Crayfish

wymberley

Because I don't know, have I got this right?

Is grey squirrel - squirrel pox - red squirrel the same sort of thing as  - signal crayfish - crayfish plague - white-clawed crayfish? It seems dosh is being dished out to improve the numbers of our native variety which it seems is in serious decline, but I can't see any reference to reducing those of the invaders.

White clawed Crayfish are non native to Scotland, but the relocations were approved by Government.

Signals are also non native and spreading both naturally and artificially all over Scotland and we're originally escapes and not approved.

Loch Ken is full of Signals (literally tens of tonnes), but due to the NatScot restrictions we are not allowed to trap them without an individual licence which they will only grant to the landowners in general.

However, I know there are those out there less inclined to ask Big Gov for permission and they report the Signals are delicious.

Edited by Stonepark

47 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

White clawed Crayfish are non native to Scotland, but the relocations were approved by Government.

Signals are also non native and spreading both naturally and artificially all over Scotland and we're originally escapes and not approved.

Loch Ken is full of Signals (literally tens of tonnes), but due to the NatScot restrictions we are not allowed to trap them without an individual licence which they will only grant to the landowners in general.

However, I know there are those out there less inclined to ask Big Gov for permission and they report the Signals are delicious.

all it needs is for the restrictions to be lifted and a conserted effort by well known chefs to show how delis' the american crayfish is.....they could be well under control within a couple of years...............i understand they deplete the food souce for our own indiginous fish and also like to feast upon the eggs (spawn) of fish......getting them under control would be a big win win for our rivers and lochs and lake..........

all it needs is a small dose of common sense.....which within the govt' is like hens teeth

46 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Last time that I tried to apply for a licence it said that they weren't processing them.

Come on now - you can't expect civil servants to actually do the job they are paid for.  There will be some excuse like "we can't do that from home because of data protection"

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

all it needs is for the restrictions to be lifted and a conserted effort by well known chefs to show how delis' the american crayfish is.....they could be well under control within a couple of years...............i understand they deplete the food souce for our own indiginous fish and also like to feast upon the eggs (spawn) of fish......getting them under control would be a big win win for our rivers and lochs and lake..........

It's not possible to control them, at least that is the experience we have here in Sweden.

/Markus

59 minutes ago, Nuke said:

It's not possible to control them, at least that is the experience we have here in Sweden.

/Markus

well if you stopped eating 400 year old femented shark that smells like rotton cheese and dead bodies and went for something wholesome like crayfish pizza...thatwould make a difference

i mean to say what has some poor old deepwater shark ..that was swimming about in the time of Henry the 8th...ever done to deserve being hunted by earstwhile vilkings ..eh ?

:lol:....:good:

1 hour ago, muncher said:

The local eel man makes more money on the crabs than eels, apparently the Chinese live them and pay a premium for them. 

did read that mitten crabs from a particular lake in china fetch very serious money..................apparently over 100,000 tonnes of mitten crabs were eaten last year in the far east...........

On 09/06/2023 at 17:18, harrycatcat1 said:

Last time that I tried to apply for a licence it said that they weren't processing them.

The reason, it is believed, that they are not giving out licences  is because the biggest predator on baby red crayfish are bigger red crayfish.  Hardly a good reason in my mind 

But I know people who are catching crayfish. If you go down to the river Chess near us today you will see kids with drop nets and buckets hanging off the bridge 

Edited by Vince Green

It appears the suspension of granting crayfish licences has been lifted! or so it seems from the EA website.

Good news for me as I have access to a clean stretch of water that has a decent population, free food.

I think they're absolutely delicious, I used to net some in a local stream but it was a bit hit and miss as the bulk of them are in a (private) spring fed lake.

Check out the excellent Scott Rea on youtube for some trapping/cooking ideas.