Beginner - Essentials?

Hi All,

Sure it's been asked a million times before, but rubbish finding things with search, always seems to never be specific enough with the search terms...

Looking for a bit of advice, as I'm planning on getting my own kit now, as it turns out I get free shot at the pigeons along with a sim driven club I joined. Trying to work out what I need right from the off, and what can be put on the "get it, but later" list. 

Currently on the shopping list:

Decoys - just planning to do with these for now, eventually investing in a magnet as well, although been told about these "flapper" things that are dead good and can get ones that just go off the wind? https://www.fishingmegastore.com/decoys/jack-pyke-half-shell-pigeon-decoy-12-pack~81738.html#

Camo netting - do I need to get 2? I've only had 1 day out before, and the guide I was with doubled up? Was looking at this - https://www.fishingmegastore.com/camo-hides/jack-pyke-stealth-camo-net-4m-x-15m~68471.html#

Hide poles - Any recommendations on cheap and cheerful ones? Heard about getting stuff out of the garden centre but not quite sure what they sell them as?

Camp seat - just gonna grab something comfortable.

Have I missed anything or any recommendations I should add?

Cheers,

Chris

rekon you have it reasonably covered so far............

Get yourself a decent pair of binoculars and a s/steel theromos flask....and spend a lot of time in your truck on your patch ...just watching and asking yourself questions.....

• where are the birds coming from
  • where are the birds goingto
  • why are they feeding there
  • why arnt they feeding there
  • why are they in the trees
  • why arnt they landing
  • what is the wind direction
  • what crops are grown in the area

and many more questions...........

then when you set up...your attention might pay off.............

3 or 4 days watching ...learning...= an afternoons shooting is a good ratio

Personally I wouldn't get a magnet .First off .

I have one and probably use it for 5% of all my decoy days . It's big and heavy with battery and really can put birds off  . A flapper is cheaper and lighter and all round easier. 

I really like full bodied  decoys over shells or socks . 6  should do .

Get a swivel  seat ( this in my opinion  IS essential  )  1 net is fine and 4 sticks .

I use cheap washing line poles from the hardware shop about £4 each been working fine for years and years  and get about 10 big crocodile clips for attaching your net to poles and vegetation. 

Best thing is set up where pigeons want to be and when . 

Also you must fulfil the general licence requirements  before you shoot .this includes non leathal methods if applicable  .

Get a big net, you can double it or give yourself more space. 

Hide poles are inconsequential, you can use bungees, string, or just hang a net off branches to start out or even cut your own. Lighter than carrying and takes mere seconds.

Decoys: Try starting with a dead bird, fresher the better. Don't worry about patterns but do think about wind. Don't go buying stuff you can't carry just cos they look nice.

Seats are bulky so start with an old camping type fold up chair and don't expect it to last long. You can often pick them up 2nd hand for free or rescue from a skip.

Consider buying a few cradles for dead birds rather than a magnet. Cheaper and far lighter to carry. If not cradles, look on YouTube for videos of setting birds out on sticks.

KISS: Keep it simple, (I'll leave the other S for now)

The best thing you already have, eyes, and ears. Spend some time looking as Ditchy said above. 

Mate has a whirly and a magnet, I don’t. The difference between the bags we get ( often on the same day but different parts of a field ) you could count on the fingers of one hand. The only reasons I don’t have one is that I can’t be bothered to lug a lot of gear about, I’m not convinced they make a huge difference, and lastly, in my experience if the birds are there and wanting to feed you’re likely to do ok; if they’re not then a magnet won’t improve things. 
I have a few shell deeks, a couple of bobbers and that’s it for decoys. 
I use two nets because corvids aren’t daft, and the cheapest telescopic poles I could find. A crow caller and that’s it. Oh, a folding chair. I like to be comfy and perching on a stool all day does my back in. 
Have fun. 

I would add to the above that if you can identify a bit of wood that birds like to go and sit and digest in after feeding or a strong flight line then you can shoot pigeons without any kit apart from a gun and cartridges. Setting up for decoying under either of these circumstances will at least result in you getting some shooting even if you have not quite got the decoying bit right. 

Some of my most enjoyable days have been setting off with just a gun and 25 cartridges and seeing how many birds I can take. I use natural cover and set dead birds up on sticks. Keep very still and only move your eyes as the birds come in until you are ready to shoot.

Thanks all for the replies! Looks like I've got a pretty good list to buy now.

Can't wait to get to the shops and buy a load of **** that's not on it as well 😂

If I could ask, as I'm probably being a bit thick... I've seen these "hypa-flap" things on ebay which someone else recommended to me, they seem lightweight (non-motor version) and affordable enough that I could get 1 just to try. Thing is, it specifically says it doesn't come with any kind of pole for it! Looks like it can just get stuck on a big straight pole to bob along but not sure what kind of pole am I looking at? 😅 

Cheers!

if youve never done it before go cheap cheap cheap imo you can alway upgrade or buy better and that website isnt very cheap. its all made in the same factories in china anyway.  plently of  2nd hand kit kicking about thats an option. ill drop a link to the website i got all my gear from when starting out and have over the years built it up or replaced with better.

https://www.nitehawkproducts.co.uk/

as someone said above get a book ahd have a read and just like the gear itself you can get them 2nd hand for peanuts too

https://www.wob.com/en-gb/category/all?search=pigeon shooting

if you cant get yourself squared away just dipping your toe in for under 100 quid youre doing it wrong mate.

Edited by Sweet11-87

Dont be a salemans dream................there are folk out there.........YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE :lol:.............who will always buy the latest gizmo........if a slick video appears on u-tube of pigeon decoys with rotating diamond encrusted propellers up their jacksie's....bringing the birds in so they have to be shot with a belt fed 12 bore...............

these people are called "SUCKERS".......they are snake oil saleman's prey.............

there are garages and lofts and sheds totally full of nonsensical carp......and the owners are too frightened/ashamed to get rid of them:lol:..............

1. plain decoys....(even bits of grey plastic guttering)
  2. flapper
  3. magnet (if you are desperate)
  4. gun
  5. cartridges
  6. net
  7. poles
  8. thermos flask
  9. snap
  10. comfy chair

and work it from there...:good:

31 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Dont be a salemans dream................there are folk out there.........YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE .............who will always buy the latest gizmo........if a slick video appears on u-tube of pigeon decoys with rotating diamond encrusted propellers up their jacksie's....bringing the birds in so they have to be shot with a belt fed 12 bore...............

these people are called "SUCKERS".......they are snake oil saleman's prey.............

there are garages and lofts and sheds totally full of nonsensical carp......and the owners are too frightened/ashamed to get rid of them..............

1. plain decoys....(even bits of grey plastic guttering)
  2. flapper
  3. magnet (if you are desperate)
  4. gun
  5. cartridges
  6. net
  7. poles
  8. thermos flask
  9. snap
  10. comfy chair

and work it from there...:good:

You said we have never met even though you lived in range of a punt gun from my back yard and somehow you have nosed in my garage to name everything I have got laying about, to name them in rotation , yes sadly I have got a good number of ole decoys and I can honestly say they have been to war and had gun shot flying around there bodies many times as some have been discharged from active service with lead poison  .

The hand made flapper was kindly given to me by one of the P W members and the magnet came from another member and it is still going strong after about five years of owning it .

I have got a few guns ( five ) but not lying about in the garage , often cleaned in the garage but put in the cabinet when cleaning have finished.

Nets , yes of course , no one can have enough nets , even though some rarely get used , but you never know when you need a extra net.

Cartridges , or should I say some are kept in the garage and again a lot of these came off P W members , O B and T C to name two amongst others .

Poles, yes several in fact , most of them are past the sell by date but I always put an extra pole in my bag so I take five instead of four.

Flask , I have got an old Standly Green metal flask and t b h it was the dearest and the worse one I have had so it now never get used

Not sure what a snap is but chair wise I have got a few from a directors chair to a office swivel chair .

Then several wire cradels ( home made ) floaters and so on and so on .

:lol:

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

John, SNAP is what you'll eat while decoying! a "bit of snap"  :good:

usually spam and oinion

spam and mustard

spam and pickle

cheese and onion

cheese and pickle

stuff that can be quickly made without bothering the mrs.....suplimented by a pie from the Spa shop on the way

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

usually spam and oinion

spam and mustard

spam and pickle

cheese and onion

cheese and pickle

stuff that can be quickly made without bothering the mrs.....suplimented by a pie from the Spa shop on the way

I never thought you a posh *** till now. What's wrong wi bread and jam?😁

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Old Boggy is the PW Authority on picnicking in the countryside whilst in possession of a gun!   

:lol:.....................................i can feel a very serious thread a' comin' orn........."snap for the shooting man/woman".................available at WH Smiths...(bestsellar)

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

Oh dear.............when is the operation:lol:

And here I was thinking I was fairly normal , the surplus to requirements was only in the front of the garage , I darent think what would be in the back , why I keep the batteries and bits and pieces, that need burying I don't know but I am certainly not a member of the throwaway nation :lol:

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

John, SNAP is what you'll eat while decoying! a "bit of snap"  :good:

Never heard of Snap , card game yes but not something you take to eat on a decoying session , no food is ever planed , it's a case of taking whatever is lying about , maybe a Banana , Apple or a left over cake , drink wise it is coffee when it is cold and a cold drink when it is warm / hot , when it is very hot I take a bottle of dilutted drink straight out of the freezer and leave it in the sun to thaw out , my wife always prepare the dogs water and eats and leave me to look after myself and it wouldn't be the first time where I have drunk some of his water and eatten a couple of his biscuts , maybe Simon was right , I do need a operation :drinks:

I'm slowly selling my gear, just don't need it ! Good camo (not the must have fashion rubbish) fishing Box seat or swivel top bucket, both handy with storage space to carry kit. Cradles or neck props for dead birds plus a couple of shells. Gloves, hat, face covering. I have poles / net but i mostly sit in front of a tall hedge behind tall weeds / grass.  Sit Watch & Learn !! 

On 04/05/2023 at 22:23, Speycaster said:

Hi All,

Sure it's been asked a million times before, but rubbish finding things with search, always seems to never be specific enough with the search terms...

Looking for a bit of advice, as I'm planning on getting my own kit now, as it turns out I get free shot at the pigeons along with a sim driven club I joined. Trying to work out what I need right from the off, and what can be put on the "get it, but later" list. 

Currently on the shopping list:

Decoys - just planning to do with these for now, eventually investing in a magnet as well, although been told about these "flapper" things that are dead good and can get ones that just go off the wind? https://www.fishingmegastore.com/decoys/jack-pyke-half-shell-pigeon-decoy-12-pack~81738.html#

Camo netting - do I need to get 2? I've only had 1 day out before, and the guide I was with doubled up? Was looking at this - https://www.fishingmegastore.com/camo-hides/jack-pyke-stealth-camo-net-4m-x-15m~68471.html#

Hide poles - Any recommendations on cheap and cheerful ones? Heard about getting stuff out of the garden centre but not quite sure what they sell them as?

Camp seat - just gonna grab something comfortable.

Have I missed anything or any recommendations I should add?

Cheers,

Chris

Cant knock your enthusiasm but as you say by joining this sim driven club you also have access to some pigeon shooting but so will everyone else (thats not to say they all will) so a couple of questions, what is the acreage? What crops are grown? have you seen any pigeons or at least a flightline or two?

On 06/05/2023 at 08:30, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Old Boggy is the PW Authority on picnicking in the countryside whilst in possession of a gun!   :cool1:

I don`t know what you mean TC???

Last time out it was home made sausage rolls (courtesy of Mrs Stour boy), cheese and onion slices, home made lemon drizzle cake (again by Mrs Stour boy) and cherry bakewells courtesy of Mr.Kipling. :good:Oh and for the record, we didn`t shoot many pigeons.:no:

OB

IMG_1241.JPG

On 05/05/2023 at 08:05, Scully said:

Mate has a whirly and a magnet, I don’t. The difference between the bags we get ( often on the same day but different parts of a field ) you could count on the fingers of one hand. The only reasons I don’t have one is that I can’t be bothered to lug a lot of gear about, I’m not convinced they make a huge difference, and lastly, in my experience if the birds are there and wanting to feed you’re likely to do ok; if they’re not then a magnet won’t improve things. 
I have a few shell deeks, a couple of bobbers and that’s it for decoys. 
I use two nets because corvids aren’t daft, and the cheapest telescopic poles I could find. A crow caller and that’s it. Oh, a folding chair. I like to be comfy and perching on a stool all day does my back in. 
Have fun. 

Scully, could you please explain the difference between a whirly and a magnet.  

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I don`t know what you mean TC

Last time out it was home made sausage rolls (courtesy of Mrs Stour boy), cheese and onion slices, home made lemon drizzle cake (again by Mrs Stour boy) and cherry bakewells courtesy of Mr.Kipling. :good:Oh and for the record, we didn`t shoot many pigeons.

OB

IMG_1241.JPG

Scully, could you please explain the difference between a whirly and a magnet.  

Sorry, I meant a flapper and a magnet!