Premium Bonds

steve_b_wales

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

How do you buy them, keep on track, see what you’ve won etc? 

Lloyd you can buy online, over the phone or download an application form and pay by cheque, you can opt to have winnings up to whatever value you like reinvested automatically as new bonds or paid to you. Minimum purchase is £100 but your money tied up is safe and you can take your money out anytime just cash in the bond's. I've had a couple of hundred quid or so this year. I have anything upto £100 paid in new bond's. 

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

I had £10 worth when I was born. Won nothing on it in 35 years. My Nan had the max on them and would regularly win something back. I guess the more you have in, the higher the chance of winning.

"they" say you need £7500 to win regular to make it worth while...

7 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

I had £10 worth when I was born. Won nothing on it in 35 years. My Nan had the max on them and would regularly win something back. I guess the more you have in, the higher the chance of winning.

When I was an apprentice, we had a club where we all put in some money each week and every so often you received a £10 bond. I have a couple of hundred bonds from late 1960 and never won a bean

3 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

You have to have a lot of them,preferably the maximum and then you might get 3.5% return(but tax free) on average,maybe £1,800 a year. Most people will do better now in a 4.75% fixed bond.

More people will do better but even though the payout may be 4,75% most people will get far less. 

you get an averge non taxable payout and also you have the chance of cashing in big....gives you something to look forward with fun at the beginning of every month....and unlike gambling you wont loose your stake..........whats not to like ?

57 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Premium bonds are currently paying 3.7% return,going up to 4% in August,needs to be higher to offset 10%+ inflation!

Of course you need to bear in mind the % is an average not a guarantee…..some win more and some much less! 
I did ok with them when I had 45k worth, but shifted some into a one year fixed isa and with 25k now the winnings have noticeably dropped off. 
There’s luck involved with it, good idea if you need tax free savings but otherwise at the moment with interest rates on savings accounts so much higher I’d go for a fixed term account and get a guaranteed return.