cashless society

nobbyathome

51 minutes ago, discobob said:

No it isn't - it is the Government - supported by the banks - yep - as they get a nice new revenue (well improved anyway)revenue stream - almost like a tax.

Take a look at Nicaragua who have a Central Bank Digital Currency - it isn't going well over there...... And we will be different how???? Perhaps we will make completely new mistakes!!! 

How Nigeria’s Cash Pullout And Digital Pay Push Unravelled (weetracker.com)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wilts#Dave said:

That would involve some effort, but I agree wouldn’t be hard…..it would be very easy to know where to start looking! 
Personally dislike the thought of the cashless society, most of the reasons have been covered in this thread. 
Defrauding of a little bit of tax in most cases, but paying plenty….yet there are those who pay zero tax, contribute nothing and just hold their hands out (but that’s a whole different debate). 
It’s so much easier to spend and not budget for small items when it’s just a matter of tapping your phone on a screen at the till. 

That’s their problem. I’m heartily sick and tired of lazy legislation which encompasses all because of a minority. 

30 minutes ago, Scully said:

That’s their problem. I’m heartily sick and tired of lazy legislation which encompasses all because of a minority. 

You might like to rephrase that. In a democracy it is incumbent upon the majority where appropriate to care for the minority of which you sound so scornful. I think I know what you mean, but this is PW. For one reason or another I have several pensions which I've either earned or paid for and am financially afloat. However, I'm at an age where I'm getting somewhat forgetful and it's difficult to remember all expenditure and particularly when it's card based. A receipt is no damn good if you can't remember where you put it, but fortunately I can cater for the odd mistake. However, many good but elderly folk can not and deserve our protection in this instance having readies avavilable so they can easily monitor their dosh.

It's worth remembering that we're all heading in that direction.

EDIT: TC has forcefully made my point.

Edited by wymberley

31 minutes ago, wymberley said:

You might like to rephrase that. In a democracy it is incumbent upon the majority where appropriate to care for the minority of which you sound so scornful. I think I know what you mean, but this is PW. For one reason or another I have several pensions which I've either earned or paid for and am financially afloat. However, I'm at an age where I'm getting somewhat forgetful and it's difficult to remember all expenditure and particularly when it's card based. A receipt is no damn good if you can't remember where you put it, but fortunately I can cater for the odd mistake. However, many good but elderly folk can not and deserve our protection in this instance having readies avavilable so they can easily monitor their dosh.

It's worth remembering that we're all heading in that direction.

EDIT: TC has forcefully made my point.

Not really. Have you understood what I’ve said? 
Basically, If there are companies out there avoiding tax through their creative accounting with cash, then target them rather than create legislation which encompasses all. It is lazy government, and we see it all the time, throughout all aspects of society, especially as shooters and drivers where ALL legitimate people are included in resultant legislation which has a detrimental effect on all except those it was meant to combat. 

Papers are 'rumouring' that the UK is going to cut bank and building society branches from the current 5,500 branches to around 1000. 

My current local town used to have multiple banks (Barclays, Nat West, Lloyds, Midland, TSB) and several building societies including the major nationals (like Abbey National, Woolwich, Halifax, Nationwide) as well as the local Cheltenham & Gloucester.  At least 10 businesses offering 'banking'. 

Now we have two, Lloyds and TSB.  I can't vouch for TSB as I have not been in, but Lloyds seem to have a deliberate policy of long queues, only one (of a possible 4) positions open, and a slow service.

Whilst getting cash is still relatively easy - several of the machines now charge for the service and most of the 'free' ones were in the (most now closed) banks - paying cash in is not as easy.  Lloyds has a machine, and I have only used it for cheques - which it does OK, but people in the queue in front of me seemed to be having trouble with cash - and I assume it only does notes.

I have tried to have most things paid 'to me' direct to the bank, but certain things like way leaves (for electricity poles in my field) cannot yet be done that way and still can only come by cheque.  The recipient has no alternative (I contacted them and requested direct payment last year, but was told they don't do it and have no plans to).

Personally I'm happy to be largely 'cashless', but for me anyway alternatives like Apple pay have a less than 100% reliability record and the rather variable limits applied can catch you out on things like fuel.

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Papers are 'rumouring' that the UK is going to cut bank and building society branches from the current 5,500 branches to around 1000. 

My current local town used to have multiple banks (Barclays, Nat West, Lloyds, Midland, TSB) and several building societies including the major nationals (like Abbey National, Woolwich, Halifax, Nationwide) as well as the local Cheltenham & Gloucester.  At least 10 businesses offering 'banking'. 

Now we have two, Lloyds and TSB.  I can't vouch for TSB as I have not been in, but Lloyds seem to have a deliberate policy of long queues, only one (of a possible 4) positions open, and a slow service.

Whilst getting cash is still relatively easy - several of the machines now charge for the service and most of the 'free' ones were in the (most now closed) banks - paying cash in is not as easy.  Lloyds has a machine, and I have only used it for cheques - which it does OK, but people in the queue in front of me seemed to be having trouble with cash - and I assume it only does notes.

I have tried to have most things paid 'to me' direct to the bank, but certain things like way leaves (for electricity poles in my field) cannot yet be done that way and still can only come by cheque.  The recipient has no alternative (I contacted them and requested direct payment last year, but was told they don't do it and have no plans to).

Personally I'm happy to be largely 'cashless', but for me anyway alternatives like Apple pay have a less than 100% reliability record and the rather variable limits applied can catch you out on things like fuel.

Here they are all gone and I have to use the post office. In Brixham there is a multi bank outlet that deals with accounts from different banks. 

7 hours ago, Scully said:

my comment was agreeing with you, tongue in cheek ‘that would involve some effort’….and wouldn’t be difficult to  know where to start! 

11 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Lloyds has a machine, and I have only used it for cheques - which it does OK, 

The beauty of paying cheques into that machine is that they clear on the same day whereas if you pay them in over the counter for reasons known only to the banks it takes days 🤷🏻‍♂️

:shaun:

12 hours ago, amateur said:

If you have the Lloyds phone app, you can process the cheque yourself by using the app and your phone camera.

Yes, some of my family do that, but for some reason Lloyds have not been able to explain, my Lloyds account (open for over 50 years) is an obsolete type that can't be used with the phone app!

The offered a 'new' account that came with a shedload of things I didn't want - which included a monthly fee - waived under some circumstances.   Frankly struck me as a bit of a scam.

Now I am retired and don't often go near the bank branch, it is easier to pop any cheque (I typically get 2 or 3 a year) in the post to my 'on line' bank and accept paying the cost of a stamp rather than pay 10 miles worth of fuel and a couple of pounds on parking (used to be free for first 1/2 hour) to physically visit the bank.

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes, some of my family do that, but for some reason Lloyds have not been able to explain, my Lloyds account (open for over 50 years) is an obsolete type that can't be used with the phone app!

The offered a 'new' account that came with a shedload of things I didn't want - which included a monthly fee - waived under some circumstances.   Frankly struck me as a bit of a scam.

Now I am retired and don't often go near the bank branch, it is easier to pop any cheque (I typically get 2 or 3 a year) in the post to my 'on line' bank and accept paying the cost of a stamp rather than pay 10 miles worth of fuel and a couple of pounds on parking (used to be free for first 1/2 hour) to physically visit the bank.

Wot no bus pass?

image.jpeg.8467eb2252d27baec7ae9ab8c4f55f0f.jpeg

14 hours ago, amateur said:

If you have the Lloyds phone app, you can process the cheque yourself by using the app and your phone camera. 

That's what I do on the rare occasions that I get a cheque nowadays.

I do the same with Barclays; handy tool as I’m 8 miles from my nearest branch. Still has to clear though. 

On 05/04/2023 at 23:13, shaun4860 said:

The beauty of paying cheques into that machine is that they clear on the same day whereas if you pay them in over the counter for reasons known only to the banks it takes days 🤷🏻‍♂️

They don't clear the same day, they may be available for withdrawal but they can still be returned unpaid 

On 05/04/2023 at 10:40, Scully said:

Not really. Have you understood what I’ve said? 
Basically, If there are companies out there avoiding tax through their creative accounting with cash, then target them rather than create legislation which encompasses all. It is lazy government, and we see it all the time, throughout all aspects of society, especially as shooters and drivers where ALL legitimate people are included in resultant legislation which has a detrimental effect on all except those it was meant to combat. 

:good:

Aah! With you now.