Your most desirable shotgun would be?

mgsontour

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would go for an AYA no1. Although the more modern steel-proofed SBS offerings look very tempting too. 

My grade 1 game B525 is a keeper for clays and occasional game outings, but my heart says SBS, straight stock, double triggers. 

After all, a SBS has the barrels the same way round as my eyes. 

8 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

Although the more modern steel-proofed SBS offerings look very tempting too.

I believe the current No 1 comes (or at least can come if requested) with "Fleur de Lis" proof.  There was a test recently in "The Field" of some No 2's which were FdL proofed.  It mentioned also a longer forcing cone to suit steel.

6 hours ago, Gunman said:

So 30 plus minutes to talk about an old restocked Webley , thats Birmingham , not London made , signed and sold  as by Evans .Dont know who this guy is but he seems a bit short on gunmaking knowledge . 

I've seen the Webley registers, the originals in fact, maybe now twenty years ago. They are plenty, plenty, of Webley guns that were made for William Evans before WWII. Even in the comments section a pair noted as "Seventh grade, engraved and finished as First". Webley made a lot of the guns that Evans sold as William Evans guns back in the day. Unlike Henry Atkin (who was) and Frederick Beesley, William Evans was I always was given to understand neither a gunmaker nor gunsmith. He was an ex-Purdey salesman.

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I believe the current No 1 comes (or at least can come if requested) with "Fleur de Lis" proof.  There was a test recently in "The Field" of some No 2's which were FdL proofed.  It mentioned also a longer forcing cone to suit steel.

Thanks John I shall continue to dream!

I'm using my Dad's Beretta 626 at the moment, single trigger pistol grip. It's a lovely gun and obviously an heirloom type thing to be passed on to my son. 

On 06/01/2023 at 08:55, Gunman said:

So 30 plus minutes to talk about an old restocked Webley , thats Birmingham , not London made , signed and sold  as by Evans .Dont know who this guy is but he seems a bit short on gunmaking knowledge . 

I pointed out your observations to Ian, the guns owner, who does not use Pigeon Watch. He asks me to tell you that he was well aware of the provenence of the barrelled action, but his understanding of the complex interaction between Birmingham and London meant that he had no qualms about the quality of the workmanship of the overall finished gun and was happy to pay for it.

So game

would be a beretta sidelock 486 in 12 bore ! Stock adjusted to my measurement 

Clay buster 

blazer f16 grande lux with 30 and 32 barrel grade 6 wood 15 inch stock length adjustable Combe ! Full set of extended teaque titanium chokes !

regards Agriv8 

oh and enough red cartridges to see me out !

On 05/01/2023 at 08:10, Cosmicblue said:

A Perazzi DC12 - https://www.perazzi.it/en/dc12.php    A SbS Perazzi -  I've never physically seen one...would be great to have one in the cabinet though.

@cosmicblue
Agree, they have one at The Royal Berkshire Shooting School, Purdey now I believe.

Edited by FreshFace

15 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

So game

would be a beretta sidelock 486 in 12 bore ! Stock adjusted to my measurement 

Clay buster 

blazer f16 grande lux with 30 and 32 barrel grade 6 wood 15 inch stock length adjustable Combe ! Full set of extended teaque titanium chokes !

regards Agriv8 

oh and enough red cartridges to see me out !

WOW! Missing with great style!

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

WOW! Missing with great style!

Oh yes I can do that easy enough - or my favourite “all the gear with no idea.”

to be fair going through a rough patch with my clay buster but usually do this time of year as shooting on our small syndicate so started shooting’s clays with my 40 year old beretta 686 game gun - only a couple of my normal score so ready for end of season tidy ups !

Agriv8

1 hour ago, London Best said:

You do realise it’s almost obligatory to have a double-barrelled hyphenated name? 
I think Cholmondley-Smythe has a nice ring to it, don’t you, Carruthers?

The  Woodward shown in my sign in was bought as 1 of 3 by Charles Napier Sturt in 1882, likely as a 50th birthday present to himself,  the poor sod died in 1886

I do like using it

On 05/01/2023 at 13:22, mudpatten said:

I covet this! I know I`m not supposed to covet, but I do!

Ooo, that's nice.

On 08/01/2023 at 11:42, mudpatten said:

I pointed out your observations to Ian, the guns owner, who does not use Pigeon Watch. He asks me to tell you that he was well aware of the provenence of the barrelled action, but his understanding of the complex interaction between Birmingham and London meant that he had no qualms about the quality of the workmanship of the overall finished gun and was happy to pay for it.

And you can see why.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

Nice weight for a shotgun.

The 12’s are stupid heavy.

I agree ,if doing a great deal of walking 8lb would be too much for me and would probably detract from the day’s enjoyment.

A fitted McKay-Brown would be my ideal gun, a side by side in 12 bore for all my game/walked up shooting. 

41 minutes ago, London Best said:

The 12’s are stupid heavy.

I just looked and the SO10 12's are rather over 8 lbs. (30" barrels).  My SO6 (which I now find too heavy for me) has 30" barrels and actually weighs just an ounce under 8 lbs, so the SO10 will be slightly heavier still.

45 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I just looked and the SO10 12's are rather over 8 lbs. (30" barrels).  My SO6 (which I now find too heavy for me) has 30" barrels and actually weighs just an ounce under 8 lbs, so the SO10 will be slightly heavier still.

Have it with deep engraving and it’ll be the same weight 🤔😊