Jack Pyke quality

gmm243

I have heard over the years of the poor quality of some of the Jack Pyke clothing. Is this still the case?

I saw their soft shell jacket which looked good and if bought would be used for early season stalking and some pigeon shooting. Not beating or anything too strenuous.  I just want something to replace a much worn and very useful soft shell I bought from Aldi years ago and has not been seen there since. 

I have no experience with JP clothing bar one of my sons having a gilet which has proved to be fine.

Thanks. 

I've got 2 jp gilets with a few loose threads hanging out of them.  Also 1 developed a hole in the pocket and the zip keeps jamming on the material.

I haven't had them that long so would i buy jp stuff again i have to say l'm not sure. But i would not pay £100 for another brand gilet.

I also have a Shooterking fleece gilet and it's very thin but fits under my tweed jacket a treat not being bulky. 

Edited by samboy
Added a bit.

I bought some Jack Pike ‘Weardale’ winter lined trousers at the beginning of last autumn. As they were only £50 I didn’t expect much. However they’ve been brilliant. I’ve tried my best to wear them out through all sorts of outdoor tasks. I just kept washing and wearing them. They’re still fine. I’m going to buy another pair for when they finally pack up. I have no experience of any other Jack Pyke products. 

I've had a few bits of theirs including waterproof coats and they are certainly not the worst. I think for the money they are pretty good, I've had a pair of their over trousers which I use for beating for 4 years now and although they have frayed at the bottom of the legs on the reinforced section, they are still watertight and despite the best attempts of brambles and gorse, tear free. On the other hand I had a pair of their water boots which didnt last a season and split across the top just behind the toe section. Contrasted with deerhunter which are a slightly more expensive brand, I would say they are just as good quality wise.

Some of their stuff is absolute **** and some of their stuff is decent enough for the price. 

I wouldn’t bother with the clothing. 

I have 2 game bags, both seem very different, not sure if they completely changed them. The more modern one is excellent. The older one not as good but good enough I suppose. 

I have a JP gun slip, had it for years, excellent.

JP fleece gilet, poor fit and looking tatty now.

Several styles of JP cartridge bag, all holding up fine.

An older style JP skeet vest, brilliant, doesn't fit now as I'm fat...ter! I'd buy another if they still made them.

JP moleskin trousers, good fit and quality.

Plus a few other bits and pieces of theirs, it's a budget brand, suits me.

Not really the choice to make if you're going to be spending 12 hours stalking in the highlands, but for a days rough shooting or a couple of hours on the clays it's fine.

I will say their sizing on clothes is all over the place though, making it impossible to buy anything on line with any certainty of fit.

Thank you all for your replies.

Seems to be a really mixed bag of reports. Not sure what to do now and especially after the last report as there is nowhere local to try the clothes on so was going to buy online.

Think I will go to my local shop and see what they have in stock. Most prob will be Deerhunter as they don't stock JP.

My ex gave me a JP jacket maybe 10 years ago, back then I was skint having just bought my first house, and was going out shooting in Marcuss of Bristol's finest German army surplus.

It was great, and is still going strong, but these days I have better options.  Not that waterproof, but fine for an English autumn.  I've got other JP gear, particularly rate their long sleeved camo T-shirts, good for avoidance of ticks at this time of year, without being too warm.

Would definitely echo the try before you buy sentiment though.  Sizes all over the place.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

Cannot comment on their clothing but I`ve had one of their 120 litre bags in green now for about 10 years and it`s still as good as new and taken out most weeks. The straps are well padded so making it very comfortable even with a very heavy load. Also got a couple of their cartridge bags which serve their purpose ok.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

38 minutes ago, Fargo said:

You have to remember it’s most likely  clothing made in Chinese sweatshops and made to cost - I’d imagine a £50 item is made for £3-4.

Seems fair.

£4 item
£1 packaging, tagging, wrapping
£1 handling in country onto pallets
£2 transport to port for international travel
£5 to ship from China to UK
35% import tax = £4ish
Total so far £18

40% markup for JP = £7.20
40% markup for end retailer = £10
Subtotal: £35ish

VAT added: Total £42

Rough sums made up but yes, very reasonable assumption!