A call from firearms.

la bala

Had a call from firearms at 8.25 yesterday evening. My shotgun and firearms certificates expire in November, I renewed online in August. The guy told me I would be getting a temporary certificate running to January, at which I would receive my five year renewal. He did mention I couldnt buy ammunition on the temporary certificate. Things as certainly taking time now days.

42 minutes ago, la bala said:

Had a call from firearms at 8.25 yesterday evening. My shotgun and firearms certificates expire in November, I renewed online in August. The guy told me I would be getting a temporary certificate running to January, at which I would receive my five year renewal. He did mention I couldnt buy ammunition on the temporary certificate. Things as certainly taking time now days.

I was told very similar but I am not sure if it said I couldn't buy cartridges ( only got s g c ) as it turned out my new s g c arrived before my old one ran out so all was well .

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I was told very similar but I am not sure if it said I couldn't buy cartridges ( only got s g c ) as it turned out my new s g c arrived before my old one ran out so all was well .

I was pleased the guy told me to restock before my certificate ran out.

57 minutes ago, la bala said:

Had a call from firearms at 8.25 yesterday evening. My shotgun and firearms certificates expire in November, I renewed online in August. The guy told me I would be getting a temporary certificate running to January, at which I would receive my five year renewal. He did mention I couldnt Rifle buy ammunition on the temporary certificate. Things as certainly taking time now days.

Check ot the ammo situation maybe? When i was given a section 7 I was told I could not possess  any ammo and  to place all my made up rifle cartridges with an RFD.

Edited by old man

Renewed both of mine recently and the new ones were with me 2-3 weeks before the old ones ran out.

All done online and on the phone. Can't fault Cheshire in my experiences, they have always been exceptionally quick with anything with me.

Once put in a variation, posted on Friday on my doormat by Tuesday, I was surprised it was even possible.

9 hours ago, la bala said:

Who do you come under?

Cambs, Beds and Herts have been doing very well lately.

14 hours ago, Scully said:

A few years ago I was told during a renewal, that if I needed ammo I could have my old ( still current and unexpired ) ticket back. 🤷‍♂️ I haven’t handed in my actual tickets since. 

I have never, ever handed in an old ticket until I have the new one.

Leicestershire always, in past times, asked that you sent the FAC that was being renewed in to them. Why? Because those of us old enough to remember the stiff handwritten onto a printed white paper document FAC in a blue window "envelope" will recall that it had pre-printed boxes saying something like "I hereby renew this Certificate for three years" which the thing then came back signed off and dated by the Chief Constable (or "PP'd"). So either old habits died hard or, maybe, there was a still unrepealed section in the Firearms Act (or Rules) requiring it to be sent in. Personally I never had a problem with sending it in as you always flagged up on their system as having an FAC.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I have never, ever handed in an old ticket until I have the new one.

Bill Harriman apparently has every ticket he’s ever been issued. If I’d known from the start that it wasn’t a legal requirement ( even though licensing always asked for them ) to hand an expiring ticket in, I’d still have mine. 

Westmids/Staffordshire Police.

I put in my application mid May, my tickets, SGC/FAC ran out mid August, received a letter 4 Aug extending it till 20 Oct.

well its the 1 Nov today so I phoned them…..eeer yes, sorry, we should have sent another extension out,...ill put one in the post,...how long for I asked...another 4 months.

Effectively I have been unlicensed from the 20 Oct till now, wonder where I would have stood if I had a knock on the door?

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Westmids/Staffordshire Police.

I put in my application mid May, my tickets, SGC/FAC ran out mid August, received a letter 4 Aug extending it till 20 Oct.

well its the 1 Nov today so I phoned them…..eeer yes, sorry, we should have sent another extension out,...ill put one in the post,...how long for I asked...another 4 months.

Effectively I have been unlicensed from the 20 Oct till now, wonder where I would have stood if I had a knock on the door?

I would have been on the phone reading the riot act on 19th October.

No excuse is good enough for incompetence, particularly when it could have serious consequences.

12 minutes ago, London Best said:

I would have been on the phone reading the riot act on 19th October.

No excuse is good enough for incompetence, particularly when it could have serious consequences.

Agreed, I should have been on the phone but it totally slipped my mind (old age)

yep, I was in possession of unlicensed firearms, but I would think that if I had ended up in court

the judge would have thrown it out considering I had done my part, unless the Police have got a get-out clause.

Hope you mean incompetence on their part and not mine? :)

1 minute ago, old'un said:

Agreed, I should have been on the phone but it totally slipped my mind (old age)

yep, I was in possession of unlicensed firearms, but I would think that if I had ended up in court

the judge would have thrown it out considering I had done my part, unless the Police have got a get-out clause.

Hope you mean incompetence on their part and not mine? :)

Yes Sir, incompetence on the part of firearms licensing.

I find that calling folk who deserve it ‘incompetent’ can often have a useful effect.