there are thousands of owners who make the choice of either insuring their pets and more that dont. 

I have insurance for my house, property car's and our dogs, because i want to make sure my assets are either repairable or replaceable 

Because if they tick the correct box when asked if the pet is insured they know they can load the bill without many questions being asked by the insurance company.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Because if they tick the correct box when asked if the pet is insured they know they can load the bill without many questions being asked by the insurance company.

Yes i understand that,  and do believe it happens. We are taking one our Labs to Eden Vale vets this Thursday and before any decision was made regarding any treatment i asked for prices of X-ray and CT scan before insurance was mentioned. Costs turned out to be the same. 

Edited by Dougy
Not MRI scan. as previous

My son took out two lurchers out dont know what happened they crossed the top of a hill by the time my songot there my bitch was lying flat out he carried her home on his shoulders , She was struggling to breath so took her to the vets they drained over a pint of fluid from each lung and kept her in next morning phoned up she cant walk we want to put her down , I said i will be up just now to see her Oh she is in our hospitail we dont allow visitors . My wife and i walked in with her sister and she stood up and put her head over her sisters neck i said im taking her home now ,They wouldnt let me they had her spaced out on morphine she didnt know what day it was i had to collect her the next day . 

Then i got the usual are you insured ? nope how are you going to pay for this then ? i said card , cheque  or folding cash which do you prefer ? they then said you have to bring her back in two weeks . I wont kid you it was bloody hard work taking her outside with the wife taking her lead and i was holding a towel under her to take her wiegh round the garden back into a crate so she couldnt move too much . Letting her swim in the bath  rubbing her down three weeks later she walked into the vets and the vet kept looking behind us and said wheres this dog on my notes and she wouldnt believe it was the same dog i said shes a merel what does it say about her colour does she match the notes ?.The vet then said reading this i was prepared to put this dog down today . Seven years later the dogs still running about daft as ever my passing statement to the vet was have a good look at her as i will never be back here and i havent they make a big thing about being a animal hospital not just a vets every time you go its a diffrent vet and there newly quailified and dont have a clue  Three times they asked is it insured ? worried more about the money than the dog because it was £1400  

On 19/09/2022 at 22:37, Bigbob said:

My son took out two lurchers out dont know what happened they crossed the top of a hill by the time my songot there my bitch was lying flat out he carried her home on his shoulders , She was struggling to breath so took her to the vets they drained over a pint of fluid from each lung and kept her in next morning phoned up she cant walk we want to put her down , I said i will be up just now to see her Oh she is in our hospitail we dont allow visitors . My wife and i walked in with her sister and she stood up and put her head over her sisters neck i said im taking her home now ,They wouldnt let me they had her spaced out on morphine she didnt know what day it was i had to collect her the next day . 

Then i got the usual are you insured ? nope how are you going to pay for this then ? i said card , cheque  or folding cash which do you prefer ? they then said you have to bring her back in two weeks . I wont kid you it was bloody hard work taking her outside with the wife taking her lead and i was holding a towel under her to take her wiegh round the garden back into a crate so she couldnt move too much . Letting her swim in the bath  rubbing her down three weeks later she walked into the vets and the vet kept looking behind us and said wheres this dog on my notes and she wouldnt believe it was the same dog i said shes a merel what does it say about her colour does she match the notes ?.The vet then said reading this i was prepared to put this dog down today . Seven years later the dogs still running about daft as ever my passing statement to the vet was have a good look at her as i will never be back here and i havent they make a big thing about being a animal hospital not just a vets every time you go its a diffrent vet and there newly quailified and dont have a clue  Three times they asked is it insured ? worried more about the money than the dog because it was £1400  

Your refusing to give up on her and the resulting care and attention, along with time and worry are admirable, immense respect to you Sir, consider my hat doffed to you.

• 2 weeks later...

We just had the pleasure of a vet bill,on sunday the 11th sept our 7 yr old cross refused her morning feed which was not like her, however she ate her early evening feed somewhat reluctant to do so mind so we put it down to her going off the flavour of the morning nosh.

Then around 9pm she had a bit of a squirty poo....then a vomit so we done the normal thing with no food and just water for 24 hrs....a little later another squirt then more vomit,then things started to go downhill,she would take the water and within 3-5 mins it would come back up...we tried little and often but that made no difference then she vomited what looked like pure blood!

By 5:30 am Monday morning we had her at the vets and as we stood outside talking to the vet she passed what looked like pure blood in a stream from her backside, I kid you not she didn't even get to her normal hunch for pooing when this occured and it looked like a stream from a hosepipe....all over the wifes foot,bloody good shot I thought 😄

Anyhow to cut this story shorter she spent an entire week at the vets on a drip and anitbiotics,omeprazole,pain killer etc,x-ray,blood tests and 3 poo samples taken over 3 days,parvo test,pancreatic test all of which we agreed too....never found the cause but was put down to hemorrhagic gastroenteritis.

If we had left it another hour chances are we would have lost her as she'd lost so much fluid but she fought back and she's here now back to her old self.... I wish the same could be said for my wallet that took a £4000 hit ☹️

My advice to other dog owners is get insurance,as severe HGE can strike any dog at any time and chances are you will never find the cause of it.

Edited by weebster