Should restaurant diners have priority over takeaways?

Bobba

Last Saturday Mrs B and I went to a popular Indian restaurant for a nice evening out together. Order taken and drinks and poppadoms on the table by 7.45 pm. Fast approaching 8.30pm no sign of our food. Throughout this time there was a continuous stream of takeaway delivery riders etc and people collecting carrier bags of food. The delay was spoiling our quiet evening out together. Delivery drivers etc were being served but we were not.

I went up to the manager and very politely asked him when would we get our meal. “As you can see sir, we are very busy” at the same time he handed takeaways to two drivers. I said that 45 minutes was an unacceptable delay and asked if he felt that those who chose to visit his restaurant for a special evening out should be treated preferentially to takeaway orders. I got the stone wall “we are trying our best sir”. So I told him it was an unacceptable delay. That he had 10 mins to get my food on the table or we would leave and he could pay for the drinks and poppadoms as compensation. Surprise surprise our food was delivered, which only shows that they can prioritise orders should the choose to do so. When I asked for the bill I said do not add any service charge, as the service was dreadful, and take off 10% as compensation. He did both.

Question. Should restaurant diners have priority over takeaway? Views welcomed.

Sounds like the restaurant hasn’t got their kitchen in line. Can appreciate it, when orders come steaming through the phones and interwebs, it’s hard to keep up, but they should be operating on a first come first served basis. That’s how I see it anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Genghis said:

If you were genuinely speaking to them the way that you’re claiming then I’d say there’s about a 90% chance that they spat in your food.

Having previously worked in catering food supplies and dealt with a lot of chefs then I can say your correct!

Edited by Fargo

5 minutes ago, Genghis said:

If you were genuinely speaking to them the way that you’re claiming then I’d say there’s about a 90% chance that they spat in your food.

I have heard all sorts of stories about what extras go into the dish of customers who upset the staff….https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/7-sickening-cases-food-sabotage-4322010

Did you pre-book your table? I think the only mistake the staff made really, was not telling you when they first showed you to your table, that there could be quite a wait as they were very busy.
No, I don’t think either should be preferential; covers should be served as near as is practical, in the order they were received. 
The time to complain is when you’ve eaten your meal, not beforehand. 👍

Not sure about this one, if I was at home waiting for my takeaway I would want it ASAP. However I would expect to be served promptly if I was in the restaurant. I suggest the issue is with poor organisation, which if I were you would not frequent again

A lot of restaurants prefer takeaways as no cost except foil or plastic containers and delivery man. Saves on staff, washing, linen, cleaning etc of a sit down customer.

However what they loose is drinks profits and higher end dishes being purchased.

To answer your question :- no they should not have priority over takeaway. 

now for the opinion :- as far as I am concerned orders should be processed in the order that they come in and if the restaurant knew they where heavy on orders and you would endure a wait beyond normal operation times you should have been informed before being seated, I also believe that making a complaint due to what you perceive as lack of service is fair and just as too is removing any tip/ gratuity or service charge from the bill. but, that is where it ends “telling” a business owner or server etc what to do and what to knock off etc  as “compensation” is a disgusting way to behave and had it been me serving you you would have received your bill in it’s entirety and then been politely asked to never return. 

i am intrigued  to know why you feel you should be bumped ahead of the queue though? 

44 minutes ago, Fargo said:

A lot of restaurants prefer takeaways as no cost except foil or plastic containers and delivery man. Saves on staff, washing, linen, cleaning etc of a sit down customer.

However what they loose is drinks profits and higher end dishes being purchased.

If it’s a restaurant then it’s already staffed and they will be paying restaurant overheads and restaurant rates rather than takeaway rates. Plus, you can’t run a kitchen at 50% capability because of increased utilities; it’s either 100% or nothing. It all costs the same whether you have twenty customers or two. 
A lot of the problems within hospitality at the moment, is a shortage of waiting on staff ( poor pay and carp hours ) and this could have been a factor in the OP’s experience, in which case the manager should have made it known. 
A lot of restaurants are hanging on by their teeth at the moment due to a shortage of staff and increased costs; we just need to be patient. 
In Kelso recently the obviously stressed waiter/manager told us as we seated, that tonight they had a ‘no show’ and a novice, and informed us there could be a delay, for which he apologised. It didn’t matter to us as we were in no rush, and just enjoyed our drinks until the meal was ready. 
It was a great meal and we’ll be going again. 

I like my Indian curry and I phone my order through then I get a time to pick it up so if you sit at your table after I phoned why should you get your order before  me we both pay the same price an order is an order weather you pick up or sit at the restaurant 

7 hours ago, Scully said:

If it’s a restaurant then it’s already staffed and they will be paying restaurant overheads and restaurant rates rather than takeaway rates. Plus, you can’t run a kitchen at 50% capability because of increased utilities; it’s either 100% or nothing. It all costs the same whether you have twenty customers or two. 
A lot of the problems within hospitality at the moment, is a shortage of waiting on staff ( poor pay and carp hours ) and this could have been a factor in the OP’s experience, in which case the manager should have made it known. 
A lot of restaurants are hanging on by their teeth at the moment due to a shortage of staff and increased costs; we just need to be patient. 
In Kelso recently the obviously stressed waiter/manager told us as we seated, that tonight they had a ‘no show’ and a novice, and informed us there could be a delay, for which he apologised. It didn’t matter to us as we were in no rush, and just enjoyed our drinks until the meal was ready. 
It was a great meal and we’ll be going again. 

Was that the Vine Scully?

I was in McDonald's on the A303 and a customer in there was having a moan at the staff because the drive through customers were visibly getting priority over those waiting inside.

He was right too

On the food apps the restaurant get penalised if they keep the drivers waiting

Edited by Vince Green

17 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

If I don't like the service or food when I go somewhere, I don't make a fuss, I simply don't return again.

I find getting upset about it simply spoils what should be an enjoyable evening.

This. Sounds like you may have ruined your own evening as much as the restaurant had, with your demands over the bill etc. 

A polite reminder of your lengthy wait should have been enough, although I do understand how frustrating it can be in that situation! 

10 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I was in McDonald's on the A303 and a customer in there was having a moan at the staff because the drive through customers were visibly getting priority over those waiting inside.

He was right too

On the food apps the restaurant get penalised if they keep the drivers waiting

My wife’s first job was at McDonalds over 20 years ago, and she told me just that. Drive through take priority because of queuing traffic. One chain round here have had traffic complaints because the que blocks the main road at peak times!