People can't afford to eat...............

Walker570

I keep reading how folks just cannot afford to eat. My wife purchased a small piece of sirloin from Aldi for less than a fiver. We roasted it and had two meals, it was delicious. There was some left over so last night we had some chips and an egg and some more of the beef sliced cold...Ohhhh these is still some left over so this evening we are having a beef curry poured over a large jacket potato and then two huge Bramleys  baked/stuffed with sultanas, butter and honey.   WHAT are they doing wrong?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many moons ago when part of a young family and money was very tight I was incredibly grateful that my interest in cooking had been encouraged by my nan and along with books like 'A paupers cookbook' by Jocasta Innes I was always able to put plenty of good grub on the table.

I guess that means that a lot has to do with education and upbringing. I do not know if they even teach home economics or the equivalent in schools these days - I would be unsurprised to learn that it is now regarded as sexist and non PC.

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i learnt to cook at"home economics" at school and by watching my mum and my gran cook....and my black houseboys in africa  (am i allowed to mention slaves on here ?)

same here not much of what we cooked made it home mind,  may I suggest you don't talk about your African domestic help in a cockney accent !

59 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Same here but not the African bit.  My granny used to say " Waste not Want not" 

i used to say ...." Abdu......cu ju happa sa sa....chucula quoi me-me   "....and he used to say ..."deo bwana macube..."......

and if by magic......food used to appear.....:lol:

32 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

In general, using gas or electricity as that costs more than food. This is why folk are looking at more economical cooking measures rather than cheaper food. 

Unfortunately there are those who simply can't afford fuel.

BUT I see them wobbling down the High Street covered in expensive tattoos and hanging out around the bookies, come off it. You just cut your cloth.

obviously a lot of it is just not having enough money and trust me there are a lot of people that are poor just look at the rents some landlords are charging  in london (or most places now)  but also food education comes into play most people nowdays just do not know what and how to cook   if it doesnt come in a macdonalds wrapper they are stuffed  they should teach kids at school how to look after themselves cookery wise   that will set them up for life  i had a very poor education and an awfull upbringing but learned to feed myself young and have never looked back 

i do see your point about a lot of people saying they can not afford to eat when they are smoking outside the pub etc though  walker570    education education and education

The problem today is people are lazy and can't be ***** to Learn or put effort into doing anything, a microwave is a better option for most, I picked up a whole deer and prepped it and will last ages plus my family will benefit from it, a little creativity goes along way that and effort 👍👍

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

When my kids where younger a deer and a bag of potatoes lasted a month LOL 

We used to parboil a rabbit strip the flesh off the bones roll it in breadcrumbs fry it and tell the kids it was chicken  

mum used to ell me when she was in the WRAF  during the ww2 they used to serve up chicken pie which was rabbit.....she was on radar at neatishead...it was a smallish NAFI and was supplied with country meat by a couple of keepers...

Just now, sam triple said:

Just picked up a whole Fallow butchered for £60 will last for weeks ok I know the bloke but there’s food out there if people want to look for it 

I get eggs and sausages for a year for the a couple deer and some log cutting plus a lamb or two that wont make the grade for the price of a few beers, so yes food is out there for little or no money but we are lucky we can turn a live deer, lamb, rabbit etc in to dinner most can't or won't

33 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

BUT I see them wobbling down the High Street covered in expensive tattoos and hanging out around the bookies, come off it. You just cut your cloth.

true story..............

i had this girlfriend once and was lucky enough to do a sleepover at her house...(her parents were american and very open minded)....her parents had left to go to work and she cooked breakfast for me...and she cooked me milts on toast (which i love)    ...i said to her ..."well you do like your sperm then ".....she gave me a quizzicle look (she was a bit thick  ...my ideal girl)....and said waddya mean................i told she had just eaten a plateful of sperm on toast............then was a brief flurry of activity and she threw up in the sink...............she thought they were cod roes

funny that .............she didnt do that during the night..

46 minutes ago, bluesj said:

i think a lot of us on here are of an age and background that had home grown veg,rabbit and the odd brace of pheasant so at least part of the weeks meals never came from a shop and carry on in the same vain

Hello, your right, started shooting at 15 for the families meals, rabbit, pigeon, pheasant, and occasionally a pike, mum did not have much money for groceries, but that's another story

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

34 minutes ago, ditchman said:

true story..............

i had this girlfriend once and was lucky enough to do a sleepover at her house...(her parents were american and very open minded)....her parents had left to go to work and she cooked breakfast for me...and she cooked me milts on toast (which i love)    ...i said to her ..."well you do like your sperm then ".....she gave me a quizzicle look (she was a bit thick  ...my ideal girl)....and said waddya mean................i told she had just eaten a plateful of sperm on toast............then was a brief flurry of activity and she threw up in the sink...............she thought they were cod roes

funny that .............she didnt do that during the night..

🤣🤣

Mince beef from aldi 1kg minced beef spaghetti bolognaise last night and will be lasagna tomorrow night for 4 just about adult portions and somethimes the spaniel gets lucky ( but we are usually arguing over the last bits ).

costs very little for healthy food. Learnt the basics of cooking at school and kept learning -  learned a lot in scouts where our leaders would present us with hung rabbits and pheasant and expect a dinner from them - they watched over to check we weren’t going to kill anyone but learned to gut skin pluck - stew or spit roast served with a few spuds and veg and steamed treacle pudding to finish.

Agriv8

12 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

learned a lot in scouts where our leaders would present us with hung rabbits and pheasant and expect a dinner from them - they watched over to check we weren’t going to kill anyone but learned to gut skin pluck - stew or spit roast served with a few spuds and veg and steamed treacle pudding to finish.

Agriv8

I have an ex-scout friend who appreciates a rabbit if I give him a prepped one. But he passed out when I tried to teach him how to skin one himself.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Top answer Walker570. Tattoos, mobile phones, TV subscriptions, eye lash extension, scratch cards / etc are all unnecessary items and most who plead poverty have these.

BUT some are genuinely in dire need of help.  

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I have an ex-scout friend who appreciates a rabbit if I give him a prepped one. But he passed out when I tried to teach him how to skin one himself.

Odd isn’t it absolutely fine with blood and guts from animal and humans alike been in some instances in a fist aid situation where there has been lots and kept a clear head . Yet sight of quantities of my own blood sends me very light headed ( maybe it the Yorkshire man in me giving something away for nowt )

Not prepared a rabbit in years as we don’t shoot them on our syndicate and they’re very thin on the ground round here so I don’t shoot them around the farm I do pest control 

Agriv8 

Edited by Agriv8

32 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Odd isn’t it absolutely fine with blood and guts from animal and humans alike been in some instances in a fist aid situation where there has been lots and kept a clear head . Yet sight of quantities of my own blood sends me very light headed ( maybe it the Yorkshire man in me giving something away for nowt )

Not prepared a rabbit in years as we don’t shoot them on our syndicate and they’re very thin on the ground round here so I don’t shoot them around the farm I do pest control 

Agriv8 

my taste has changed over the years....used to love a casseroled rabbit ...or young friers...rolled in flour and herbs and gently fried in butter...........but now my taste has changed and if i smell rabbit in any shape or form raw or cooked it makes me feel on the verge of throwing up......yet i used to love it at one time....

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I keep reading how folks just cannot afford to eat. My wife purchased a small piece of sirloin from Aldi for less than a fiver. We roasted it and had two meals, it was delicious. There was some left over so last night we had some chips and an egg and some more of the beef sliced cold...Ohhhh these is still some left over so this evening we are having a beef curry poured over a large jacket potato and then two huge Bramleys  baked/stuffed with sultanas, butter and honey.   WHAT are they doing wrong?

Aldi’s sirloin steak in the packets are around 225g (roughly 8oz). 

You got 6 meals out of one single sirloin steak?

Works out about 37g of steak per meal. That’s like 1-2 mouthfuls 😬🤔

What are people doing wrong? … 🤷‍♂️

2661B147-A2DC-4CB8-BA7C-528B37F91AD6.png