bird flu in mammals

islandgun

Any example of a non mammalian virus crossing to mammals is a cause for concern.

How big a concern is yet to be seen. As we have seen in the recent past, never underestimate a virus.

It's been detected in foxes and otters, what they haven't said is what effect it had on them. 

Edited by Vince Green

5 hours ago, millrace said:

Yet more medical scaremongering.....covid has given all these headline grabbing stories prominence.....the great what "if"

Should they just ignore it then, or keep a eye on it :hmm:any reports i have seen are not scaremongering just saying it as it is, even if some people don't want to hear it.  

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Any example of a non mammalian virus crossing to mammals is a cause for concern.

How big a concern is yet to be seen. As we have seen in the recent past, never underestimate a virus.

It's been detected in foxes and otters, what they haven't said is what effect it had on them. 

I think they are testing dead foxes and otters.

There was a bit in todays E D P about Fox's and Badgers now getting the bird flu , it also warned dog walkers ect , not to touch any dead bird found , I know the season have just finished but I wander how many people will be put off eating game with all this bird flu constantly in the news ? , it is already rock bottom and these sort of scares could put the final nail in the coffin in trying to off load any game , Pigeons and Venison , what next will game shoots have to contend with ?

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

There was a bit in todays E D P about Fox's and Badgers now getting the bird flu , it also warned dog walkers ect , not to touch any dead bird found , I know the season have just finished but I wander how many people will be put off eating game with all this bird flu constantly in the news ? , it is already rock bottom and these sort of scares could put the final nail in the coffin in trying to off load any game , Pigeons and Venison , what next will game shoots have to contend with ?

Not sure how this bird flu will effect the catching-up of game birds and the subsequent egg, chick and poult production, as once birds are caught-up they become livestock, will game farms have to follow the same rules as anyone else who keeps poultry?

7 minutes ago, old'un said:

Not sure how this bird flu will effect the catching-up of game birds and the subsequent egg, chick and poult production, as once birds are caught-up they become livestock, will game farms have to follow the same rules as anyone else who keeps poultry?

I think there will be some worrying times to come , in the farming section of todays paper they were saying the egg producers can no longer call there eggs free range as the birds have been locked up to long , they will now be called Barn Eggs , also the dealer who come after our game had said he had noticed a decline in people buying oven ready game , might be he was asking to much , but could be partly the bird flu they keep talking about most days of the week :hmm:

56 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, our countryside is under threat from all sides , farming, shooting, fishing, including all wildlife, many rivers are dead with pollution like the Windrush, the Thames is getting that way, , it's no wonder those that enjoy the countryside are in despair , 🤔

Absolutely true.

As usual every advantage will be taken by those wishing to remove our ways?

5 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

i got a message last week from natural England about my cormorant/gooseander license wanting to reduce the amount of birds on my license, 

Hello, that's interesting, do you think this will become a trend with NE, if you know of farmoor water it is inundated with cormorants and that supplies our drinking water 🤔