Do you trust BASC

BlaserF3

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most if not all believed the shot broke the clay as well as - if not better than lead.

I have real difficulty with this. Just how were the steel shells better than lead? Did shooters take the same target with lead and then steel, for an accurate (ish) comparison? 

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I have real difficulty with this. Just how were the steel shells better than lead? Did shooters take the same target with lead and then steel, for an accurate (ish) comparison? 

A couple of the lads did

But no, mostly it was a separate couple of traps set up behind our simulated game day 

I suppose all i can say is the clay broke - result ?

Our most experienced clay shooter - has all the gear and in fairness some idea Beretta DT 11 etc etc - proper shooting glasses - vest etc etc etc - bag for his cartridges etc etc was really impressed 

If you have an issue with this why not ask BASC where their next day is to try it or even if they will come out for the morning with yourself and a few of your companions ?

@Conor O'Gorman

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

A couple of the lads did

But no, mostly it was a separate couple of traps set up behind our simulated game day 

Our most experienced clay shooter - has all the gear and in fairness some idea Beretta DT 11 etc etc - proper shooting glasses - vest etc etc etc - bag for his cartridges etc etc was really impressed 

If you have an issue with this why not ask BASC where their next day is to try it or even if they will come out for the morning with yourself and a few of your companions ?

@Conor O'Gorman

Thanks @jall25

@Gordon R if you would like to join a BASC event to try out a range of steel cartridges and talk to BASC staff and ammo reps have a look here for 'sustainable ammunition' events:

https://events.basc.org.uk/events/

See also this video on performance of steel on a game shoot

Last but not least, if anyone reading this has not yet done so please visit the webpage below and then spend two minutes completing a survey via the webpage to say NO to proposals to restrict gamebird releasing in Wales - even if you don’t live in Wales, or even shoot there. 

https://basc.org.uk/actnow/

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

When guns from Europe come over they all use steel for clays, better penetration, better pattern, more shot, what’s not to like 😂 I moved to steel for clays ages ago as it gives you an unfair advantage!

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

A couple of the lads did

@Conor O'Gorman

Good call, all the regional BASC Facebook pages advertise their TSA days and it’s in the magazine 

25 minutes ago, harkom said:

pray,  do tell us just how much "penetration" is required to kill a clay pigeon. 

@harkom perhaps you missed the video link above. Here it is again:

Also, if I may suggest, please visit the webpage below and then spend two minutes completing a survey via the webpage to say NO to proposals to restrict gamebird releasing in Wales - even if you don’t live in Wales, or even shoot there. 

If he has a DT11, a vest, shooting glasses and a bag, who could argue? Forgive me, but that is laughable.

51 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

If he has a DT11, a vest, shooting glasses and a bag, who could argue? Forgive me, but that is laughable.

You are so negative Sir 

That's pitiful 

Why not take the positive and go and have a go and stop being - well ---- you 

Regards and good day 

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

@harkom perhaps you missed the video link above. Here it is again:

Also, if I may suggest, please visit the webpage below and then spend two minutes completing a survey via the webpage to say NO to proposals to restrict gamebird releasing in Wales - even if you don’t live in Wales, or even shoot there. 

Like Dave and what he does. But not a big fan of this vid for promoting "best practice". Watch fella over Dave's left shoulder at 14.05ish and see what you think? I think it's his loader to. This was pointed out to Dave when it was first posted.

47 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I think you mean realistic, as opposed to your simplistic rubbish. Your logic is genuinely laughable. 

Have a nice day.

He was just noting that the man was an experienced clay shot, so of the guys there he was in the best position to gauge the effectiveness of lead vs steel. You just decided to be an **** about it and insult him for no reason.

6 hours ago, Genghis said:

He was just noting that the man was an experienced clay shot, so of the guys there he was in the best position to gauge the effectiveness of lead vs steel. You just decided to be an **** about it and insult him for no reason.

Many thanks Genghis - yes i was just trying to do as you say - maybe i was a bit light hearted about a serious issue 

My friend shoots clays 2 or 3 times a week - tens of thousands a year 

His opinion on whether the steel was effective - i dont think he missed one - was therefore very important to me 

As they say Gordon - a poor workman always blames his tools - this coupled with your decidedly poor attitude - well what more do i need to say.

8 hours ago, jall25 said:

You are so negative Sir 

That's pitiful 

Why not take the positive and go and have a go and stop being - well ---- you 

Regards and good day 

Sadly it’s very much what you can expect after a positive post concerning Basc ,all that seems helpful and proactive to me .And now your going to be on the receiving and get accused of being rude and insulting ! 
 You can see why less people bother to post can’t you. 

Edited by holloway

1 minute ago, holloway said:

Sadly it’s very much what you can expect after a positive post concerning Basc ,all that seems helpful and proactive to me .

Yes Holloway - its sad really

If people just engaged more - im a big believer in people can move mountains

I noticed in the film  reason for not using lead pellets was for commercial reasons, the sale of game. It’s the same with pigeon shooters not using lead pellets, the sale of the pigeons. Lead hasn’t been used for shooting  Wildfowl for over twenty years, for environmental reasons. 
  Have NRW said anything about the proposed regulations for the release of game birds, would this include mallard. A license was required to kill  game, do they propose a license to release game. 

12 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

say NO to proposals to restrict gamebird releasing in Wales - even if you don’t live in Wales, or even shoot there. 

What???     I have never shot in Wales, nor likely to do so. I know not about the management practices or animal welfare issues on commercial shoots in Wales.

So why on earth would I lodge a protest......at  behest of BSAC employee?

13 hours ago, merseamal said:

When guns from Europe come over they all use steel for clays, better penetration, better pattern more shot, what’s not to like 😂 I moved to steel for clays ages ago as it gives you an unfair advantage!

Good call, all the regional BASC Facebook pages advertise their TSA days and it’s in the magazine 

While you answer the question asked of you regarding better penetration of clay pigeons by steel shot, could you also kindly explain how you define 'better pattern' - what does that mean? I'm somewhat confused as understanding the saying, 'pattern kills' I am aware of what is required for live quarry shooting and don't understand what makes steel shot superior for use on clays as you describe.

1 hour ago, harkom said:

What???     I have never shot in Wales, nor likely to do so. I know not about the management practices or animal welfare issues on commercial shoots in Wales.

If you're that short sighted, I'm surprised you can use a gun....

Edited by PeterHenry

18 minutes ago, clangerman said:

some short memories on here couple of pages ago basc and co were handing out troll and bashing insults to the same people they now expect support from must be a karma day! 

You’re so wrapped up in your own little world of burning resentment and self pity, you just can’t see the bigger picture can you? 

1 hour ago, harkom said:

Same goes for you. If you’re a shooter then it affects you ultimately further down the line.

Every little chip is a step closer to effecting you and your sport. Chip, chip, chip…….

10 minutes ago, clangerman said:

some short memories on here couple of pages ago basc and co were handing out troll and bashing insults to the same people they now expect support from must be a karma day! 

Don't forget, if you criticise BASC  you're an anti 😂

What I find interesting about the steel versus lead debate, is that BASC never advocated for steel on clays, it was for live 'game'? Albeit so they could pursue the game meat agenda, rather than the highly controversial practice of the big shoots, just throwing the carcass's away, using some strange excuse that no one wanted lead shot birds. 

We now seemed to have moved onto the idea that shooting clays with steel 'gives you an unfair advantage' 😂

Who would have known? 

Not only have BASC  and the other orgs who towed the line, saved shooting from lead banned extinction, they have given clay shooters a massive increase in scores, I predict the max range of targets will have to be increased, as too many shooters will be clearing these easy courses 😂

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Don't forget, if you criticise BASC  you're an anti 😂

What I find interesting about the steel versus lead debate, is that BASC never advocated for steel on clays, it was for live 'game'? Albeit so they could pursue the game meat agenda, rather than the highly controversial practice of the big shoots, just throwing the carcass's away, using some strange excuse that no one wanted lead shot birds. 

We now seemed to have moved onto the idea that shooting clays with steel 'gives you an unfair advantage' 😂

Who would have known? 

Not only have BASC  and the other orgs who towed the line, saved shooting from lead banned extinction, they have given clay shooters a massive increase in scores, I predict the max range of targets will have to be increased, as too many shooters will be clearing these easy courses 😂

All pheasant carcasses are thrown away, with the exception of those processed by the odd shooter and dealers and either eaten or sold almost entire;  just like many other game and pest species which are shot for various reasons.