Shufti

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 19/01/2023 at 15:30, Pushandpull said:

Goshawks are to be found in numbers in East Anglia if you know where to look. Poking through the accounts, it seems they were all young birds so were possibly shot adjacent to one or more nest sites, or possibly at a communal roost, rather than on five separate occasions. DNA checks might show if some or all are related.

It may be tempting to blame "antis" but get real : this was done by someone with time, skills, and unfettered access to wherever the crime took place. Dumping the bodies was surely an act of defiance to the world I suppose, by a perpetrator with some sort of metal health issues ?  Hard to understand any of this.

Agree.  Unfortunately there are still criminal elements within the Keepering fratenity who will break the law and eventually lose all of us our right to go shooting.

23 hours ago, old'un said:

Good post by Conor O'Gorman (BASC) some very good points raised.

Why would someone shoot five goshawks and then bring them to an area that looks very well used by the public and dump them in the car park?

Don't know the woodland but looking on Google maps I would think its well walked by the public, does anyone know if any part of the woodland is used for shooting?

I read that the birds were in a plastic bag but the photo shows them scattered on the woodland floor, I presume by the police or who ever found them, so any possible DNA as now been contaminated.

This stinks to high heaven of a setup.

goshawk.jpg

No signs of any blood on any of them (from this picture anyway) so may indicate they we actually shot AFTER death ???

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

Maybe someone can enlighten us on the article in this weeks Shooting Times , I was glancing through it in Tesco's today and they mentioned a 64 year old game keeper who had the banned Cymag poison on his premises and I believe some dead birds of prey .

A link here:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/about-the-rspb/about-us/media-centre/press-releases/gamekeeper-pleads-guilty-after-illegally-killed-raptors-and-poisons-found-on-dorset-estate/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/01/2023 at 13:21, marsh man said:

These things happen and there might be more to the story than meets the eye , but we cannot get away from the fact that these birds were shot , each case brought to light you think this will be the last , but it isn't and for everyone caught there are no doubt many more who are not .

Only in the E D P today it is reported that the police seized 100s if 1000s of bird eggs with many of the birds on the danger list , this strangely enough was also in Suffolk 

In Norfolk once saw a private collection which if acquired today was such that it  would need three generations to complete the awarded prison sentence. The collector was a member of the one profession which was renowned for its members having this as a hobby. Any guesses which?

According to the news item a ticket holder, but the question is, who in their right mind would enter what looks like some sort of woodland park and start shooting and then to top that he shoots five goshawks and then leaves the evidence in what looks like a fairly busy parking area.

Something does not add up here, he’s either lost the plot or he’s not been in communication with the outside world for the last 50 years.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

According to the news item a ticket holder, but the question is, who in their right mind would enter what looks like some sort of woodland park and start shooting and then to top that he shoots five goshawks and then leaves the evidence in what looks like a fairly busy parking area.

Something does not add up here, he’s either lost the plot or he’s not been in communication with the outside world for the last 50 years.

Maybe a mental health issue.

WHY not use this statement its been used before to explain more serious events.

14 minutes ago, scutt said:

Yes agreed .  

In fact for someone who has SCG/FAC it is quite a hard one to play. 

This person presumably has current (or at least recent) SGC and/or FAC.  Therefore (in theory) the police/his Dr. accepts he has no (significant to holding firearms) mental health problems.  IF he (or his lawyer on his behalf) claims mental health issues ........ we are once again on the troublesome debate over issue and renewal of SGC/FAC licenses.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

In fact for someone who has SCG/FAC it is quite a hard one to play. 

This person presumably has current (or at least recent) SGC and/or FAC.  Therefore (in theory) the police/his Dr. accepts he has no (significant to holding firearms) mental health problems.  IF he (or his lawyer on his behalf) claims mental health issues ........ we are once again on the troublesome debate over issue and renewal of SGC/FAC licenses.

It does beg the question about this guy, how many people do you know that would even think about shooting in such an area that is obviously used by a lot of people, its even got a caravan and camp site.

Anyone know the area and if this woodland is some sort of reserve.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

In Norfolk once saw a private collection which if acquired today was such that it  would need three generations to complete the awarded prison sentence. The collector was a member of the one profession which was renowned for its members having this as a hobby. Any guesses which?

I think I can remember the case , egg collecting was once ( maybe still is ) a hobby for many people and those at the top of the ladder would often go through great lengths to get the egg or clutch they wanted , not being satisfied with one egg they would often remove the whole lot , not being able to display there collection I could never make out why they risked a prison sentence if or when they got caught :hmm:

10 minutes ago, scutt said:

Mental issue may be a fact not an excuse. 

Ok, lets say this guy is a full stack and a ticket holder and knows the law regarding the shooting of BOP (well he should do), so he parks up in the public car park gets is gun out and walks about this wood shooting goshawks, then on return to his car he dumps what he's shot in the car park, what!!!

as I say, I don't know this wood but reading about it, it seems like a very well used wood.

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

I think I can remember the case , egg collecting was once ( maybe still is ) a hobby for many people and those at the top of the ladder would often go through great lengths to get the egg or clutch they wanted , not being satisfied with one egg they would often remove the whole lot , not being able to display there collection I could never make out why they risked a prison sentence if or when they got caught :hmm:

There was no case. I would imagine that the collection was made prior to any legislation that would have made it illegal. The profession was the clergy. Back along the Diocese of Norwich was building new (smaller) vicarages in the grounds of existing (larger) ones and then moving the vicar into the smaller and selling off the larger. My company was involved in the building work and I was on a site visit.

Nice place on edge of brackland. Very few gos nest though. Because open access wood/land and very busy popular area. Not the place you could wander with a gun. Doubt they were killed "shot" there or at same time. Plenty of folk have never see one there. Odd all 5 are young birds looking freezer fresh. What are the chances of that? Found in winter  showing no signs of predation or disturbance? Not been there long or even over night? Many have said set up/dumped. Who actually found them reported it? Be interesting to see how this develops. Hope we get to see/hear all info forensics, when/how shot, stomach contents, been frozen etc. Had they been shot pre/post mortem? Had any gos fledged 5 near by? A lot for one successful brood?. . . . . Surprised RPUK not picked up on it again yet. But Tingay to busy with latest hate campaign/propaganda towards us/ fieldsports to try and protect (victim playing) Packham. Getting gullible public to part with money for the Feildsports/ Packham 3 court cases fund raiser she has set up. Get ya popcorn in for May folks. Donate to the 3 if you can. The truth will out!    NB     

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

There was no case. I would imagine that the collection was made prior to any legislation that would have made it illegal. The profession was the clergy. Back along the Diocese of Norwich was building new (smaller) vicarages in the grounds of existing (larger) ones and then moving the vicar into the smaller and selling off the larger. My company was involved in the building work and I was on a site visit.

The one I was thinking about did have a case and was jailed for 18 weeks , Daniel lingham was 65 who lived in Norfolk and was a compulsive collector of bird eggs , he was only caught when a member of the public spotted him on Cawston Heath dressed from head to toe in camo gear , when the police searched him he had nine Linnet eggs , when they searched his house they found 5,257 eggs from many endangered species , this was in 2018 and in 2005 he was also convicted of a similar offence when they found 3000 eggs in his home , for that offence he got 10 weeks prison sentence , maybe now he have learnt his lesson .