People can't afford to eat...............

Walker570

8 hours ago, Houseplant said:

My plan for a welfare state. Everyone that can work starts off with a year's credit which will give them full benefits for up to a year. After that, they're on their own. For every year that you work after that, you get another 6 months benefits credit. It wouldn't solve the problem of people out to sponge off the system, but would reduce the burden on the tax payer and some of these folk might actually decide they like working once they have tried it! 

A nice idea, BUT, how would you remove the spongers from the system?

There are families who have never worked and don't intend to start now.

There are young girls who were born to extremely young unmarried mothers and yes you've guessed it, they will become pregnant far too early in their lives.

Britain is broken, many of the values that the older generation had are long gone.

These used to be called "Christian" values, we are no longer a religious Christian Anglican Country, quite how the church survives on such a small membership is beyond me.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A nice idea, BUT, how would you remove the spongers from the system?

There are families who have never worked and don't intend to start now.

There are young girls who were born to extremely young unmarried mothers and yes you've guessed it, they will become pregnant far too early in their lives.

Britain is broken, many of the values that the older generation had are long gone.

These used to be called "Christian" values, we are no longer a religious Christian Anglican Country, quite how the church survives on such a small membership is beyond me.

might be something to-do with the 105,000 acres of land they own, their total portfolio is said to exceed £8.7 billion which generates approximately £1 billion a year in income, on top of that they receive approximately £329 million a year in donations.

On 27/11/2022 at 10:29, Mungler said:

The Daily Mail will always find these useless sponging loafers because it’s cat nip to their readers, but these are still minority cases. 

I picked that particular story because I found it mildly amusing, its around 8 years old , and Im sure I could find plenty more.
However , a minority ? Maybe it says something about the company I keep, but I personally know at least a dozen people just like her, fat career spongers, who are breeding fat career spongers.
They 'struggle' to feed their families, yet dont seem to struggle keeping Just Eat and Deliveroo in business ?
The mentality of it is mind boggling, the economics of how its allowed to happen , a national disgrace.

Basic tenants:

1. No one on benefits should do better than anyone in full time employment 

2. if you refuse more than 3 jobs on offer which you are capable of performing then you lose your benefits (I think Italy have implemented this). Indeed, just pause for one moment and let that sink in - we’re taking lessons from the Italians.

Excellent ideas , theres only a couple of issues.
Those same human rights lawyers who have no issue getting asylum claims and right to remain permits pushed through on people they know dont deserve them, will no doubt be taking on extra staff to deal with the 'human rights abuses' that 'forcing' people to work will entail.
The second one is that these people vote, and you take their freedom to laze around all day at the taxpayers expense from them , and you just know there will be a labour party manifesto to cater for their needs.
And thats where we are Im afraid.

There is a wider economic issue too - if we have people capable of cleaning for example (being a category of job that will always need doing but no one seems to want to do), rather than import eager immigrants to perform these roles, let’s get a few claimants off the sofa and doing the jobs no one wants to do but which always need doing. 

Great idea again , makes perfect sense , yet for the reasons above , hasnt happened yet , and probably wont , while governments fear the wrath of the cant work wont work brigade.

On 26/11/2022 at 08:04, Walker570 said:

Do you ever have time to go shooting with all this research you do Henry ? Get a lofe.

I know you are old but that was a poor sidestep. Either you are eating like sparrows, making things up or remembering things like details are becoming a problem for you.

Edited by henry d

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Since you started it.

...how would you remove the spongers from the system?

Christian?

There are young girls who were born to extremely young unmarried mothers...

Apart from the obvious stupidity, how about Mary mother of Jesus?

..."Christian" values...

Come on give us some values worthy of being called Christian. 

There is a wider economic issue too - if we have people capable of cleaning for example (being a category of job that will always need doing but no one seems to want to do), rather than import eager immigrants to perform these roles, let’s get a few claimants off the sofa and doing the jobs no one wants to do but which always need doing. 

There are a few that need to let that sink in too!

Edited by henry d

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Heh up!! we've wound him up again!

now go and stand in the corner for being old. :smartass:

And by the way you can get a silverside beef roasting joint from Lidl around 0.6kg for £5-£6, all you got wrong was the name of the cut and thats cus your old and deaf. :lol:

I think people would be surprised how many people still attend churches. There are 4 in the small town I live in and are all pretty well attended 3 of which have thriving youth programs/organisations which I'm also part of in a leadership role. Some churches with youth and outreach programs do a hell of a lot of good in their communities 

Church aside i agree there are quite a lot of serial spongers in society that need gripping. One of them lives up the street from me, I've known him for years, next to damn all wrong with him and somehow he qualifies for disability living allowance, he's in his 50s and hasn't worked a day in his life, yet has a car, social housing for free and top of the line benefits package. It is sickening.

I've been bleating on forever that one of the big problems with people "can't afford to eat" is they don't know how to cook. Schools have fallen down here where they moved away from teaching people to properly cook family meals and learn to budget in home economics classes, to teaching them a class that is purely aimed to pass an exam and get a good grade so the school looks good in their yearly figures. No real substance to the learning. Hence a lot of these kids don't know what do do other than yap for money to go to the chippy or mcdonalds

if you refuse more than 3 jobs on offer which you are capable of performing then you lose your benefits (I think Italy have implemented this). Indeed, just pause for one moment and let that sink in - we’re taking lessons from the Italians.

Yes, but their new PM appears to have a metaphorical pair. 

Just ground up the remnants from a superb half shoulder of lamb reared by my naighbour.  Some delicious gravy poured over it, made from the drippings from roasting it yesterday, a shake of Tony's spice mixture and a layer of mashed potato.  Then a few carrots grown in our small veg patch 8mtrs by 1.5mtrs and an apple crumble made with over ripe bramley fallings and people say they can't afford a good meal

From AOL

"The proportion of people in England and Wales identifying as Christian has fallen below 50% for the first time, according to census data.

Some 46.2% of the population described themselves as Christian on the day of the 2021 census, down from 59.3% a decade earlier, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

This is the first time the proportion has dropped below half.

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

From AOL

"The proportion of people in England and Wales identifying as Christian has fallen below 50% for the first time, according to census data.

Some 46.2% of the population described themselves as Christian on the day of the 2021 census, down from 59.3% a decade earlier, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

This is the first time the proportion has dropped below half.

Maybe that's why they can't afford to eat? 

Interesting debate on radio 5l this morning on this subject raising the question as to if it's still appropriate to have Bishops in the house of lords as a right and if that then unfairly skews decision making. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Maybe that's why they can't afford to eat? 

Interesting debate on radio 5l this morning on this subject raising the question as to if it's still appropriate to have Bishops in the house of lords as a right and if that then unfairly skews decision making. 

1. Not sure why their chosen religion would stop them being able to afford to eat?

2. I have long felt the "Clergy" should be removed from the HoL.

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

I wasn’t even aware that was a ‘thing’! 
How can it possibly be appropriate! How can we possibly progress when there are people still applying caveman superstition to 21st century problems? 

33 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No, Henry D. as usual went down the religion line.

something onthe news today.........Londoners................only 36% discribe themselves as English now....most are polish then Romanianiums..........demographics are changing very quickly now...tipping point has been reached

41 minutes ago, Scully said:

I wasn’t even aware that was a ‘thing’! 

Me neither !

42 minutes ago, Scully said:

How can it possibly be appropriate! How can we possibly progress when there are people still applying caveman superstition to 21st century problems? 

Spot on :good:

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

something onthe news today.........Londoners................only 36% discribe themselves as English now....most are polish then Romanianiums..........demographics are changing very quickly now...tipping point has been reached

Birth rate has a lot to do with it.
Leicester was the first city in the UK to have a more than 50 % non white population , this was 5 years ago.
Today , its been recorded at 60 %.

Back on topic. 

Charlie Munger (no relation 😉) makes the point, and having seen real poverty in his early years, that modern day expectations and discontent are founded in envy ie you think you should have more, because others around you have more than you. 

It’s a short clip. The interesting bit for me was when he said that when he was younger and walking around the poorest of neighbourhoods he felt safer than today (and notwithstanding that today we’re all plenty better off comparatively including the poor). 

10 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Back on topic. 

Charlie Munger (no relation 😉) makes the point, and having seen real poverty in his early years, that modern day expectations and discontent are founded in envy ie you think you should have more, because others around you have more than you. 

It’s a short clip. The interesting bit for me was when he said that when he was younger and walking around the poorest of neighbourhoods he felt safer than today (and notwithstanding that today we’re all plenty better off comparatively including the poor). 

Correct 👍👍👍👍👍👍

I can agree with some of that but the gap between the haves and the have not is now huge. Whilst possibly the majority of people were in relative poverty in the past now the distribution of wealth is very different. The gap between rich and poor has never been greater.