Electric vehicle Fires

Yellow Bear

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Where? Daughter on her way back from jn 30 soon

It would appear to be between the off and on slips at J28 southbound.   SWMBO and Daughter are stuck just south of Tibshelf services and have moved about 1.5 miles in the last 90 minutes.  so much for 30 minute delays quoted.

9 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

It would appear to be between the off and on slips at J28 southbound.   SWMBO and Daughter are stuck just south of Tibshelf services and have moved about 1.5 miles in the last 90 minutes.  so much for 30 minute delays quoted.

So much for electric cars being the future. What a crock of defecate.

My uncle is a retired firefighter and he was talking to a firefighter from Germany and according to him if you are in an electric car that bursts into flames in Germany they won't even attempt to get to you as the fires are too violent to risk the safety of the firefighters. Fore the foreseeable ill be taking my chances in a diesel

2 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Corrected myself- 30000 gallons and 4 hours to extinguish one electrical car - lithium is a class b fire and has to be cooled to sub ignition temperature and can't be starved out like a normal car fire. 

A Wunder what happens to all that contaminated water in its attempt to put fire out 😬

5 minutes ago, discobob said:

I believe there are some fire services around the world whose reaction to any damaged EV is to dump the vehicle in water and leave it there

It is a bit like they do with car crashes with the passenger still in the car - roof off

What?...dump the vehicle in water and leave it there?

19 minutes ago, old'un said:

What?...dump the vehicle in water and leave it there?

there was an interview with a uk fire chief officer and he said the only way to control these fires was the fire service had to carry around a container big enough for a car to be immersed in it.........yeah that is likely to happen...the interview also showed a team of firefighters dealing with a electric car fire.........what a task that is...

17 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Yep Lithium batteries of all kinds causing many fires, car fires are a total nightmare to try and put out.  A ferry full of top of the range cars sunk a while back due to a battery fire.  Not sure how they get insurance for marine shipping.

I have wondered about ev's on our island ferries, if this proves yo be problem then a ban would be in order

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I bet a lot were company cars with Tax incentives.  SH values are coming down now people have realised the cost of changing batteries, charging practicality or a lack of for many, the cost to charge and the fire risks. 

Tax incentives account for most new cars. SH values have all dropped post covid supply issues. Batteries are lasting much longer than predicted, particularly those with cooling.

Any evidence that EV's are more prone to fires than petrol cars? 

5 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

No evidence that I can find other than the fact that all lithium batteries are sent with a warning on the packaging. 

They are, however, almost impossible to extinguish once fire has started.

I am just looking at upgrading my boat house batteries to Lithium and charging needs to be controlled as they can draw more than the 80 amps that the alternator can provide. If the charge is not moderated they melt the alternator. 

Electric cars are the perfect example of climate change over exaggeration and misinformation morphing into media frenzy that then drives government policy making. just as with the diesel fiasco of 2006-20011, the public is lulled into believing that electric vehicles are a Good Thing.

If your driving pattern is lots of short runs and you have off road parking and your own charging port (well away from the house in case of a fire) then great, go for it. But if you have a normal driving pattern, then good luck finding one of the fast charging points that's actually working and available and be sure to allow plenty of extra time for the longer journeys as well of plenty of cash if you run out of charge and need a taxi.

Or you could just buy a proper vehicle...

2 hours ago, Westward said:

Electric cars are the perfect example of climate change over exaggeration and misinformation morphing into media frenzy that then drives government policy making. just as with the diesel fiasco of 2006-20011, the public is lulled into believing that electric vehicles are a Good Thing.

If your driving pattern is lots of short runs and you have off road parking and your own charging port (well away from the house in case of a fire) then great, go for it. But if you have a normal driving pattern, then good luck finding one of the fast charging points that's actually working and available and be sure to allow plenty of extra time for the longer journeys as well of plenty of cash if you run out of charge and need a taxi.

Or you could just buy a proper vehicle...

The average daily journey for a car is less than 24 miles. Most people can install a charging port and there is funding support to help with this. Most will never need to use an external charging point. 

The first cars were battery electric we are going full circle.