Polling day

Bigteddy1954

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Bigteddy1954 said:

How do people vote if they don't have photo ID eg if you don't process a driving license or passport lots of elderly getting turned away is this another Tory ploy . To stop the working class and elderly voting for labour .

They have been telling you on telly for months about how to get photo id. 

32 minutes ago, Bigteddy1954 said:

How do people vote if they don't have photo ID eg if you don't process a driving license or passport lots of elderly getting turned away is this another Tory ploy . To stop the working class and elderly voting for labour .

Interesting take on it. Unsure how not have ID makes you a labour voter... 

That's like saying someone who doesn't drive must be a climate warrior... 

1 hour ago, Bigteddy1954 said:

Rubbish!!   

The perception is that Labour voters are less likely to have acceptable ID, or to remember to take it with them.

🤔Wouldn’t that also stop anyone voting Tory, or any party for that matter?  

To stop the working class and elderly voting for labour .

What utter nonsense.

1. It has been VERY widely publicised for several months you would need photo ID - and many forms are acceptable
  2. You could get a free voter ID  https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate
  3. Most elderly will have a senior bus pass which is fine for voting
  4. If the other "working class" have had insufficient organisation/incentive to get some sort of ID - they are unlikely to be sufficiently interested to vote anyway

Interesting question and hypothesis.  Strangely enough - Labour is the party that has consistently made efforts to have everyone in the UK to have ID papers.  God knows where you get the impression it is a tory ploy to deter labour voters voting.  But, if that's what you think well...........................:good:

Pushkin

3 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

Interesting question and hypothesis.  Strangely enough - Labour is the party that has consistently made efforts to have everyone in the UK to have ID papers.  God knows where you get the impression it is a tory ploy to deter labour voters voting.  But, if that's what you think well...........................:good:

Pushkin

I didn't say that that's what I think.  I said that that's the perception. It may or may not be relevant that in the last local elections there were just 7 cases nationwide of people suspected of impersonating others, and that no evidence was found in any of those cases. According to the media, 2 million people don't have an acceptable form of identity.

•  

GHE posted 48 minutes ago

I didn't say that that's what I think.  I said that that's the perception. It may or may not be relevant that in the last local elections there were just 7 cases nationwide of people suspected of impersonating others, and that no evidence was found in any of those cases. According to the media, 2 million people don't have an acceptable form of identity.

GHE  I was simply replying to the OPs initial question and was not relating it to any other poster.  Is there a perception in England that this is a ploy to prevent labour voters from voting?  I live in Scotland so do not know the answer to that.

:good:Pushkin

Interestingly, your F/arms or SG certificate, which contains a photo and is issued by the police after much scrutiny, is not on the list of photo ID acceptable to local authority polling staff.

A "bus pass" is acceptable. A document produced by civilians with a minimum of checking. As is a passport. Thousands of passports are forged every year. No one has ever been prosecuted for forging a FA licence.

4 hours ago, Bigteddy1954 said:

I would have thought that the vast majority of “elderly” folk would have learnt more sense than to vote Labour anyway.

54 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

I sat in a polling station carpark earlier today in Cambridge having a crafty break and i didn't see one person walk through the door. 

What sort of election was it?

i think alot of folk are just sick to the back teeth of all the promises ......lies...that flow out of both parties mouths.....

and they say to themselves......"why bloody bother....whatever vote you cast will make no difference whatso ever.."

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i think alot of folk are just sick to the back teeth of all the promises ......lies...that flow out of both parties mouths.....

and they say to themselves......"why bloody bother....whatever vote you cast will make no difference whatso ever.."

I agree in many ways - but these are local elections and so a bit different.  Although nominally 'party political' in fact there is relatively little to choose between the parties in respect of what they control locally mainly because ALL parties raise as much money (i.e. put the rates/council tax up) by limits set by central Gov't.  Similarly all have to provide levels of schooling, social services and similar - and again there is relatively little between them.

What may be an issue is the local representative - who is the person being elected and who carries the voters 'vote' in the council chamber. 

Round here, some live locally in the ward and are known local figures (i.e. attend events, attend Parish Council meetings, drink in the local pub, meet people about issues 'on the ground' like potholes, fly tipping, planning etc.  Their children attend the local schools, they use the local Dr.'s surgery, hit the same potholes, experience the same traffic issues.

Some do not even live locally and appear to have little or no connection with the ward.  It is hard to see how they could represent our opinions as they don't see/speak with/mix with local people.  I understand one standing locally actually lives in Liverpool (150 miles away).

My vote went to the local man, who I have met and spoken to, who answers my emails and who knows the local people and issues.  The party he 'stands for' was largely irrelevant.

21 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I agree in many ways - but these are local elections and so a bit different.  Although nominally 'party political' in fact there is relatively little to choose between the parties in respect of what they control locally mainly because ALL parties raise as much money (i.e. put the rates/council tax up) by limits set by central Gov't.  Similarly all have to provide levels of schooling, social services and similar - and again there is relatively little between them.

What may be an issue is the local representative - who is the person being elected and who carries the voters 'vote' in the council chamber. 

Round here, some live locally in the ward and are known local figures (i.e. attend events, attend Parish Council meetings, drink in the local pub, meet people about issues 'on the ground' like potholes, fly tipping, planning etc.  Their children attend the local schools, they use the local Dr.'s surgery, hit the same potholes, experience the same traffic issues.

Some do not even live locally and appear to have little or no connection with the ward.  It is hard to see how they could represent our opinions as they don't see/speak with/mix with local people.  I understand one standing locally actually lives in Liverpool (150 miles away).

My vote went to the local man, who I have met and spoken to, who answers my emails and who knows the local people and issues.  The party he 'stands for' was largely irrelevant.

Fair comment............:good:

but it has got to the stage where anyone who is connected with politics in any way....is unfortunatly covered in the same way.....and folk are totally jaded with the whole issue............which leaves the door open for radicle parties to take over...

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it has got to the stage where anyone who is connected with politics in any way....is unfortunatly covered in the same way.....and folk are totally jaded with the whole issue............which leaves the door open for radicle parties to take over...

I agree.

In my case, the incumbent is standing - and I shall vote for him again as he is local and is very much 'locally visible'.  We only have 3 candidates and all wear 'party labels' - and I don't know where the other two come from (none have sent me leaflets this time).

The next ward to mine, I understand one of the 'party' candidates comes from Liverpool and doesn't live locally at all.  They do have an independent - who does live in the ward and I expect will do well.

Just now, chesterse said:

Went to vote today and at 9.30 am two people had voted before us. Lot of interest then! 😂

Before I retired I was often the first to vote as I started early (usually in the office by 07:00).  I was at least twice 'witness' to the box being sealed.  I used to walk along and vote when walking my dog around to my father for the day whilst I was at the office - and the dog was always welcome!  The joys of rural polling stations.